What's new

First shave with self honed straight

Hello Gents,

I want to share some good news and words of encouragement and appreciation to the good folks at the B&B. Last night I accomplished what I would consider a first successful honing of one of my straights. Using the write ups and tips from experiences shared on this web site, I used AlumOx lapping film and a chunk of discarded marble that all together costs me less than $12.

With this, I was able to achieve HHT4, and had a closer shave than any DE I've ever used in my 8 months of wet shaving. WTG/ATG, effortless with no blood or burn. Nirvana.

So, thanks to all who contribute to the site. Everything from what to look for when buying in the wild, to strop and honing advice. Everything a beginner needs is here and east to find.

Let the SRAD begin!

Congrats on your honing and shave success. B&B really is a great forum and you can learn about any and all aspects of this hobby.

Congratulations! I remember that feeling (it wasn't that long ago) and sense of accomplishment. Way to go!

It is very. Talk about peaks and valleys though. I've tried the same procedure on two more razors and have not gotten the same results. Not even close...

It is very. Talk about peaks and valleys though. I've tried the same procedure on two more razors and have not gotten the same results. Not even close...
I have found the same thing to be true. My first blade to hone was and still is a great edge. Of the 3 I've honed subsequently only one is an acceptable shaver and that's after 3 sessions on the films. I've got a lot to learn.

Top Bottom