What's new

Gillette Toggle Disassembly

Cap, I'm going to have to send you mine once you're back in action. I'm not sure what the problem is, it adjusts perfectly, but it doesn't open completely when the toggle is flipped to the full open position. Almost like the spring isn't pushing it all the way open. I've done all the usual stuff, like soaking and oiling.

Cap, I'm going to have to send you mine once you're back in action. I'm not sure what the problem is, it adjusts perfectly, but it doesn't open completely when the toggle is flipped to the full open position. Almost like the spring isn't pushing it all the way open. I've done all the usual stuff, like soaking and oiling.

Sounds good, Sir. It could be a spring, bent safety bar, or even a door hinge causing some friction. I'll be happy to help you once I return. Thanks!

Figured I'd throw up a couple of photos in case this is normal Toggle behavior.

This is as wide as the doors will open on setting number 1:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424723003.015950.jpg

Here is setting number 9:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424723083.247820.jpg

Regardless of what setting its on, I noticed that the toggle itself has a gap between it and the handle shaft when open. Even if I try to push up on it, the gap remains:

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424723202.331105.jpg

It's almost like something inside the razor is preventing it from opening completely.

Figured I'd throw up a couple of photos in case this is normal Toggle behavior.

This is as wide as the doors will open on setting number 1:

View attachment 551578

Here is setting number 9:

View attachment 551579

Regardless of what setting its on, I noticed that the toggle itself has a gap between it and the handle shaft when open. Even if I try to push up on it, the gap remains:

View attachment 551581

It's almost like something inside the razor is preventing it from opening completely.
You Know what Scotty, I think your toggle has something that is preventing it from extending as far as it needs to go. I just checked that gap on another minty toggle and it does not have that gap by the toggle lever when opened. Just spit-balling here but it could be the retainer washer on the inside, crud, the springs OR, a combination of everything. Have given it some hot hot soaks?

Fine job Sir! I appreciate your work on this!

Thank you! It was my pleasure!

You Know what Scotty, I think your toggle has something that is preventing it from extending as far as it needs to go. I just checked that gap on another minty toggle and it does not have that gap by the toggle lever when opened. Just spit-balling here but it could be the retainer washer on the inside, crud, the springs OR, a combination of everything. Have given it some hot hot soaks?

Although I'm disappointed she has some warts, I'm relieved to hear this as I thought something must have been wrong with it.

I've done the hot water/dawn overnight soak, scrubbing bubbles overnight soak, and most recently a varsol overnight soak followed by a liberal soaking with CLP/Breakfree. None of the aforementioned has been able to resolve the issue, but did remove a fair bit of green gunk. All of the other functions work well, i.e. the adjuster turns with a nice click on each position, and when the toggle is functioned, the doors pop open snappy, just not as much as they should be. So as you say, something is limiting the travel.

I was already contemplating the disassemble and replate treatment for it. This is making the idea more palatable. Would you be willing to take it on similar to the original toggle in this post?

Although I'm disappointed she has some warts, I'm relieved to hear this as I thought something must have been wrong with it.

I've done the hot water/dawn overnight soak, scrubbing bubbles overnight soak, and most recently a varsol overnight soak followed by a liberal soaking with CLP/Breakfree. None of the aforementioned has been able to resolve the issue, but did remove a fair bit of green gunk. All of the other functions work well, i.e. the adjuster turns with a nice click on each position, and when the toggle is functioned, the doors pop open snappy, just not as much as they should be. So as you say, something is limiting the travel.

I was already contemplating the disassemble and replate treatment for it. This is making the idea more palatable. Would you be willing to take it on similar to the original toggle in this post?

Interesting Scotty. You know, one thing that I have been noticing with these toggles (and I've only worked on a few) is that they are fairly watertight. I have been working on one for CzechCzar and it is seized up very badly so disassembly is our only option, unless we want to stick with a toggle on a set adjustment and a poor functioning toggle action. The spring-loaded piece that presses into the end of the handle on this one was locked up to the point it was affecting how the toggle worked. I have just barely made an advance after multiple soaks, ultrasonic cycles, and a combination of freeze/heat application. What I found kind of surprised me, given the tight construction of these.

Upon my return, I would absolutely love to help you out. After this toggle I am working on, I've just about seen the worst:lol:

Here is that toggle

Before:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425054857.215611.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425054896.650880.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425054915.010111.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425054929.901801.jpg
This one has a free-spinning adjuster dial. It's range is from 5-9 and there is no apparent "click" when the dial is turned. This worries me as the spring could possibly be broken. If so, this may be a click less toggle once it is freed up, assuming it does. Additionally, this one has a seized adjustment plate and a seized pivot collet. It needs some work!

I soaked this thing about 20 times before I even thought about taking tools to it. Even after multiple soaks in various solutions, there seemed to be no improvement in functionality. I also gave it multiple cycles in the ultrasonic bath and that proved to be useless. This one was STUCK.

So, I was up late last night and I was able to make some progress. Essentially, my toggle methods are still in a seemingly barbaric stage but the methods are effective and I have been able to take these toggles apart without damaging any parts or making tooling marks. Here are some photos of this toggle after I managed to get the pivot collet piece out.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425055515.798257.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425055526.550691.jpg

Here are some photos of the toggle in a solution (50/50 mix of water and distiller vinegar) to pulverize some of that crud:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425055709.993653.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425055720.598856.jpg
This one didn't see the green cloth as it was just so filthy so it went straight into the drink. Notice the severe pitting of the base metal on the safety bars. This toggle is hurt:lol:

Wow. Mine shouldn't (I hope not) provide that level of a challenge by the looks of it, but it's nice to see your equipped to go deep if need be!

...it's nice to see your equipped to go deep if need be!

Oh man...this just became an understatement. This toggle is so bad, I have decided to completely dissect it. Yes, the adjustment mechanism that I was reluctant to even think about touching on that first toggle I did. CzechCzar, hold on to your boots.

Oh man...this just became an understatement. This toggle is so bad, I have decided to completely dissect it. Yes, the adjustment mechanism that I was reluctant to even think about touching on that first toggle I did. CzechCzar, hold on to your boots.
:popc:
The saga continues. Looking forward to watching you blaze this trail, as always, CAP!

Here is the t bar removed from the razor body. I had to work at this to get it to come out. No prying or anything foolish like that but long hot vinegar soaks. In this photo, there is still quite a bit of buildup:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425078567.630212.jpg

Here we have the head assembly punched out of the handle section. Again, showing some green buildup:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425078618.941185.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425078632.375481.jpg
This toggle also shows signs of previous tampering which likely involved the bright idea to grab a pair of pliers and wrap them around the bare adjuster dial. See the marring on the vertical splines of the dial? ...Sigh...

Last edited:
Just finished reading this thread from start to finish. It makes the desire to obtain one of these marvels increase to almost ridiculous levels! I personally love the engineering that went into these.

But... the anticipation never ends with this thread! :a48:

Great Job Cap!

Top Bottom