What's new

Gillette Toggle Disassembly

From what i have read around the forums. The 1-5 Dial toggle (Super Rare) has a different adjust dial operation blade tray along with the toggle lever works very differently with very tight tolerances all around This sets the 1-5 prototype toggle well apart from the d-1 or f-4 toggles. Wish i had a 1-5 toggle case and all and what a pretty set in the pig skin leather boxes.

Captain, if ones owns a minty toggle but uses it here and there, where do you recommend oiling it and how often and with what type of oil?? Thanks LB

From what i have read around the forums. The 1-5 Dial toggle (Super Rare) has a different adjust dial operation blade tray along with the toggle lever works very differently with very tight tolerances all around This sets the 1-5 prototype toggle well apart from the d-1 or f-4 toggles. Wish i had a 1-5 toggle case and all and what a pretty set in the pig skin leather boxes.

Captain, if ones owns a minty toggle but uses it here and there, where do you recommend oiling it and how often and with what type of oil?? Thanks LB

Yeah, there's a few obvious differences in the two designs. All I know is they all fetch some coin!

To answer your question about oiling, I think you'd be fine with light oiling it once a month down the door rod, (from either end) and under the adjuster dial., I'd say no more than two drops. You can actually turn the dial to 9 and pinch the safety bar piece up and it'll expose a small gap where you can apply oil. Coconut or vegetable oil would probably be fine in this case. That's what I use on the other adjustables. If you using it here and there though, you might not even have to oil it at all.....

I saw a thing somewhere the guy was using the same stuff I use on my clutch cable and throttle cables (throttle and return) on my Harley. I usually the dry slide stuff. It has the needle feed on the tip to apply. I'm not sure if it would yield the same effect as the oils mentioned or not.

I saw a thing somewhere the guy was using the same stuff I use on my clutch cable and throttle cables (throttle and return) on my Harley. I usually the dry slide stuff. It has the needle feed on the tip to apply. I'm not sure if it would yield the same effect as the oils mentioned or not.
I suppose one could use any lubricant they were comfortable with possibly getting on their skin. I wouldn't recommend using something that would be potentially harmful to the body however...WD 40, 3 in 1, gun oil, etc.

Yeah, there's a few obvious differences in the two designs. All I know is they all fetch some coin!

To answer your question about oiling, I think you'd be fine with light oiling it once a month down the door rod, (from either end) and under the adjuster dial., I'd say no more than two drops. You can actually turn the dial to 9 and pinch the safety bar piece up and it'll expose a small gap where you can apply oil. Coconut or vegetable oil would probably be fine in this case. That's what I use on the other adjustables. If you using it here and there though, you might not even have to oil it at all.....

Thank you Captain! I have some electric shaver blade oil which i think would be mineral oil. Also how does one keep the inside of the razor from getting all that gunk and corrosion from building up or potentially damaging the internal mechanism as especially seen in the 1-5 bottom dial. I know that one has some corrosive aluminum parts, but figure the later had better construction like d-1 or f-4's etc.. I just don't want to put any undue wear on the inside if i don't have to or worry about it. These razors are not cheap so i am glad your here Cap to put us on the correct path for care and maintenance... Thanks again Cap.. Lb

Last edited:
Thank you Captain! I have some electric shaver blade oil which i think would be mineral oil. Also how does one keep the inside of the razor from getting all that gunk and corrosion from building up or potentially damaging the internal mechanism as especially seen in the 1-5 bottom dial. I know that one has some corrosive aluminum parts, but figure the later had better construction like d-1 or f-4's etc.. I just don't want to put any undue wear on the inside if i don't have to or worry about it. These razors are not cheap so i am glad your here Cap to put us on the correct path for care and maintenance... Thanks again Cap.. Lb
Don't mention it, LB:thumbup: Electric shaver oil should work just fine. My biggest concern would be what is going to affect your skin and the plating on the razor. As for keeping the inside of the razor from getting all of that gunk and buildup, I think that all comes down to responsible use and maintenance. For example, most of the crud we have seen is concentrated in one area, the head. More specifically, under the adjuster plate and the inside of the adjuster dial. When I use a fatboy, I try and rinse with the razor as upside down as possible. For those who fill the sink up and rinse that way, I would recommend immersing only what you need to in order to rinse off the lather...don't deep six the poor thing just to rinse soap or cream off the safety bar:tongue_sm. In addition to this, I have mentioned before that opening the razor doors up and standing it upside down on the doors to let it dry seems like the best route. This is going to prevent any free water and soap/cream residue from entering the lower portions of the head. Let's be realistic here however, the razor is going to get a little residue buildup but we can at least minimize it, right? Some of those cruddy fatboys we have seen were a result of harsh use in a wet environment..then again, who cared back then? These weren't even $5:blink:

