What's new

An old man responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be 50 in March, and I find myself gravitating to, as one of the above posters mentioned, the smell of my dad, Clubman, Brut, Pierre Cardin, Bill Blass, Lagerfeld, Royal Products. I remember watching him shave, him taking us to the barber, the smells of hot foam, Barbacide, Talc, etc, etc. These are not just smells and odors, these are memories, these are tributes to a generation of men who were MEN. Now at 16 I would have probably never worn Brut, and certainly not Royal Bay Rum, because Drakkar Noir was the hit. Now I smell the Drakkar and want to puke, but wear Brut and all the fragrances mentioned above regularly, and was going through some old boxes of my deceased father and found his bottle of Bay Rum, still half full and with the Crown topper, I now love the scent. It A simpler time, where grooming was essential for men as well. high and tight, above the ears. It is those scents, that is having the Wet Shaving revival and all of us with empty wallets. Why else is a re-manufacture of Hai Karate going for $40.00 and hardly in stock, when you used to be able to buy it at a Ben Franklin for 4.99 LOL. So to me this is a way to Keep the spirit of these Men, including my father alive. Plus I love the scents now that my nasal palate recognizes classics, and of course YMMV:lol:

Does Old Man Scent bother me, NO I wear as a badge of honor Just my 2 cents

Wow!, I just realized I sound like my dad. I guess I am an "Old Man":thumbup:

Last edited:
I will be 50 in March, and I find myself gravitating to as one of the above posters mentioned the smell of my dad, Clubman, Brut, Pierre Cardin, Bill Blass, Lagerfeld, Royal Products. I remember watching him shave, him taking us to the barber, the smells of hot foam, Barbacide, Talc, etc, etc. These are not just smells and odors, these are memories, these are tributes to a generation of men who were MEN. Now at 16 I would have probably never worn Brut, and certainly not Royal Bay Rum, because Drakkar Noir was the hit. Now I smell it and want to Puke, but wear Brut and all the fragrances mentioned above regularly, and was going through some old boxes of my deceased father and found his bottle of Bay Rum, still half full and with the Crown topper, I now love the scent. It A simpler time, where grooming was essential for men as well. high and tight, above the ears. It is those scents, that is having the Wet Shaving revival and all of us with empty wallets. Why else is a re-manufacture of Hai Karate going for $40.00 and hardly in stock, when you used to be able to buy it at a Ben Franklin for 4.99 LOL. So to me this is a way to Keep the spirit of these Men, including my father alive. Plus I love the scents now that my nasal palate recognizes classics

Does Old Man Scent bother me, NO I wear as a badge of honor Just my 2 cents

Wow!, I just realized I sound like my dad. I guess I am an "Old Man":thumbup:

Boy you got the Drakkar Noir dead to rights, my first girlfriend insisted I had the entire collection, I still have a travel bag I got for buying all of it in 1983/1984.

Here on the Fragrance forum and on the Aftershave forum, there are a bunch of posts asking for scent recommendations that don't "smell like an old man."

As a nicely curmudgeonly old guy, 68 years old in fact, I find this offensive. I know what people mean, but still, think about it. I can't help being old. Imagine if you replaced "old man" with any ethnic group you can think of. Instantly erased by the moderators, I would guess.

My thoughts exactly.

I myself am under forty years of age and I am irritated to say the least by such things which have become all to common on this forum. B&B is a wonderful place, but unfortunately far too many members here wouldn't know a gentleman if one bit them on the nose. Here's hoping that such members will have the maturity and good will to profit from your post. I wouldn't hold out too much hope, though, as most of them will likely write you off as uptight or overly-sensitive, which would prove my point beyond measure.

White and grey hair deserve respect, and manners and consideration should rule the day, especially in the lives of those who truly aspire to be gentlemen.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly.

I myself am under forty years of age and I am irritated to say the least by such things which have become all to common on this forum. B&B is a wonderful place, but unfortunately far too many members here wouldn't know a gentleman if one bit them on the nose. Here's hoping that such members will have the maturity and good will to profit from your post. I wouldn't hold out too much hope, though, as most will likely write you off as uptight or overly-sensitive, which would prove my point beyond measure.

White and grey hair deserve respect, and manners and consideration should rule the day, especially in the lives of those who truly aspire to be gentlemen.
As one of the elder class here...I am of the opinion that B&B is leagues above any forum I've been on as regards gentlemanly behavior.

48-year-old here, American working in China.The beauty of being here is that the Chinese are unsullied by preconceptions relative to the scent. I wear my timeless classics with pride and, in many cases, it's the first time those around me have had the benefit of getting to know these fragrances. To my mind and nose, wearing these timeless aftershaves is edgy and au courant.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I understand the sentiment behind such questions, but maybe the choice of words makes the wrong impression - the written word has such issues when there's no tone, body language, smile or frown, and so on. I've run afoul of those issues before as I suspect we all have. B&B is a gentlemanly place as can be on the internet, a wonderful bunch.

Prudent choices for just about anything gentlemen use, fragrances, clothes, shoes, accessories have one thing in common, it's always in fashion and stylish to smell, appear, and act wealthy, whether you are or not. John Malloy made this point in the book "Dress for Success" years ago. Use good quality aftershaves, colognes, soaps from the people who make the best and you'll never be dated. If you cant do that, go for the best replicas you can afford. And that's not to say every good quality product (especially where fragrances are concerned) will suit everyone's tastes. That's why there are a lot of choices.

Cheers, Steve

I have been an old man since my early teens... I am finally growing into it:tongue_sm

I would ask that everyone extend the benefit of the doubt when you read something that could be read one way or another. Its the nice and respectful thing to do. Its the way we expect our members to interact. Thanks.

Personally, I'm not offended by the term "old man". But I'd much rather smell "old man" than smell like axe body spray.

My career requires a lot of diversity and EEO training. I have learned that the elderly are just as protected against discrimination as racial or religious classes. Get a thicker skin isn't an appropriate response in a public forum. Instead, the offender should be counseled to refer to scents as modern or vintage.

On a lighter note, who wants to join my class action on discrimination against baldness? Hair deficiency is about the last physical or mental problem that can still be made fun of with impunity. This could be my retirement plan.

I amend my previous recommendation and defer to... modern or vintage! I am wholehearted, unashamedly and unabashedly "vintage"!

I don't find "old man" offensive, because it's not meant to be offensive, just like "girlie", or when my dad tells me I smell like a french whore, when I see him on the occasions when he knows I just shaved and applied AS. :biggrin1:

Did you ask your dad how he knows what a "french whore" would smell like? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom