What's new

Everyday BBS or not?

Does anyone else, after finally achieving a nice BBS, find any shave *not* BBS to be inadequate? Do you strive for a BBS every day or settle for something less? I find that I am just not satisfied with my shave until I can't feel any stubble, and this includes WTG, ATG, XTG, and touch-up strokes. I usually cannot achieve this with my straights; only with my open combs - Gillette Old Type, 1936 Gillette Aristocrat De Luxe, 1938 Gillette Senator, Gem Micromatic Open Comb, etc. - can I get that finely-finished shave that lasts for a good full day. Just interested in other members' thoughts. Thanks!

I went through that phase. Now I'm quite comfortable doing a nice, easy 2 pass + touchup DFS. Maybe once a month I'll work to get the BBS just for the heck of it.

I've settled down into a very comfortable routine now, and I like almost all the shaves I get. I know my skin's limits to be two careful passes and then a tough=up, so that's what I do, every shave. 80-90% BBS, the rest DFS. I don't ever try for tat BBS. It happens, or not. Oh, I do adjust pass 2 and touch-up to try to get me there, but the shaves in general are so good I don't complain. Blades and soaps make a small but noticeable difference as well.

I think if I worked for BBS everytime, that would be really hard on the skin. I settle for a DFS, then do a little extra to hit the BBS for special occasions.

I've never really strived for it, but since I got a Slim Adjustable in the recent auction here, I'm getting almost effortless BBS shaves most days (apart from the Movember 'Tache ).

BBS is over-rated IMO. If you get it, great. If not, it's OK too. No stressin over it. My goal is a decent RELAXING and COMFORTABLE shave. I'm good to go.

Mike

BBS is over-rated IMO. If you get it, great. If not, it's OK too. No stressin over it. My goal is a decent RELAXING and COMFORTABLE shave. I'm good to go.

Mike

Couldn't have said it better! Just easy and relaxing always makes for a great shave.

I get BBS most shaves but I use short strokes and they often overlap so I might, in fact, be performing more than
three passes.
A Gillette adjustable and a very sharp blade makes things a lot easier.

I'm still just a newbe been DE shaving for just over two months, by the way I could never shave everyday before due to bumps and razor burn, now that I have learned DE and seemingly have my technique down I try for BBS everyday. I don't get one everyday of course, but I try.

I have been experimenting with two passes WTG,ATG, AND TOUCHUP, and so far I find it is all dependant on the blade sharpness for me.
PolSilver, Astra SP, and Feather blades seem to do very well for me. Derby, Shark, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Med Preps all do pretty good for a couple of days but then start pulling and nicking me on my upper lip, jawline, and lower neck. These areas of my beard have multi-directional hair growth and are heavy thick hairs which don't yeild very well to medium sharp blades without multiple passes. And doing multiple passes there leads to numerous nicks and weepers.

I also seem seem to be able to use non-aggressive razors and get smoother shaves on my face. An aggressive razor tends to grab and cut skin too easily. But that may still be due to lack of technique on my part. The Gillette Techs that I have are the ones that I tend to get the BBS shaves with when using the sharpest blades.

The Red Tip I have and use is OK for WTG passes but tends to bite when I try ATG passes. And I have discovered that my face likes the touch up passes to be without lather and with Shave oil, which I make myself. And although cleaning the razor after the shave oil involves an extra step, it still is worth it to me.

Anyway, if I use a more aggressive razor I have to do fewer passes or I end up with nicks and weepers. With less aggressive razors I can do more passes and not get nicks and weepers if the blade is sharp.
just my two cents.

+1 ... BBS should be viewed as a bonus to a good shave, not a necessity. I shoot for DFS every time I shave. Sometimes I overshoot my goal and get a BBS, and that's great. But if I don't get there, I'm not worried about it.

My general routine is WTGx2 with ATG touch-ups on some trouble spots.

I have gotten BBS in one pass, but it takes special circumstances. I need to have about 5 days worth of stubble, a fresh Feather in one of my Slant razors, excellent prep and careful technique. It can be done, but I can't make it happen every time. But in 6.5 years of wet-shaving, its happened often enough that it doesn't surprise me anymore.

But again, BBS is not such a big deal that you need to hit it every day. A good, comfortable, easy to obtain DFS is just as satisfying, and nobody but you will ever know the difference.

I'm usually BBS on the cheeks and jawline daily, can't do ATG passes on the neck without irritation so I do the best I can there. Usually 2 passes on the neck, even if I do more up top

DFS is fine by me since I shave every other day. I just enjoy the shaving routine since it reminds me of the past that was begone.

Does anyone else, after finally achieving a nice BBS, find any shave *not* BBS to be inadequate? Do you strive for a BBS every day or settle for something less? I find that I am just not satisfied with my shave until I can't feel any stubble, and this includes WTG, ATG, XTG, and touch-up strokes. I usually cannot achieve this with my straights; only with my open combs - Gillette Old Type, 1936 Gillette Aristocrat De Luxe, 1938 Gillette Senator, Gem Micromatic Open Comb, etc. - can I get that finely-finished shave that lasts for a good full day. Just interested in other members' thoughts. Thanks!
i get BBS everyday. i dont stop till i get it. with the setup im using now, its a BBS shave every evening for me. i feel the same way, if im not getting BBS, then its not the shave im looking for. only times i got DFS was when i was using a shavette. now im back to my ol setup i can get my completely smooth shaves again. i think once you find that proper setup BBS can be had everyday with no hurt to the skin.

DFS is fine by me since I shave every other day. I just enjoy the shaving routine since it reminds me of the past that was begone.

+1 for this - I am happy with a DFS every other day, I enjoy my shave, and usually do a WTG and XTG and I'm super happy. Last night I went for the BBS and although it was a crowning achievement, oddly enough I don't like the way it feels the next day, I prefer the DFS to BBS, with the added bonus that I get to shave more often with a DFS!

Top Bottom