What's new

4 1/2 months of test blades.

So I decided to venture out and order some blades. I found a site that you can order as many or as little amounts as you want and they have about any blade you've ever heard of.
Here are the quantities and type I ordered. I plan on using the ones that I have 2 of on a vintage Gillette tto and a vintage Gillette adjustable and the quantities of 4 on each razor as follows:
1948-1950 superspeed
1960 superspeed
1959 Fatboy
1965 Slim
My objective is to grade each blade and report back as I use them and to find my best shave both tto and adjustable.
2 Astra superior platinum
2 Astra superior stainless
4 Bic chrome platinum
2 Chroma diamant
2 Derby extra
2 Dorco
2 Feather new hi-stainless
2 Gillette platinum
2 Gillette silver blue
4 Gillette super platinum
2 Gillette 7 o'clock permasharp
2 Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge
2 Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless
5 Personna lab blue
2 Personna Israeli red platinum
2 Polsilver super iridium
2 Shark super chrome
2 Shark super stainless
2 Treet carbon steel
4 Vokshod Teflon coated
2 Wilkson sword German

51 blades and I shave about 3 times a week. So I figure roughly 4 1/2 months of shaves.

First review:
1960 Gillette superspeed flair tip
Personna lab blue

I picked up these blades since I had just finished the cleaning and sterilizing of the superspeed. I had 4-5 days of stubble so this contributed to the shave I feel. (I will test this combo again since I have 5 blades). The shave wasn't as aggressive as I would have liked. This is partly due to this being the first shave with a DE razor and coming from a straight razor. (In straight razor land, you can get as aggressive as you want with a slight turn of the wrist.) The first pass was a lot of rinsing my stubble out of the blade. I was reducing the hair, not trying to take it all off with one pass. My second pass I added more lather and went back at it. No pulling or tugging on either pass and no razor burn either.

As I have more blades to compare to, I will come back to this combination. Maybe my opinion will be different then, but for now, this was a good shave.

Great service; thanks. I am still going through samples myself, after 6 months. I find it is most accurate for me to say, "Yeah, these are great!" or "Not so hot." The ratio is three out of twelve: Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Feather; the rest. Every shave is different, so I never find it possible to rate blades, 1, 2, 3, etc.

Yeah I was going to try the number rate system, but man... Like you said, it's hard not to say I'd use these again, prefer them over the ones I've tried or you won't catch me using these again!
And just like any other reviews, it's all preference. My beard is thick and coarse toward my chin and I sport a groomed patch on my chin. My mustache area is pretty thick too. Now my sideburns, cheeks and jawline aren't too thick but still coarse. My neck is my most problem area because my hair there is also thick and coarse.
One of the reasons I decided to do this was because I've asked blade preference and got answers all over the board. Seemed the Gillette and Feathers were a reoccurring theme.

I've had a mustache since I was 17 just because I always found it impossible to shave there. My beard is medium and fairly consistent across my mug, but still every shave is different enough to make it impossible to do accurate blade ratings, for me. It's always fun to get back to one of the three I love and have that "Aaah, yes" moment.

Ok I was waiting for more stubble to grow in.
Tonight I am tackling it with a 1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable and a Personna blue lab.
The reason for the Personna is because I still have the recent memory of using my 1960 Gillette Super Speed. Also like I said, I am looking to do a comparison of each blade with an adjustable and a regular TTO razor. And I have been dying to use the Slim!

After the tear down and clean up of my late 40's Super Speed, I'll put that in the rotation. The Fatboy will have to wait until I get it done. I have some special plans for it that will take some time...

Stay tuned

I am barely hanging on to consciousness as I write this...

Let me start from the beginning. I loaded my '65 Slim with a Personna blue lab and sat it aside with a smile thinking this was going to be the shave all shaves are compared to. I placed my badger into a hot cup of water to loosen up as I washed my face. I then took the Slim and loosened the top doors to adjust the setting to a modest "4". I then shook the badger out just a bit and went to town loading with Tabac. I was eyeing the Slim the whole time like a teen does his prom date. I loaded the brush and moved to a large mug to make the lather nearly perfect. I added a bit more water and found the consistency that made my heart go pitter patter. I slapped some lather on my face and drew the blade across my face. My cheeks went smoothly as did my sideburns. It was heaven until I hit my jaw line and neck.

The second lather, cross the grain, SWMBO walked in. She asked if I was ok because I "looked like I got ***** slapped by Edward Scissorhands." At that moment, the thick syrupy hemoglobin running down my chest finally took my breath. As I woke up with a large man standing over me with a clean shave and a bag of blood being transfused into my arm, I said, "nice shave, what kind of razor do you use?" In his thick accent that almost sounded as if he was clearing a hair ball, he said "Macccchhhhhh three." I passed out again...

