What's new

Gillette TEch or Muhle R89?

Considering a Gillette Tech or Muhle R89. Both are similar on the Shavewiki aggressiveness scale.

Which would you choose and why?

you may have a preference in how the tech shaves you. some of them have the triangle slots and some have the oval slots. i find the triangle slotted ones, or the pre war ones to shave more aggressive. techs are just classic in every sense. really built good and great shavers. hope you get one, and as always enjoy your shaves!

I have used both an R89 and a 1961 Tech extensively and I prefer the way the Tech shaves. For me, the thinner head makes it more maneuverable and better able to reach tight places like under my nose. They are both mild shavers, but the Tech seems a tad more efficient to me.

Also, as others have stated, the Tech will be more durable. I dropped my R89 and the top cap threads snapped off. The replacement was not cheap. I suspect the Tech would have survived the fall.

I have the EJ DE89,, same head as the muhle. I have 4 techs.. each one a different flavor.. None of them are as satisfying as the EJ.. just not enough razor for me. My daily go-to is any one of several New's, the EJ and others are for a change .The techs will be for sale shortly, that's just how i feel about them - just ..not an effective shave for me.

I have and use both. I find the 89 to be more efficient but I've gotten some of my best shaves from my pre-war Tech. Price: Tech wins. Performance : they're both good. Just different in what angles they like.

I have and use both - Muhle R89 and 1940's Fat Handled tech and R89 is the winner. Very smooth and efficient shave, but not better than my Slant or New LC

I have and use both - Muhle R89 and 1940's Fat Handled tech and R89 is the winner. Very smooth and efficient shave, but not better than my Slant or New LC
Great to know! I have a New LC coming and I'm told it's a smooth razor. My OC experience is quite limited. (Sorry for the momentary hijack.)

I like my triangle slotted Techs alot. I shim them up and get satisfying shaves. They are used more than my 40s SS, Slim, and NEW short comb. I like the idea of all brass over the pot metal in terms of longevity when comparing to modern economy razors like Merkur and EJ.

I'd choose a Tech for comfortable and close shaves. Use my Techs for each a.m. shave. An R89 is okay; but a Tech is exceptional.

Neither. Get an Edwin Jagger 89. It's the same as muhle r89 but cheaper.

Between the tech and the 89, my choice would be the 89. It is heavier and makes a much better starter razor than the tech.

Top Bottom