Last edited:
Well gents, the Toggle featured in this thread has been boxed up and sent to Chris Evatt for some new gold plating. It'll be a hot minute before it returns as the holidays are here. Unless we get another toggle to play with, this thread will be pretty quiet. I still need to post the illustrated photos I promised:blushing:

When I get the parts back from Chris, I'll post up some photos! Thanks for everything guys, this has been a fun project!

Don't mention it, LB:thumbup: Electric shaver oil should work just fine. My biggest concern would be what is going to affect your skin and the plating on the razor. As for keeping the inside of the razor from getting all of that gunk and buildup, I think that all comes down to responsible use and maintenance. For example, most of the crud we have seen is concentrated in one area, the head. More specifically, under the adjuster plate and the inside of the adjuster dial. When I use a fatboy, I try and rinse with the razor as upside down as possible. For those who fill the sink up and rinse that way, I would recommend immersing only what you need to in order to rinse off the lather...don't deep six the poor thing just to rinse soap or cream off the safety bar:tongue_sm. In addition to this, I have mentioned before that opening the razor doors up and standing it upside down on the doors to let it dry seems like the best route. This is going to prevent any free water and soap/cream residue from entering the lower portions of the head. Let's be realistic here however, the razor is going to get a little residue buildup but we can at least minimize it, right? Some of those cruddy fatboys we have seen were a result of harsh use in a wet environment..then again, who cared back then? These weren't even $5:blink:

Thank you Cap! Great advise from the pro! I hear around some people immerse there whole razor in Dawn dish soap and soak for a while, and then let it dry for a day.. Your thoughts. Again Thank you Captain!

Thank you Cap! Great advise from the pro! I hear around some people immerse there whole razor in Dawn dish soap and soak for a while, and then let it dry for a day.. Your thoughts. Again Thank you Captain!
You're welcome, LB! My thoughts on soaking the entire razor in hot water and dawn dish soap? Absolutely! Maybe I haven't mentioned it in this thread yet but I actually give my fatboy a nice hot soak in water and dish soap until the water cools and then I toss it in the ultrasonic cleaner for one cycle then dry as previously mentioned and this keeps it looking brand new:biggrin: IMO, getting soapy water in the internals and allowing it to thoroughly dry for a day won't hurt a thing, as far as crud buildup and functionality goes.

You're welcome, LB! My thoughts on soaking the entire razor in hot water and dawn dish soap? Absolutely! Maybe I haven't mentioned it in this thread yet but I actually give my fatboy a nice hot soak in water and dish soap until the water cools and then I toss it in the ultrasonic cleaner for one cycle then dry as previously mentioned and this keeps it looking brand new:biggrin: IMO, getting soapy water in the internals and allowing it to thoroughly dry for a day won't hurt a thing, as far as crud buildup and functionality goes.

Great to know Captain, i will use this method.. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all here at B.B. Cheers..LB.

For all subscribed to/viewing this thread, I want to extend my most sincere thanks and appreciation for contributing to such an entertaining yet educational thread. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

For all subscribed to/viewing this thread, I want to extend my most sincere thanks and appreciation for contributing to such an entertaining yet educational thread. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Captain, Wishing you a safe and enjoyable Holiday season Happy new year and many new razors to conquer! Best. LB

Top Bottom