But in all seriousness, the Slim on 4 and Personna blue lab was not a good combination for me. Maybe next time it may work on a lighter setting, but I am not really looking forward to the next shave with those blades. The first pass was ok, the against the grain felt as if the blade was dull already and began tugging at hairs.

Since this blade has been used, anybody have suggestions for the next round of blades?

Thank you fellas!!
Astra SP's will be next. I figure my skin will be ready this weekend. Once done with both the 60 Super Speed and the 65 Slim, we'll move to the next blade. Hopefully the 40's Super Speed and the 59 Fatboy will be ready soon. Can't wait to throw them into the ring.

I appreciate your attention to detail, however, my simple mind would not be able to begin to catalog the subtle differences among the test blades. Good luck on your journey.

Astra SP
1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable (set on 3)

Tonights shave was pleasant. I took Eaaqas advised and began to knock the Astras off my list. I lathered up with Grim Blades smolder and a synthetic brush (after I hopped into a thread over in the brush section). The smolder has a unique scent and I haven't used it much so I decided, why not. I just did a basic face wash with Kiss My Face soap and left wet, made up some lather and off to town I went.

WTG on 3 day growth was smooth. Relathered my face and went XTG. This was smooth as well. I did a little touch up and then took a hot shower to relax. Hit my face with some "Agent Orange" aftershave. (It's actually some cheap but good stuff I got from Rubinovs I put into a nice bottle, but it's orange as Hi-C.)

I'd say this was a pleasant experience as my technique improves I'm sure I will come across the Astras again.

Astra SP
1960 Super Speed Flairtip
RazoRock Fresco

Due to the mildness of this razor and the smoothness of this blade, I not only whipped up a three pass with ease, I also took it to my head and shaved that with a 3 pass too. After a quick shower (to get all the hair off), I splashed my head and face with Tabac aftershave and called it a shave.

Tonight's shave:
1960 SuperSpeed Flair Tip
Astra SS
Tabac with a boar brush.
Did the usual soak my brush, washed my face, bowl lather, 2 pass with touch up and then showered.
This blade on the first pass wasn't so bad. But not as good as the Astra SP. Had a few weepers and a jaw line nick. Not a lot of pink lather though. After the shower used some Tabac aftershave and all was well.
We'll see how this blade does with the Slim this week. I am still trying to get the Fatboy finished. I'll post pics of it as it will be unlike anything seen before. Then we'll through that into the mix of razors for the testing.

Great service; thanks. I am still going through samples myself, after 6 months. I find it is most accurate for me to say, "Yeah, these are great!" or "Not so hot." The ratio is three out of twelve: Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, Feather; the rest. Every shave is different, so I never find it possible to rate blades, 1, 2, 3, etc.

Thats the order of my fav blades as well 1-3 respectively. I might throw in the crystals (personna blue) for the feather. That's a tough one.

I have been way delayed on this due to the holidays... And my shave has suffered.

So slapped an Astra SS on my Slim and went to town. No issues and can honestly say the Astra blades are on my top 10 list so far.

Also so the little lady picked me up a Maggards razor too. I'll put that into the rotation here soon too.

Today was a multitude of firsts... I received a Georgetown Pottery scuttle, Maggards MR18 razor, Edwin Jaggar sample pack and aftershave cream and lastly Semogue 610 brush.

So I put it all to work with a Bic Chrome Platinum razor.

Firstly I rinsed the brush under hot water and a good soak. Washed my face with Kiss my Face soap and filled the scuttle with some microwave hot water. (Did not place the scuttle in the microwave, I nuked the water in a separate container.)

I noticed the scent of the lime and pomegranate filled the bathroom with a nice scent. I went to work making a lather. The lather at first wasn't all that impressive. I added more water and noticed a better lather. Once this was set and spread on my face, I went to work with the MR18. First thing I noticed, the weight of th razor... This would normally be a good thing however, with the cool weather, years as a mechanic and breaking my hands a few times in the past, this became an issue in the last pass of the shave. Also the razor is very mild.

The he blade was very smooth. All 3 passes were great. I got a bit of rash on the base of my neck, but that was more my fault than the equipment. My dominant hand was done before the shave was.

Ill run the Bic on a few other razors for an apples to apples comparison and give that review when the time comes in a few days.

May all your shaves be smooth...

Today gents... Bic Chrome Platinum coupled with a 1965 Gillette Adjustable Slim with the use of Edwin Jagger Lime and pomegranate cream.

It it was a beautiful close, nick free shave. I even scraped the last hair of my noggin off with this combo.

Another great shave with this blade...

Treet makes more than one carbon steel blade, and Dorco makes more than one blade. I'm curious to know which ones you have.

I wasn't aware I'll take a look when I get home. Since I established I am fond of the Bics, I'm gonna save the last few and move on anyway.

Top Bottom