What's new

Decided to get into SE shaving

I have been DE shaving for quite a while and wanted to try SE shaving. I think my OCD kicked in...

first I got this. It's a great condition 1912 Ever Ready Set, not used much and cleaned up really easy.

$image.jpg

Then I got this...a Wilkinson Sword 7 Day Set in absolutely perfect unused condition. The blades still have the packing grease on them.

$image.jpg

And finally I just scored this on the Bay...an unused NOS Valet Auto Strop Set still in the original packaging.

$image.jpg

I re-used the original pics from the bay as a shutter bug I am not. I haven't tried any of them yet because Santa is a Grinch. Any recommendations for future acquisitions or do I have a big enough problem already. :blink:

Just a suggestion from a SchickHead...

Consider a subset of the SE genre...an injector razor. Not made any more by Schick (the original), but plenty of vintage razors available. Very smooth shaving!

What a great start! The 1912 set it lovely! That should be your first ... you'll make all comparisons to other SEs around the 1912.

Injectors? Pffff ...

Other SEs I really enjoy are the Ever Ready 1914 & 1924. I'm not big on Micromatics, but do like the GEM, Star & Ever Ready Featherweight/Natural Angle razors - very easy to use, just press the cap to your face and draw down. Often dismissed as mild, they're not - they are quite capable and give a lighter, different shave to the older 1912, 1914 & 1924.

Just for the sake of curiosity, find a decent Damaskeene. These older razors have curved caps and are considered a different shave. I don't find it myself, but others do. I do like my little collection of Damaskeenes.

On the Valet side, the later ones like you have really limit you to the Feather blade since it's the only one that will fit. The earlier VC1 Model C Set is a lovely catch and you can also use de-spined GEM blades in it.

Other than that, there is a world of interesting 1912s out there ...

Oh, Treet - a kind of 1912/Clog Pruf combination. Late, more of a razor from a committee than specifically designed, but by 'eck! They work and work well.

Have a lot of fun with your gear when you're allowed. Lovely stuff there.

... and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I'd love to see some more pictures of the Ever Ready set.

Those are great sets. Congrats on the scores. I always wonder on NOS stuff like this where all it has been for 90-100 years and why, in all that time, it was never used by anyone.

Great suggestions all. I think I will be very busy as there are so many I now want to try. For those of you interested, I decided one less present under the tree is fine for me. I will be using the 1912 first thing tomorrow. Here are a few pictures for the curious... I do not believe the stroper was part of the original kit as it is the only piece stamped "made in the USA" but it was in the kit along with the Brittish made razor set. A little bonus for me I suppose.

$image.jpg $image.jpg $image.jpg $image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 115
I agree - being a US made stropper in an otherwise British set, it doesn't make sense. Although ... not much point having a strop without a stropper. Lovely set - thank you for the extra pictures.

Beautiful sets - especially that Empire 7day set! The Empire gives amazing shaves with its original stroppable blades and it's like a hippo, it looks so ungainly but is amazingly agile.
I'm a great fan of using the OEM blades for Valets cos they kick Feathers to the kerb so see if you can pick up some sealed Valet blades (and then stropping is effective).

And the British 1912 is one of the greats too. Every time I shave with one, people spontaneously comment on how smart I look.

You have an instant quintessential SE collection there so congratulations!

Next stop: be shocked and amazed by injectors...

But do like the GEM, Star & Ever Ready Featherweight/Natural Angle razors - very easy to use, just press the cap to your face and draw down. Often dismissed as mild, they're not - they are quite capable and give a lighter, different shave to the older 1912, 1914 & 1924.

I am glad to hear someone else say this, as I really love the shave of the Feather Weight and think they are often overlooked and under-appreciated.

Scottch, that British 1912 looks fantastic!!! Congrats!!! You don't see many in that kind of shape. WOW!

I like the 1912 so much I purchased another. This one is just the razor unfortunately but has been restored to like new condition. Still waiting for it to be delivered. I was also fortunate enough to get a very good deal on 3 NOS packages of Valet Blades and 5 packages of NOS Treet blades to feed my new habit until I can find more OEM's. Really looking forward to trying out the Wilkinson as well.

Those razors are all just stunning...really. May I be so rude as to ask _about_ what they cost? (Don't know if this is quite protocol around here, but I am amazed by their condition, etc.) _I_ don't see things like that on Ebay, at least not that I can afford!

As for SE razors, I'm quite new at this too, though enjoying my (less gorgeous looking) 1912 Ever Ready a lot, and about to embark on some maiden shaves with my Valets.

Top Bottom