What's new

Caring for a safety razor

loosen it up a bit, rinse it off, set it down on a folded paper towel. I keep the blade inside until I change it out for a fresh edge.

-jim

The water and shave cream I use allow me to just do a quick rinse and shake. When I change blades or razors, I'll give the old razor a shot of Scrubbing Bubbles and rinse.

I open the razor and rinse it out. I'm one who also takes out the blade. I dab it dry and store it for next time (sometimes I rotate blades as well as razors). After rinsing the razor I wipe the blade chamber out with a towel to dry it before standing it upside down to dry for the day.

All I do is rinse the Mergress XL off and put it on the sink. That's all after a shave. No taking it apart. No alcohol. No oil. No scrubbing. Just a quick rinse and good to go for next shave.

When I change the blade, take on old toothbrush with some liquid soap and clean off razor. Once every three months, put a drop of oil down adjusting barrel.

YMMV and you could do what you want with your razor.

I just see way too much fuss over cleaning a razor... it blows my mind.

Razors are tough! They don't need to be coddled.

I always disassemble the razor, dry the blade and reassemble the razor after each shave. I sometimes find debris and lather along the cap and blade interface so a daily wipe dry is necessary. It also prevents limescale build up - I live in a hard water area.

I rinse, take the blade out, rinse the razor & blade, shave head with a cartridge, when finished, rinse brush & squeese, blot tips, dry the razor parts with a paper towel, pat the blade dry, re-assemble.

I have an injector, so the blade is captive and can't be removed for cleaning. I have a Schick "Hydro-magic" (Type I2) which allows loosening of the cap and guard to rinse the blade and razor. After shaving, I flush it several times with hot water, then hang to dry with cap and guard loose. When new blade is due (abt 2 weeks), I douse it with Scrubbing Bubbles and clean with a toothbrush to get soap scum and film, then rinse thoroughly with hot water, and hang to dry, as above.

Top Bottom