What's new

Disappointing TV shows this season

langod says:

"I was ok with the too obvious Chevy vs Ford product placement ( the bad guys always drive Fords, Good guys Chevys) and the outrageous plots."

But good guys do drive Chevies and bad guys do drive Fords.

This is more so last season, but I stopped watching The Walking Dead. It just no longer did it for me, and that is amazing, because I really enjoy other AMC shows, such as Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

This is the first season of American Horror Story I have watched, and have enjoyed it thus far. I suppose I don't have the other seasons to compare it to.

The new show I am most disappointed with is The Transporter, I loved the movies but can't seem to get interested in the series. Hopefully it picks up.
You will really love season 1 then! It was sooo trippy, like 6th sense!

Still enjoying Big Bang - though now find Leonard, Raj and Amy getting more irritating. I don't like Penny's new haircut either.

Still undecided on The 100 - watched the entire first season and found myself feeling more aligned to the Grounders than to those irritating little brats from the Ark. :laugh: (and too many contradictions)

Still enjoying Big Bang - though now find Leonard, Raj and Amy getting more irritating. I don't like Penny's new haircut either.
Amy was always annoying. I find it hard to say this, but Sheldon can do better.

Raj's character has developed quite a bit in the last couple years. The shy, awkward geek who can't talk to women unless he's drunk that he started out with could only last so long, though. Even so, his recent success with women seems a bit over the top. His recent roles as a Ladies' Man are a little hard to believe. It would have been good if they had given him just one steady girlfriend and let it go with that.

At the finale of the last season, Leonard asked Penny to marry him. Or maybe it was Penny who asked Leonard? I forget. Anyway, I think that is a sign that the show is coming to an end. I'll give it one or two more seasons to run. I predict that the grand finale is where Bernadette announces that she's pregnant, and then the show will be over, once and for all.

I don't watch much TV, but I tried to stay interested in an episode of The Flash and found it to be completely underwhelming. I know that it is a bit of a serial however, the acting seemed forced at times and the effects were not at the level that I was expecting.

I'm a long time fan of NCIS, and I've been very disappointed with the series since Cote de Pablo left the show. The female character they introduced to replace her is a complete train wreck. She seems to be a rehash of the old, inept McGee, combined with Abby's quirks, without the personality or competence of either.

langod says:

"I was ok with the too obvious Chevy vs Ford product placement ( the bad guys always drive Fords, Good guys Chevys) and the outrageous plots."

But good guys do drive Chevies and bad guys do drive Fords.

My two Mustangs disagree... ;) (Although one is all black and has ridiculous horsepower, so maybe it is evil...)

Funny though -- in the pilot episode, McGarrett & Dano drive a new Mustang. Then between the pilot and the series, Chevy got the contract.
It's kind of a running joke now in my family -- my daughter (who, like me, is a Mustang fan) spies a Ford and says, "Must be a bad guy."

One of the other Main characters started driving a classic Mustang this season. I'm wondering how they got away with that....

My two Mustangs disagree... ;) (Although one is all black and has ridiculous horsepower, so maybe it is evil...)

Funny though -- in the pilot episode, McGarrett & Dano drive a new Mustang. Then between the pilot and the series, Chevy got the contract.
It's kind of a running joke now in my family -- my daughter (who, like me, is a Mustang fan) spies a Ford and says, "Must be a bad guy."

One of the other Main characters started driving a classic Mustang this season. I'm wondering how they got away with that....

Back in the old TV days, some good guys did drive Fords. I'm thinking of Andy and Barney driving Ford Galaxie patrol cars, in the Andy Griffith Show. Ford supplied the cars in that show and I recall one episode where there was a traffic jam in Mayberry.

There must of been every model of new 1963 Ford, Mercury and Lincoln in that traffic tie up.

:001_smile

I mostly watch cable, specifically the history and science type channels. I couldn't tell you the last network show I watched with any kind of regularity. I watch Dr Who religiously now, and I'm not disappointed with it. The Legend of Mick Dodge on Nat Geo is severely disappointing, I still watch it for the rainforest scenery though, I love the Pacific Northwest wilderness.

Jason, pretty much my general take on things. I think the most disgusting part of series telly, particularly sitcoms is the non-stop diet of pc crap. They also are just not very good. Really a bunch of cookie cutter type characters. The last one the wife and I happened upon is this asinine sitcom Two Broke Girls. We watched about five minutes of it and I am not exaggerating when I tell you they ran the laugh track on nearly every single line of dialogue. And none of it was really funny. I gave up on most series telly a long time ago. Particularly said sitcoms and cops shows. They are all filled with ripped-from-the-headlines hype and usually have a bit of a political edge to them. I just cannot stomach it. Fantasy fare like Grimm, Once Upon A Time, Sleepy Hollow(itself pretty political) is it for me now. Documentaries and learning shows as well.

Once Upon A Time has jumped the shark this season. What was an entertaining, clever, light drama, is now a Disney Frozen product placement bonanza. The cast includes some really talented actors, but this season -- since the introduction of Else and her sister -- has really suffered. With those two character so obviously shoe-horned into the existing plot, it's affected the rest of the cast so that they seem to be merely showing up. When the two best actors on the show - Lana Parilla and Robert Carlyle - can't even "act" the lines, it's pretty bad. I stopped watching a few episodes ago. maybe it's recovered, but i doubt it.

It has gotten better but I agree with you they need more of Mr. Carlyle. Robert Carlyle is easily the heart of the show. I know everyone thinks of the eye candy girls like Red and Emma are the main draw and for some they are but Rumpelstiltskin has never been played with more aplomb than Robert Carlyle brings to it. In its defense it is not trying to be overly or overtly serious most times. I really like Grumpy the Dwarf and the guy who plays Hook. The chap who plays Robin Hood is pretty good too. We'll see how it turns out later in the season.

