What's new

Weller12 Bourbon

Cannot find any in my area (middle tennessee). Anybody have it available in their area?

My favorite but getting extremely difficult to find.

That is the price of the recent popularity of bourbon. More demand than supply. Stocks are low. A store manager I know told me that he is now on allocation for bourbons that were once easy to get, and in any amount he wanted. That is no longer the case.

Its those hipsters out there. With their single speed bikes, lomography cameras, ironic tee shirts, and selvedge denim drinking up all of our bourbon.

Can't get it here in MI but was always able to score some until the last 8 months. I'm lucky I've got a stash of 4 bottles.

I bought a spare bottle six months or so ago when I read that people were having a hard time finding it. I went to a Total Wine -- a big, big store -- and they had more than a dozen bottles on the shelf.

Just checked -- Out of stock there now.

I read the other day about the Bourbon Shortage. Guess it's for real ...

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Its those hipsters out there. With their single speed bikes, lomography cameras, ironic tee shirts, and selvedge denim drinking up all of our bourbon.

And every last one of them within walking distance of me.

I have been trying to get a hold of Weller 12 and Elmer T single barrel for a long time with no luck, I did find a Weller special reserve on the shelf a few months ago (last one). This Bourbon craze is getting out of hand and I'm starting to think that in the near future regular production stuff from Buffalo trace will be hard to find (buffalo trace, Sazerac rye, blantons, and eagle rare). I'm buying all this stuff when I run into it for my personal stockpile since I enjoy it and don't want to pay craigslist prices down the road. It seems that Single malts are also trending, I can see prices for Macallan have gone up quite a bit, I did manage to get a few bottles of 12 and 18 for reasonable prices a few years ago.

Last edited:
I have been trying to get a hold of Weller 12 and Elmer T single barrel for a long time with no luck, I did find a Weller special reserve on the shelf a few months ago (last one). This Bourbon craze is getting out of hand and I'm starting to think that in the near future regular production stuff from Buffalo trace will be hard to find (buffalo trace, Sazerac rye, blantons, and eagle rare). I'm buying all this stuff when I run into it for my personal stockpile since I enjoy it and don't want to pay craigslist prices down the road. It seems that Single malts are also trending, I can see prices for Macallan have gone up quite a bit, I did manage to get a few bottles of 12 and 18 for reasonable prices a few years ago.

Would seem to be an excellent example of a self-fulfilling prophecy if others follow your lead.

It is crazy 8-20 years ago my favorite bottle was Highland Park 18yo it jumped from then around $60 to around $130 today. The Balvenie 15 from $55 to $80. Lagavulin, Macallan have all undergone this crazy price jumps. I use this to justify my purchased and bunkering up of bottles. I bought a bunch of Laphroaig 15 before it disappeared as well.

Well, the thing is,it'll come full circle. Shortage leads to increased production, meantime prices jump and no one can find the stuff and new trends arise. There will be a whiskey glut in a few years, and bottles will languish on shelves with extra, extra aged whiskey in them. It has happened before, and I benefitted greatly, vacuuming up bottles of 1980s product as late as 2007-2008. Small consolation right now, but if you're around in 10-20 years, you'll be swimming in inexpensive aged whiskey.

Would seem to be an excellent example of a self-fulfilling prophecy if others follow your lead.

Part of the prophecy has already been fulfilled by the flippers on Craig's list and bottle spot reselling Stag Jr, Midwinters dram and others for at least 50% above retail. Just like what happened with ammo (availability and $$) I have and will continue to prepare accordingly. Buying 2 bottles or so a year of my favorites and not wishing later on I did is a no brainer (I'm going to drink the stuff anyway why settle for inferior an product when/if it's not on the shelf in the future). If I don't buy my own stuff the flippers will.

Last edited:
Part of the prophecy has already been fulfilled by the flippers on Craig's list and bottle spot reselling Stag Jr, Midwinters dram and others for at least 50% above retail. Just like what happened with ammo (availability and $$) I have and will continue to prepare accordingly. Buying 2 bottles or so a year of my favorites and not wishing later on I did is a no brainer (I'm going to drink the stuff anyway why settle for inferior an product when/if it's not on the shelf in the future). If I don't buy my own stuff the flippers will.

I guess it all depends on where you live. We have no such supply problems anywhere within an hour or two of here. I can stop and buy a bottle of Stagg Jr or Elmer T SB on my way home tonight if I want. Not seeing a widespread problem unless people start panicking and hoarding, just like when they screwed up the .22lr supply for the rest of us, but that's a topic for another forum, eh?

Didn't even see it on the VA ABC store list. Then I went to the store on Saturday to get Four Roses single barrel and it was out. No plain old Buffalo Trace either.

Didn't even see it on the VA ABC store list. Then I went to the store on Saturday to get Four Roses single barrel and it was out. No plain old Buffalo Trace either.

Did you go to the store near Catoctin Circle or the new store on Fort Evans (in the strip mall east of Home Depot)? The new store on Fort Evans has significantly more shelf space and inventory. I actually picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr. a few weeks ago there. Also Va. ABC has 10% off all alcohol on Black Friday if you spend $50 or more.

Larry

Last edited:
The general manager at my liquor store did manage to get me another bottle of Elmer T single barrel. Very good whiskey. I still have a half gallon of Weller 12, fortunately I was able to pick up two this spring, but will always take it when I can find it with it in such limited release.

I am in a raffle for some Pappy (at regular price), but do not want to get my hopes up too much. The raffle proceeds go to a charity, so I am ok with trying to find the Pappy that way. I refuse to get into a bidding war for Pappy.

I can not find any Weller 12 here in NY just north of NYC. Fortunately I have a bottle and a half left. Unfortunately the cat has been let out of the bag on this one. Weller 12 is a wheated bourbon by buffalo trace, who also produces Pappy Van Winkle. Weller 12 is the same recipe as PVW 15 yr old just 3 yrs younger and Julian Van Winkle hand picks his own barrels to mature PVW in. Therefore Weller 12 is a great alternative to those who can not get their hands on PVW 15 yr old and at a fraction of the price. Good luck in your searches. I hope you do score a bottle or two. It is a very nice bourbon.

Apparently Weller had a small release of the 12 year around the end of the year. Last week I was fortunate enough to pick up a couple of fifths. That should take care of me for a while.

Lot of good bourbon out there, but there is just something about Weller12.

Posted on another thread but thought I would mention here, Weller 12 is available in Florida only at ABC stores. These are not state owned but rather a large private company in Florida and I'm told that that have exclusive distribution of the Weller brand in the state. I saw 1.75L bottles for about $50 at a store on Merritt Island (Cocoa Beach area) 2 days ago for anybody in the area. I purchased Stagg Jr, and Taylor small batch and single barrel there yesterday before heading further south.

This past Friday I found some at a local liquor store in NY. I bought 3 bottles. I went back the next day to get more and it was gone.

Top Bottom