What's new

They call me insane

You guys are not gonna believe this story, but I'll tell it anyway. As I wrapped up some business abroad, I had dinner with some colleagues and a couple of guests. A young woman whom we knew (a small time ex-model) commented that she liked how neat and put-together we (older) gentlemen were. She added, "It's so nice to see how clean shaven you are. The trendy unshaven look is so Ick." She actually used a Russian expression that I didn't understand at first.

When told this story, my wife said, "Perhaps this shaving business is not so good after all." :001_cool:

I did the same thing at a training class at work. One guy asked me how he could get started. The rest of my co workers wanted to remove all sharp objects from my desk

I can relate. When I started a class at my new gym the instructor asked us to tell the class who we were and something interesting about ourselves. I came very close to saying shaving with a DE is one of my hobbies and I hope to start learning to shave with a straight soon.

Tried to get my little brothers to switch, but they both thing I am just a weirdo who spend 25 minutes in the bathroom every morning.

This is just the tip of the insane iceburg...

$ShavingSoapsAndCreams.jpg

And I know there are plenty of people here who are more insane than I am. My wife thinks I'm nuts too. "Why all of those razors? You can only shave with one at a time" she said to me this morning while I was stropping one of my straights before shaving.

--Jerome

... I had dinner with some colleagues and a couple of guests. A young woman whom we knew (a small time ex-model) commented that she liked how neat and put-together we (older) gentlemen were. She added, "It's so nice to see how clean shaven you are. The trendy unshaven look is so Ick." She actually used a Russian expression that I didn't understand at first.

Russian ex-models...jeez, some guys have all the luck!

As for TheGRMan and his monthly seminars on shaving, that sounds like fun. YouTube vids and the advice found here at B&B are all well and good, but hands-on classroom experience would be much more valuable. Practice trumps theory, I say.

The few people I have told about traditional shaving have shown a singular lack of interest, so I don't mention it now. I have been enjoying my shaves for over 45 years and plan to continue to do so.

Nobody, but nobody wants to hear about your shaving journey. They're too happy in their hatred for shaving.

I've converted exactly one person, and only because he complained to me about his ingrowns. I carefully baited the hook, let him believe he was only going to solve this one problem, then gave the line a good yank. He's hooked, and can't stop thanking me while continually asking for soap and cream recommendations.

Build it and they will come.

I was talking with my youngest nephew the other day he's 22. I told him one day when he was ready I'd teach him about the finer art of shaving and sent him a pic of my shave of the day. He said he'd been wanting to switch to a safety razor for awhile but the initial expense was more than he could afford for now. I told him well the holidays are approaching and we'll see what Santa can do to help. I've already started ordering his setup [emoji3]
Very nice!

One of my colleagues thinks that I'm completely mad...

" Ok man, now you need help. Really, you do... Is that... Is that what I think it is? Pictures of lather? You've really gone completely mad haven't you? You're looking at pictures of lather on your computer?"

People just don't seem to understand how absolutely exhilarating it is to finally, after two decades of using canned detergent and plastic cartridges, finish shaving for the first time with a DE one morning, look into the mirror, and say out loud:

"Did I just shave? Nah, it's impossible... My face doesn't feel like I've rubbed it with sandpaper dipped in kerosene. It feels like I've just passed a steel rod on my face. I must have used it wrong or something."

..and then, drain the water from the sink before rinsing my face while thinking "this is DE thing is crap! I just payed good money for a useless razor!" And then, low and behold! Stubble stuck to the sides of the sink!

I... Did... Shave...

Wow...

But I don't care if they think that I've gone over the edge. I just look at their red and irritated necks and channel the spirit of Home Simpson.

"Yeah, crazy like a fox!"
:p

Last edited:
I actually tried to convince some of my friends to try DE wet shaving but they kept looking at me funny. But they always remarked about how cool my razors are whenever they entered my bathroom.

Tried to get my little brothers to switch, but they both thing I am just a weirdo who spend 25 minutes in the bathroom every morning.
Well I didn't think that I would eat my word, especially so soon. My brother came and asked me "how do you do you shave with that thing". Happy to report his first shave went fine.

Everyone thinks I'm weird because I don't conform to the norm most of the time anyway. When they've found out I use DE, I get a strange look and the subject's changed very quickly. Why I'm expected to listen to whatever it is they are up to, is beyond me.

The few people I have told about traditional shaving have shown a singular lack of interest, so I don't mention it now. I have been enjoying my shaves for over 45 years and plan to continue to do so.

I started my journey over sixty years ago last month. Nearly everyone I knew then, who was shaving, used an electric shaver. I kept trying those the first ten years, and never made that adjustment. I was a proponent of the classical shave and a proselytizer from fairly early on (say 55 years now). I have convinced a few electric shaver users to convert to blade shaving, but rather seldom would those new razor users try either a DE or an SE.

At the age I have reached now, some eccenticity seems acceptable to younger family members, and even the occasional acquaintance, so they humor me.

Nobody, but nobody wants to hear about your shaving journey. They're too happy in their hatred for shaving.

I've converted exactly one person, and only because he complained to me about his ingrowns. I carefully baited the hook, let him believe he was only going to solve this one problem, then gave the line a good yank. He's hooked, and can't stop thanking me while continually asking for soap and cream recommendations.

Build it and they will come.
Longtime ago when I was on high school my science teacher told me that all those new cart systems are just crap, he told me that he shaved with a DE razor. I laughed so hard because a DE razor looks so primitive compared to the Fusion. I still remember his exact words he said you young guys don't know what you're missing. I wish I have listened to him back in the days.

My best friend is going to marry soon, I'm planning to give him a complete DE razor kit as a gift. I think this is the best gift you can give to someone.

My best friend is going to marry soon, I'm planning to give him a complete DE razor kit as a gift. I think this is the best gift you can give to someone.

I thought about giving a dear friend of mine a razor for christmas, after reading this I think I will do it.

On topic, I got into this because I wanted a cheaper alternative to using cartridges. After a small investment in a good razor you can get the blades really cheap, mission accomplished. After a while you learn more and put more into it. Next thing you know you're hooked. At least that how it was for me. This is something nobody could have talked me into before I tried it. It was a conscious decision on my part.

No shame in the shaving game!!

I found if I talked about old Razors(no matter how cool they are) I would get creepy comments. If I recommend guys a good soap, creme, and brush they get excited. Give em a month or so then hit em with the DE Razor. By that time they are most the way there.

It also helps that most of my freinds are in there mid-40s, so we are old enough(Just) to remember Dad or Mom using these critters.

I happened to show up at work without shaving first a week or so ago. My job demands a daily shave, so... I whipped out the Tech with an Astra and used some restroom soap dispenser foam to shave with. Not the best shave, but it impressed the hell out of the younger guys on shift. Most of them asked if they could use my Razor, sans used blade, next time they forgot to shave vs the "Prison Razor"(Single blade plastic type). Thought that was cool.

I live in northern Europe, and perhaps the culture is a bit different here. I frequently meet men who have converted to wet shaving. At work i know of several, some of whom I've converted. It seems to be a trend among middle aged professionals along with hand made shoes, making your own sausage, brewing your own beer, drinking good wines and owning an automatic watch. A way of finding new pleasures in life when you're happily married, the kids at least half grown up and the economic platform reasonable stable.

To my great joy most still haven't found out about straight razors. So I explore the Swedish straight razor heritage at local antique shops in search for the real gems while I still can afford them. When I look at eBay's prices for what far too often is junk I don't know if i should cry or laugh.

Top Bottom