What's new

Which of these available-to-me American Whiskys should I try?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Here's what I can get in the local Boozorium:

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-catalogue?type=spirits&spirit=whisky&whisky=american whisky

I am an experienced drinker *hic* who likes bold flavours ... and delicate subtle flavours too. I'm NOT looking for the "here's the intro-bourbon to see if you like it, then we hit the wild stuff" recommendation. I'm just looking for the "really good" stuff, whether it's Tysonesque in its flavour-punching power, or subtle and refined or whatever.

But the list above in the BC Liquor Stores link lets you know what I have access to, and how much I have to pay (so you can steer me away from the grossly-overpriced, too.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Our local liquor stores just call it all "American whisky" in their catalogue ... I am fine with any product recommendation, be it bourbon, rye, Tennessee Walking Liquor, or whatever ...

(I know that the differences can be important ... I'll get to those later. :thumbup1:)

You really can't go wrong with the Buffalo Trace.

Its really a good list. Others you may want to look at are Old Grand Dad, some of the Jim Beam, Makers Mark 46, Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve.

heh, looks like I'm partial to Bourbon.

Some of those prices are crazy. If you want Tyson go with Bookers. If you want something with some bite but, incredibly complex go with EH Taylor Single Barrel. If you just want damn fine bourbon and a moderate price go with Four Roses Single Barrel. The Whistle Pig while pricey is a real nice Rye but, we get it for $60 and even at that there are others I would buy over it for a similar price point.

If it where me I would go EH Taylor SB for something special as it is a somewhat limited release and you may not get another run at it. If you want to try something regular stock that can become a daily pour I'd go with the 4RSB.

You really can't go wrong with any of them though. Let us know what you grab and your thoughts.

You really can't go wrong with the Buffalo Trace.

Its really a good list. Others you may want to look at are Old Grand Dad, some of the Jim Beam, Makers Mark 46, Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve.

heh, looks like I'm partial to Bourbon.

He mentioned something Tysonesque or with "really good Flavor". While what you recommended are fine bourbon I would put them in the daily pour / bourbon 101 grouping he mentioned that he wanted to stay away from. If I understand his question correctly he is asking for something a little more punchy and complex.

Last edited:
ah, yea I missed that. Well, keep Buffalo Trace on that list, then just buy the most expensive stuff on the list! ;-)

Just my opinion:

Maker's Mark - Very smooth, great on the rocks or neat.
Jack Daniel's No. 7 (black label) - A tad harsher taste than Marker's Mark, it's best served mixed (water, Coca-Cola...)

If in the future the local hootch house decides to offer W.L. Weller 12-year old bourbon add it to your shopping list.

I second the Four Roses Single Barrel.

If the Old Grand Dad is the Bottled in Bond, definitely get it. The 80ish proof is good, but the BiB is great.

That is a very well curated list of many of the prestige choices available. I don't see a lot of weird or unusual choices. Quite the contrast to BC Liquor in the 80's. I lived there for one year and remember buying some horrible Bulgarian Red Wine and some interesting Rum from India.

I would get the Rittenhouse (which is Bottled In Bond) and do a taste comparison to Alberta Premium (which is unavailable in the U.S.).

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas, keep 'em coming.

Some of those prices are crazy.

:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Booze prices in BC can be totally ludicrous. I'd blame the Provincial near-monopoly, but ... it's really just the tax rate, so the prices are the same (or higher) if you go to a private store too. There are lots of funky attitudes towards alcohol in BC, many dating back to almost 100 years ago, which are only slowly changing. That, and there's an attitude that "fancy booze" is for "rich people" who can afford high prices ... and cheap booze needs to be taxed enough so poor drunkards who live on the streets can't afford to be drunk often.

*sigh*

That is a very well curated list of many of the prestige choices available. I don't see a lot of weird or unusual choices. Quite the contrast to BC Liquor in the 80's. I lived there for one year and remember buying some horrible Bulgarian Red Wine and some interesting Rum from India.

I would get the Rittenhouse (which is Bottled In Bond) and do a taste comparison to Alberta Premium (which is unavailable in the U.S.).

We probably drank the same Bulgarian plonk. "Sophia", if memory serves.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Doc, like myself you are stuck with BCL prices unless you cross the border, which I'm lucky to do often enough to keep well stocked most of the time. Given that, I often keep Buffalo Trace on hand and regularly pay the BCL price for it. It's nothing special but I prefer it to Makers Mark.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Eagle Rare is made at the same distillery as Buffalo Trace, but I liked the Buffalo Trace better.
I like Buffalo Trace better than all of the bourbons I have tried.

However, my snobby bourbon friends prefer Bookers, which is a Jim Beam product.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas, keep 'em coming.

:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Booze prices in BC can be totally ludicrous. I'd blame the Provincial near-monopoly, but ... it's really just the tax rate, so the prices are the same (or higher) if you go to a private store too. There are lots of funky attitudes towards alcohol in BC, many dating back to almost 100 years ago, which are only slowly changing. That, and there's an attitude that "fancy booze" is for "rich people" who can afford high prices ... and cheap booze needs to be taxed enough so poor drunkards who live on the streets can't afford to be drunk often.

*sigh*

We probably drank the same Bulgarian plonk. "Sophia", if memory serves.

Yes, that's it! It was like 4 something a bottle, and it was swill.

I would recommend Four Roses Single Barrel, Buffalo Trace, Blanton's, Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel, Elmer T. Lee, Elijah Craig, Michter's .

Van Winkle "lot B"-listed here as the "12 year old Special reserve"...about $50USD over what I have gotten it here for in the states, but I would not pass this one up...I liked it better than the 20 and 23 year old VW's. If it is available now get it, it wont be there for long! The EH Taylor's are great (heavy and complex for sure, and quite smooth), and comparing the price points these may be your value, as compared to US pricing, its actually about the same where as everything else if marked up much more (eg the Rittenhouse Rye is over double that of the US, I pay $23.99 USD for Rittenhouse and is a great value whiskey at that, not BC pricing).

So, I vote to grab the "Lot B" while available, and get an EH taylor..

The advice on the Four Roses stands up too!

Top Bottom