What's new

Everyday BBS or not?

I've certainly never striven for BBS and until recently I was actually wondering if it was a complete fallacy. When I made the switch to DE, I was determined to take in as much as humanly possible in an effort to do it right. I'm getting BBS every shave now, and I'm not really trying to get it but I have found a set-up and routine that is working for me. I'm loath to change anything at the minute that would cause a difference for me. My situation will change I'm sure so I'll have to find a routine that works around any change.
I would certainly be happy with DFS every time. BBS is an unexpected bonus.

I only shoot for BBS on special occasions. No one is more concerned with your face than you are. If you're content with a decent shave, so will everyone else.

I think the synopsis here is personal preference. Unless you're overly OCD or unless you can visibly see stubble post shave...who cares?

Do what's comfortable and have fun passing by the cart isle knowing you spent 20 dollars for 5 times the amount of blades.

This!

Mike

Okay, I just stropped up my Wade & Butcher 9/8 straight, whipped up some Van Der Hagen soap, and gave myself a DFS with one WTG pass and one ATG pass. No cuts, no weepers or nicks, and no irritation. I'm going to leave it alone and not worry about BBS and see whether this can get me to realize how nice a shave I really did just give myself.

Thus far, it looks like the majority of fellows feel that a DFS is just as acceptable - and certainly easier and more comfortable to achieve on a daily basis - as a BBS.

This makes complete sense. As a daily shaver, maybe understanding this can make my straight razor shaves a little more enjoyable, too, since I won't have to think of a DFS as an incomplete shave now.

I do think you got it now, in spite of/or because of all the other replies. Enjoying the shave. That's the ticket!

Mike

Ofcourse I want a BBS. Every time I shave I get a full BBS even on my neck, this is the main thing I love about DE shaving. Back in the days when I used cartridges I never got a BBS, I think I lacked technique etc. I shave every 4 days with no problems at all. With my current setup I get a BBS with two passes but I always do three passes (WTG, XTG and ATG).

The only reason I go for BBS every time is because of being Active Duty Military. My facial hair is dark, very thick, and grows very quickly so if it's not BBS it looks like I didn't even shave after about 5-6 hours. Where as when I do a 3 pass with a touch up and get a BBS it lasts closer to 8 hours. Keeps people from asking questions. However, on the weekends I go for DFS unless it's a special occasion. If it wasn't for the clean shaven requirements and my very noticeable facial hair I would be perfectly fine with a DFS most days. Why, because I get enjoyment every time I shave. :thumbup:

Usually pay the price if trying too hard.

This happens on my neck and jaw line if I do too many passes for BBS. I think my set up is good, I know my angle is good WTG, XTG, and ATG on cheeks. Other areas are just naturally more difficult. If I get weepers in one spot, I know that's the reason.

....it all grows back anyway;)

Whoa whoa whoa.... Hold up...

I need to clear one issue up:

BBS is for me. The person whose hands I want to be impressed by my perfectly smooth face is myself. I'm the person who could randomly stroke my face at any given point or place throughout the day. [emoji12]

i get BBS everyday. i dont stop till i get it. with the setup im using now, its a BBS shave every evening for me. i feel the same way, if im not getting BBS, then its not the shave im looking for. only times i got DFS was when i was using a shavette. now im back to my ol setup i can get my completely smooth shaves again. i think once you find that proper setup BBS can be had everyday with no hurt to the skin.
I totally agree. It takes blood, pain and a lot of time to get to know your face and skin, but once you get there it's like riding a bike. I get pain free long lasting BBS every day no matter which shaver I use, straight, R41 or Superspeed. The only difference between tools is how long the BBS lasts. Even so I must confess that I wish that BBS wasn't that important to me, but it is. I guess each and every one of us have some hangups and that BBS isn't the worst one you can get.

I usually just aim for a really great and comfortable shave, in usually 3 passes - and mostly end up with a DFS, very occasionally a BBS if i spend extra time doing touch ups. But i find a DFS to just feel better on my skin, and sometimes when i shave to a BBS level its feels great, but certainly wouldn't aim for it on a daily basis.

I can get it with my Aristocrat, without any irritation. But not with my other DE's or my straight. I don't know what's so special with the Aristocrat, but it's magically smooth.

I aim for it every time, however I use the same routine every day and it can really be blade + razor dependent. If after my 3 passes I find there is still some stubble, so be it... There is always tomorrow.

I try and do get DFS every time, I don't think I would know a BBS if it jumped up and slapped me. I do think I get close. DFS is fine with me.

Top Bottom