What's new

Salicylic Acid after shaving

Here's a little something I've been trying out over the last couple weeks that really seems to be helping. After a recent breakout I decided to apply a salicylic acid gel to my skin immediately after shaving. I ONLY do this after I shave. The product I'm currently using is Malin+Goetz Daytime Spot Treatment. It's pricey, and while I like it, I wouldn't recommend spending the money ($25) when companies like Clean & Clear make a very similar and much cheaper alternative. For spots that pop up randomly I use Tea Tree Oil. My breakouts and shaving seem to often be linked to one another. Maybe this will help somebody else, too.

I've thought about this from another point of view. Soap is alkaline and unbalances your skin's pH level. Put another way, it removes the body's acid mantle. (Whch sound a bit like like you took off your coat and might catch cold.) I'd really rather have a pH balanced thing to rinse with after shaving, but I wonder if a very mild acid solution might do the trick. I once saw something meant for just this purpose (to restore the pH balance to your face after a thorough, harsh cleansing) but could never find it again.

I've thought about this from another point of view. Soap is alkaline and unbalances your skin's pH level. Put another way, it removes the body's acid mantle. (Whch sound a bit like like you took off your coat.) I'd really rather have a pH balanced thing to rinse with after shaving, but I wonder if a very mild acid solution might do the trick. I once saw something meant for just this purpose (to restore the pH balance to your face after a thorough, harsh cleansing) but could never find it again.

I'm using CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser which (I believe?) is supposed to maintain the skins PH.

A very good product that only a few people seem to be wise to as an aftershave is CO Bigelow's Dr. Galen Herbal Tonic, which contains salicylic acid.

I regularly use Kiehl's Razor Bump relief which has salicylic acid as an ingredient. I don't find it to be too drying, but I have very oily skin even at the ripe old age of 48. I do find it helps to prevent and treat ingrown hairs and the bottle lasts a long time.

After shaving I use any of the generic (cvs, walgreens) salicylic acid to wash my face. (I actually stay away from some of the fancier versions because they have some ingredient that I do find drying/stingy). I leave it on for a couple minutes while cleaning up the sink and then wash off. salicylic acid is great for clearing the pores of any product used during shaving that may cause acne. No issues with dryness, although my skin is oily. Despite the "acid" in the name, salicylic acid is very mild and does not sting even when I have close shaves with a straight. I then use an after shave splash or balm to finish.

I've struggled with acne in the past and I've found that using witch hazel post shave seems to help. A few people have said that using alum also helps with acne. Since using both of these I barely get any breakouts anymore. It's hard to tell exactly what has done it for me because I do several other things, but I think the witch hazel has been a big help.

Top Bottom