What's new

Leek & Potato Soup

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Made this soup for the first time. Very simple and tasty.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

Ingredients
2 leaks washed and sliced fine
4 russet potatoes diced in small squares.
1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
S&P
Pinch of thyme
3 cloves of garlic
2 cans of veggie or chicken stock
water as needed
1/2 cup half & half or milk.

Process
Heat oil in large pot. Throw in the leaks, thyme and garlic. Cook down for about 10 minutes. Throw in potatoes and stock. Add water or more stock as needed. Cook until the potatoes are soft. Turn off heat. Purée with an immersion blender until smooth. Pour in milk and stir until blended. Garnish with parsley. Add a little Parmesan cheese.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Leaks look like a huge green onion(scallion). The taste is very mild unlike an onion but similar in taste.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Love leak and potato. Unlike green onions you really have to wash these as they can have a fair bit of soil down in the base. Great in stir fry too.

Leeks! Wonderful member of the allium family. You're right, they can be very sandy, so a good wash is necessary.

If you chill and stir in cold heavy cream, you have vichyssoise; don't forget the snipped chives on top.

I do know fantastic baked leeks w/ mustard cream sauce recipe. Any interest?

Looks delicious Aaron maybe someone has said but if you cut them up and then put them in a large vessel full of water it helps with dirt removal.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks delicious Aaron maybe someone has said but if you cut them up and then put them in a large vessel full of water it helps with dirt removal.

Thats exactly what I did.

Leeks! Wonderful member of the allium family. You're right, they can be very sandy, so a good wash is necessary.

If you chill and stir in cold heavy cream, you have vichyssoise; don't forget the snipped chives on top.

I do know fantastic baked leeks w/ mustard cream sauce recipe. Any interest?

Sure, what's ya got?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I think I spelled leak...leek wrong. Dang it!!!

Edit: Thanks for fixing the title spelling.

Last edited:
Thanks that looks great. I think my wife may like this better as the leeks are milder than onions. This will be tried soon.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks that looks great. I think my wife may like this better as the leeks are milder than onions. This will be tried soon.

Thanks. Yeah, the wife thought the leeks were very subtle. I had some for lunch today. I added steamed broccoli and cauliflower with some recently gifted hot sauce....outstanding.

I'm loving the leek threads going on right now. Leek soup is one of my favourites. I make it with fresh potatoes as shown here, or if in a rush sometimes I'll thicken up a leek and mushroom soup with some instant potatoes. It doesn't sound like it would be good, but it's actually quite delicious. I have Pepin to thank for that one.

Top Bottom