What's new

To those who use Thayers after shaving.

Is it normal to feel a burning sensation after using? I squirted some on a cotton pad and used it to wipe my face.

To be more specific, mine is the lemongrass version that is supposed to clear blemishes and contains 2% salicylic acid, witch hazel, aloe vera and tea tree.

Would the normal scented version also burn?

proxy.php

having used salicylic acid when I was a teenybopper for acne, yes, that can burn. Witch Hazel, tea tree, and aloe itself should not. I don't kinow about lemongrass

I have not used that formulation, but the additive is likely the culprit.

I use the straight stuff and add essential oils:

1 bottle of Witch Hazel

1 bottle Tea Tree Oil – add 5 or 6 drops into WITCH HAZEL

1 bottle of Lavender Oil – add 10 drops into WITCH HAZEL

1 bottle of Peppermint Oil – add 10 drops into WITCH HAZEL

Give it a good shake and each time you use to mix the ingredients. Wonderful stuff.

A summer formulation - substitute Osage Rub for 1/4th of the full bottle. It has alcohol, so it might sting, but the menthol and eucalyptus give a nice cooling effect.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Before they discontinued the Thayer’s Medicated Superhazel, I stocked up on several bottles. I like to mix it 50/50 with another brand called Life-Flo 2% Salylic Acid Spray by just pouring them together from their bottles and shaking until mixed.

It’s great as an aftershave alone or it can be used after a rough shave and before an AS splash. It is also great for minor cuts, abrasions, insect bites, pimples, etc.

While it might burn for a millisecond after a rough shave, the menthol and Eucalyptus from the medicated hazel, soothes everything down pretty quickly.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I used Rose in the past and never experienced any burn. I stopped using it as I wasn't getting any noticeable benefit, just an extra thing I didn’t really need. My skin isn’t overly sensitive and my single pass SR shaves are very comfortable. I found it a bit drying and preferred to let the soap do it’s thing.

the burn (or perhaps tingling?) is probably the salicylic; means it's working to clear your skin.
try to rinse your face with cool water before the thayers, which could take off a bit of the sting.

So I just had my 3rd use of this. Btw, I clean my entire face and neck using a cotton pad with this. Because toner, that's why. ;)

The sting and redness happens around the lower nose and mouth areas. It will go away after a few minutes.

Should I be concerned? Would switching to the unscented version help???

Now, I don't know the efficacy in cleaning and tightening pores like what they claim. But holy hell, it makes my entire face feel super clean as hell. It's as good as this makeup remover I've been using these few months. Don't judge me but I use a makeup remover to clean my face. You all should try. It really makes your face clean.

So I just had my 3rd use of this. Btw, I clean my entire face and neck using a cotton pad with this. Because toner, that's why. ;)

The sting and redness happens around the lower nose and mouth areas. It will go away after a few minutes.

Should I be concerned? Would switching to the unscented version help???

Now, I don't know the efficacy in cleaning and tightening pores like what they claim. But holy hell, it makes my entire face feel super clean as hell. It's as good as this makeup remover I've been using these few months. Don't judge me but I use a makeup remover to clean my face. You all should try. It really makes your face clean.

Try just the plain witch hazel and see if the issue goes away. You probably don't need to use the salicylic acid version every time. You can also try diluting the salicylic acid version 50/50 with the plain witch hazel.

Try just the plain witch hazel and see if the issue goes away. You probably don't need to use the salicylic acid version every time. You can also try diluting the salicylic acid version 50/50 with the plain witch hazel.
I bought this because my face is problematic to say the least.

I need something to clean my whiteheads out.

I started using the Unscented Thayers with Aloe a few months ago. No burning whatsoever!
20230627_110307.jpg

I apply it while my face is still wet from rinsing soap. Let it sit wet while I put my crap away, then rinse again, dry off and apply splash.
Does it do anything? Not sure

Be well
Jay

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use Dickenson's regular witch hazel with 14 % alcohol to clean soap residual off my face. It is also a astringent because it has a little alcohol, been using it for years. Also I use it for diluting strong scented aftershaves seems to help. It is better priced than other witch hazel brands locally.
Z-post shave witch hazel.jpg

have some great shaves!

I don’t recall ever using the Lemongrass Thayer’s but I use Unscented, Cucumber or Rose almost daily. Very little burn due to being alcohol free.

Maybe the lemongrass is causing a reaction. Have you tried the other “flavours”?

I use unscented mixed 50/50 with Osage Rub. For me that gives a perfect blend of toner and cooling. No problems using it either.

So, I bought the rose version a couple of months ago. And it's total garbage. Made my skin so oily and doesn't seem to clean much.

With the lemongrass version, despite the sting, it cleans so well and makes my skin so dry and clean. And I can really see the dirt coming off.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tried Thayers astringent, as well as the lavender and cucumber toners, but did not find them beneficial so stopped using them. I gave them to the wife who loves the astringent and uses it as a nightly facial cleanser; she is not so keen on the toners. For some reason I am now expected to buy her a replacement Thayers astringent every three or four months - that will teach me 😆

Top Bottom