What's new

Streamline Time!

My good shaving friend Paul has lent me his Streamline so that I can see what all the fuss is about.

I hear the highly coveted Eclipse Red Ring DE isn't much of a shaver and wonder whether the same applies to this Holy Grail SE.

I always wanted a pair of Adidas Gazelles and when I finally got some after waiting 20 years, I discovered that they were great but not as good as some other trainers that I'd owned.
But I NEEDED to have those Gazelles so I could say I'd tried them and my idealisation of them could end.

Sometimes the only way to let go of something is to embrace it completely - so will I be disillusioned by the Streamline?
I cannot imagine it shaving better than my ten-a-penny British ER 1912 but let's find out...
proxy.php

I have to count myself among the fanboys. From its considerable heft (over 3 oz) to the machining and finish, it simply exudes quality. I find the shave to be agressive, but not overly so, while at the same time incredibly smooth. I suppose it's possible that my appreciation of the quality of the instrument may be influencing my perception of the shave.

I'll be most interested in your take on it.

$sotd11_02.JPG

--Bob

I have to agree with you, Bob. Since it is basically an up-scale 1912, it has to be one of my favorite razors--after injectors. Along with my 1912s, I like the Streamline best.

I've often likened it to cars ... and I'm going to make an English metaphor, but I think others will get it.

The 1912 is like a family car, a good family car - let's go with a Wolseley. The Streamline is more plush, more luxurious; the Rolls Royce.

Now, the Roller is quite impractical to pop down to the shops for a pint of milk and a pack of cigs, but it ain't half nice for a cruise to the Country Club.

Have you shaved with it yet, lad? Come on, man!

Well the anticipation's building Paul! R41 today, Streamline tomorrow...unless my NOS 5/8 Henckels turns up first!
Seriously, I love the mystique that this razor generates.
As somebody very wise once told me " When you get to the end of the rainbow, there's nothing there..."

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Marcus; You will enjoy the shaves. While there are other SE razors that give an equally close shave (Gem OCMM is one), there is something about the Streamline's weight, handling and finish that makes it a premier shaving experience.

Ok - game on!
proxy.php

First impression is that the Streamline handles very similar to the opulent and high end VB2 in the Valet spectrum.
It has a weight, momentum and inertia which require an assertive technique very different from the responsive touch I use with the other 1912s and Valets. With them (as with bakelite DEs) I rely on tactile feedback to guide the shave and this suits me very well since I come from a long line of instrument makers (one of my ancestors made the Longitude Clock) and was once told I have diamond dealer's hands.

This Streamline though must be commanded...like a submarine or a tank.

It really is a different order of SE shaving and I can see why people are so enraptured by it - it just feels so luxurious to use and Paul's analogy of a Wolsely (1912) vs a Rolls Royce (Streamline) is right on the money.
Do I prefer it to my agile and responsive British 1912 or my perfectly balanced ER 1924?
Definitely not today, let's see what happens tomorrow :)

Second shave with the Streamline today and it reminds me even more of the VB2: as a collectible artefact it's a beautiful thing but as a serviceable tool it doesn't suit me so well.

I had a similar kind of issue with the ER 1914. It has such a good rep and is enjoyed so much by so many but its geometry just doesn't work for me. I perservered with it but have never enjoyed the shave.

The Empire is a heavy razor that I love because it is beautifully balanced - like a hippo it looks so clunky but in its natural environment is extremely agile.
The Streamline to me seems to be about weight and inertia so it feels opulent in the hand and on the face but in terms of performance I'm really not feeling it...
...but anything could happen.

I'm going to ride out this Duridium blade and then the Streamline will be heading home to Shibden where it might get more appreciation :)
proxy.php

... as a sideline, how are you enjoying the Kent Infinity?
Loving the Silvertex Paul - very similar to the Muhle Black Fibre but with slightly more backbone.

Unlike the ethereal Plisson synth which has surely come from another planet, the Silveryex and the BF are like super-perfected boars.

Interesting. While I certainly agree that the VB2 and Streamline are both quite massive, for me that is about all they have in common. I find the VB2 to be considerably more aggressive and not nearly as smooth. The VB2 isn't nearly as graceful with its considerable mass.

Of course, I like my 1914's a lot, too.

And so far, I've had zero luck in trying to strop an NOS AutoStrop blade to a decent edge.

A classic example of YMMV, I guess. :001_smile

--Bob

Ha ha - you're making me want to get my VB2 out now :)
And the blued British NOS Valet blades are for me Feather+ sharp right out of the box. Stropping on a lapped, conditioned and pasted strop maintains the edge for me extremely well too.

I'm not the only one am I? I've got another 26 NOS Valet blades arriving tomorrow!

Well I've got to admit I enjoyed the opportunity to use the Streamline but not the shave.

There's so many razors that I really enjoy, and so many that I've yet to try and by the third shave with it the Streamline was just wasting my time so it's packed and getting ready to return to Halifax.

Now I just need someone to lend me a Schick F :)

Pfff ... that's the last time I lend you a razor :lol:

I really like it, but I also have to concede that it is not the gold at the end of the rainbow. To return to the car analogy, it is a Rolls Royce and it is very nice to have one in the garage, but day to day, there are more modest cars which get you from A to B comfortably and efficiently.

Top Bottom