What's new

How I Lather Mystic Waters

HOWEVER, about a week ago I rushed it and did something wrong and got a bowl of the famous disappearing lather. Suddenly I understood what some guys complain about, the lather just vanished from my face.

I had kind of a similar experience. I never knew what anyone was talking about when they reported problems lathering MW; I never had any issues and always had great results. But one time, about a month and a half ago, I did something wrong and it was just like everyone says - disappearing lather. Never had that problem before, haven't had it since. It was bad, though, and I understand how people could be turned off to MW if that is their usual result. My usual result with MW is awesome; I think its a great soap.

I sacrifice a male goat from the Isle of Man, procured from a Manx only speaking Norseman. That really helps with the perfect lather.

This is something I'd like to see as well. Pics, or it did not happen... [emoji6]

I just used mystic waters yesterday. Couldn't for the life of me figure it out. It kept coming up this foamy bubbly mess.

Things I figured out after almost an hour of trial and error.

Loading is a pain with a soft tip brush on a soft soap. My EJ super badger required a lot of adding of water on the puck itself. My Plisson synthetic and Boars did a much better job of loading.

A warm scuttle did not work for me (cold scuttle didn't either for that matter). I found the biggest factor in creating a foamy mess was using my DB scuttle with web pattern. I think my scuttle's ridges are a bit deep which causes more air to get incorporated and leads to the foamy mess. I had similar problem with Al's Fougere About it; the scuttle is however fantastic with everything else thus far.

Cold melamine soup bowl from target did rather well as long as I didn't add to much water too quickly.

The best, however, was face lathering. Damn. It was slick, it was thick, it was all around great! If you want it 'warm' use warm water to wet the soap on your face.

Yep you arrived at some of the key points - 1) start with a damp brush and add water slowly 2) do not add heat, save your scuttle for a different soap.

And I agree, Mystic Water soap works great for face lathering. I used some Irish Traveler with a CH2 today and it was perfect.

Last edited:
Just tried my first sample MW Vanilla Sandalwood. OMG. Amazing!!! This stuff smells great. Lathers easily. And the post shave is awesome. I actually prefer the post shave scent left over the smell straight off the puck or lather. And I found all the fuss about the difficulty in lathering this soap to be false in my experience. I live in Southern California which has hard water. And this stuff was a breeze to lather for me. I highly recommend

Just bought the new frankincense and myrrh scent. I've been wanting one so badly but no one made one except mama bear (which burned my skin) and QCS (which is too expensive imho). Excited for it to come in, I already performance is top notch

Just got a few samples of MW and lathered my first one yesterday before reading this post. Vanilla Sandalwood. I did everything "wrong." Hot water and semi-dry brush. But I did soak the sample for about five minutes. Absolutely no problems. Rich, fine smelling lather. And I'm the sort of person who took a while to learn to lather Stirling (though it's now one of my favorites). Seems like a good soap. We'll see how it works in the rotation.

Top Bottom