What's new

From shavette to a real straight

So for the past month I have been shaving my cheeks alternating hands with a parker shavette and finishing the shave with my DE razor, little by little, now I can complete my entire shave with the shavette and I like straight razor shaving (confirmed:thumbup1:) So when i started wet shaving i went through alot of different razors alot of different blades soaps brushes etc...and then i tried certain products i wish i would have tried first an example is the feather blade after buying all most all blades in existence thinking feathers were out of my league as a beginner and then when i tried a feather blade I was like well damn wish i would have tried these first.
So my question for you experienced straight razor shavers is what is your favorite go to razor and would you recommend it to someone like me who is looking at purchasing his first one. I know little about Straight edge razors as far as good brands etc.

You'll find a straight a fair bit heavier than a shavette. I'd recommend a Solingen made round point between 5/8 and 6/8 in size. The brand doesn't really matter because all Solingen straights are good.

You'll find a straight a fair bit heavier than a shavette. I'd recommend a Solingen made round point between 5/8 and 6/8 in size. The brand doesn't really matter because all Solingen straights are good.

I agree on size and round point, but it may be worth mentioning that the razor should be professionally sharpened before first use to be truly shave-ready.

Many razors that leave the factory as "shave-ready" (e.g. Dovo) and are sold as such are in fact not. That's where a reputable seller who can perform this service comes in.

In my experience Aust razors are usually shave ready when sold and are universally held in high regard.

B.

Last edited:
Because different styles feel very different, my advice is to get an inexpensive vintage razor (or two in different styles), and find out what you like. Then, do it again, but with other style(s). After several razors, you'll probably know what you like.

I agree with the above advice regarding shave-readiness.

My favorite razor is my kamisori (for reasons which are too numerous and lengthy to go into here). It feels very different from Western straights, although I enjoy them, too.

thanks for the replies and i was assuming shave ready meant shave ready but now i know. Ill start looking into solingen made and the aust razors i have also been looking for a local sharpening service so i dont have to ship my blade to someone to hone, so far i found a knife sharpening place and in the small print says they sharpen straights too only time will tell. I also want to try a kamisori style staight too so much to try so little time :thumbup:

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
When you transition to the regular razor you will need to readjust your technique a bit. Some have no problem, some have a trickier time. Good luck on the new quest!

Top Bottom