As I told Jason I just cannot go most other types of shows. Hence I stay with stuff like Grimm and Sleepy Hollow. The whole premise is fantasy so you don't wind up sitting there saying; 'Really?' at some ridiculously clever(sarcasm on) plot twist that lets a guy walk away from multiple homicides on the flimsiest of happenstance. Can we say Sons of Anarchy? And I really like the whole cast and show. Great storyline with about as much realism(I use that term loosely gents) as a continuing story would allow. Still, how can that many bodies pile up and the only one who is supposedly going to be spending a lot of time in prison is the lady doctor? Other than that I just about cannot abide cop shows. I haven't watched one since Quincy ME was on the air years ago. And I quit Hawaii Five-O, the original I might add, when Jack Lord's dialogue just wouldn't get away from political hot topics. Same for Quincy. I have not watched an episode of the new Five-O. I am just worn out from the genre. I am really glad the move to streaming is full on. With Netflix and other channels producing their own programming you can better tailor your viewing to your needs. Man, it kind of sucks to be a grumpy old man.

Back in the old TV days, some good guys did drive Fords. I'm thinking of Andy and Barney driving Ford Galaxie patrol cars, in the Andy Griffith Show. Ford supplied the cars in that show and I recall one episode where there was a traffic jam in Mayberry.

There must of been every model of new 1963 Ford, Mercury and Lincoln in that traffic tie up.

:001_smile

On the old Hawaii 50 (the good one) everyone drove Fords except McGarrett, who drove a luxury Mercury Marquis.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've been a little underwhelmed with the new season of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

If they handcuffed Anthony Bourdain to Gordon Ramsay, gave them meat cleavers, and locked them in a room, that's the only way they could get me to watch them.

If they handcuffed Anthony Bourdain to Gordon Ramsay, gave them meat cleavers, and locked them in a room, that's the only way they could get me to watch them.
Make it a 3-way fight, and include Emeril. I like to see Bourdain & Ramsay bring a whole new meaning to the word "BAM!"

Last edited:
JThe last one the wife and I happened upon is this asinine sitcom Two Broke Girls. We watched about five minutes of it and I am not exaggerating when I tell you they ran the laugh track on nearly every single line of dialogue. And none of it was really funny.

This one in particular is horrible. Two size-zero models with immaculate makeup and hair, who supposedly wait tables at a greasy spoon restaurant all day long. Yeah right. I watched about five minutes and gave up.

I keep saying we are in a golden age of TV, but there is still some horrible TV out there it seems.

I have been watching "Jane the Virgin," which seems to get fantastic reviews. I get the parody, and the creativity of the show, so big props for that. And Gina Rodriguez is about as cute as can be, but "disappointing" is probably not a strong enough word for my feelings about the show. Is there a word that describes something that "gives one the hives"?

Apparently a minority opinion though. YMMV.

Rob, you are right about that, with a proviso or two. Though it is all technically television I divide it into two sections. Basic or premium cable channels with their own productions and the old alphabet networks with their...productions. The latter borders on sewage many times and some good stuff at others. Cops shows, sitcoms, and reality shows(biggest oxymoron going right now) on these old networks are mostly tripe to me. The incessant sociopolitical undertones and sometimes outright pc preaching keeps me away. And I won't even start about the way men are portrayed these last twenty-five years. And more than that their entire productions always seem to be simple recycling of the same shows with different faces. The cable channels with their edgier productions are hitting a better stride. Okay, enough grumpy old man for now. Good post old boy.

Amy was always annoying. I find it hard to say this, but Sheldon can do better.

Raj's character has developed quite a bit in the last couple years. The shy, awkward geek who can't talk to women unless he's drunk that he started out with could only last so long, though. Even so, his recent success with women seems a bit over the top. His recent roles as a Ladies' Man are a little hard to believe. It would have been good if they had given him just one steady girlfriend and let it go with that.

At the finale of the last season, Leonard asked Penny to marry him. Or maybe it was Penny who asked Leonard? I forget. Anyway, I think that is a sign that the show is coming to an end. I'll give it one or two more seasons to run. I predict that the grand finale is where Bernadette announces that she's pregnant, and then the show will be over, once and for all.

I think the show would be better without the Sheldon character. The show is centered around Sheldon and the other characters merely react to him. There's a lot of comic talent in the other characters and actors that's not being realized.

I think this show is going downward, unless changes are made.

I think the show would be better without the Sheldon character. The show is centered around Sheldon and the other characters merely react to him. There's a lot of comic talent in the other characters and actors that's not being realized.

I think this show is going downward, unless changes are made.
I think a neat plot twist would be if Sheldon would win either the Nobel Prize or a Macarthur Genius Grant, and the large cash prize that goes along with it. Of course, his ego will become even more inflated than it already is, and Amy will dump him when she finally gets fed up with his quirks and foibles.

Sheldon won't be single for long, though, because as soon as word gets out that he is sitting on a mountain of money, along comes a stunning bombshell of a gold-digger, who plays along with all of his childish ways, laughs at all his nerdy jokes, and uses him like a $ugar Daddy. He is so smitten with his new "friend who's a girl, but not a girlfriend" he begins to neglect his work at the University, and they fire him.

Sheldon ends up broke, loses his apartment, and has to rely on the kindness of his friends to take him in. He spends one and only episode living first with Raj, then the Walowitzes, then Leonard and Penny, and when it becomes apparent that nobody wants him to stay with them, he winds up living on the street and holding up a sign that says "WILL SOLVE YOUR THEORETICAL PHYSICS HOMEWORK FOR FOOD."

Top Bottom