What's new

Wife's first foray into wet shaving her legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has always shaved her legs before showering, and has used disposable razors and canned foam.

Today she will ease into what we hope will be a better way.

So as not to introduce too many new elements at one time, today she will continue to use a disposable Bic single blade razor.

After discussing this with her, she will try a two shower approach...
The first shower gets her clean, and softens the leg hairs
The second shower rinses off any hair, alum, etc. and lets her wash her hair (so it will be wet when she/dries styles it)

I just gave her a lesson on how to lather using a brush and scuttle (Georgetown G12).
She was impressed by and quite interested in the lathering process. When creating the lather I realized that she will likely use more lather than I would on my bearded face, so she will adjust when she makes her batch.
I demonstrated a hybrid lather (cream and soap) that I thought would work well for her.

Here's what she will try today.

- Soak a T&H Super Badger brush in the scuttle during her shower.
- Come out of the shower, dry off.
- Empty the scuttle, refill the reservoir
- Shake out the brush just a bit
- Place a almond size glop of Bigelow (Proraso) green cream in the bottom of the scuttle
- Load the brush on a puck of Arko for about a minute, some of that time with the brush below the puck
- Make the lather in the scuttle, incorporating the Arko and the cream, adding water as needed.
- Shave
- use an alum block
- Return to the shower to wash her hair (and remove the alum)
- come out of the shower, apply after shave balm (Nivea or Real Shaving Co), perhaps mixed with some fragrance
- dry her hair.
- kiss me

What do you think?
I will report back with her results and comments.

The next step will be to move to a DE razor... or perhaps a Feather AS straight. She's interested!

I'm interested in the results as I also want to introduce my wife to the ways of wet shaving for shaving her legs - for her sake, and to appease my ADs :)

One of the guys on base told me that he had been singing the praises of his new R41, so while he was at work his wife decided to shave her legs with it :w00t:!! The results were, as you may guess, not pretty. He said it looked like she had a fight with a weed eater :laugh:! He has since given her one of his brushes, some TOBS grapefruit, and an old tech :thumbup:

My thoughts .. wow that is complicated and exhausting! Phew.

I shower, don't dry off the legs, lather the legs (one at a time), shave, wipe off with washcloth, moisturize and go. :D

Let me know how it works. I just offered to let my wife try, but she's afraid that she will cut her legs up.. Plus I only have one razor and I hate sharing ;)

eperdu,

My bride is just concerned that her (rather fine) hair is going to dry while she is shaving her legs. That's the reason for the second shower.
Otherwise, I agree with your approach. The main difference compared to how she's been doing it all along is that she always showered after the shave. I pointed out the advantage of using the shower to soften the hair and prep for the shave.

We'll see how it goes, she's going to try this after lunch today.

Eaaqas,

That's one reason we are not switching to a different razor today. Let's get her comfortable with making lather, and give up the canned stuff. Besides, it's fun playing with the soaps/creams... it's like cooking.

My wife has also settled into the DE leg shave routine. I picked her up a cased Lady Gillette a few months back and she loves it. She has been burning up my MWF w/ a boar brush. She also has a vintage silver plated shaving mug she lathers in...the kind with a top bowl where you can put hot water underneath. Luckily, I have tons of other soaps for her to use next. It's a great way to share your hobby with your significant other and get some of the product used up so you can buy more. Her preferred aftershave is Fine Snake Bite! She has gone through one bottle already.

If she likes this, we will collaborate on a custom brush handle for her. I have a few Whipped Dog silvertip and synthetic knots waiting for me to get to my lathe, and she will do the embellishments. I haven't posted any photos of the kind of woodturning work we do... those will come soon.

eperdu,

My bride is just concerned that her (rather fine) hair is going to dry while she is shaving her legs.

Baths are also good for this. You get a nice good relaxing soak out of it too! There are some fun vids of men shaving their ladies, might be a topic to broach later on. ;)

Have fun! My wife's acceptance of this hobby (she got me started) does not extend to her getting involved. Except once she didn't want me wasting some B&M Adagio that I was test lathering, but still with the cart.

My wife started out with a Lady Gillette now she uses a Black Beauty set at 8. And loves it. Best she has ever shaved.

Well she enjoyed the experience, with the exception of the "I hate that Bic razor" (a great thing to hear)
She didn't like the way it kept clogging (she hadn't shaved her legs in a while)
She liked making and applying the lather, using the alum block, and the moisturizer.
Now to see which razor to use for the next time. An EJ DE89? My 1952 Superspeed? A Feather Popular? Some "lady" razor to be named later, or or or.
$zDSCN4119_1024.jpg

$zDSCN4125_1024.jpg

$zDSCN4130_1024.jpg

I doubt many men have relationships that would survive taking/posting a photo of their wife's hairy leg.
She is a very special lady!

Last edited:
I am so glad she shaved!:blink: I actually cringed when I saw the hair Really-no offence intended. You really gotta get her a razor of her own!

No offense taken. That's what happens when you work at home... No one sees your legs.
She laughed when she saw the photo... The hair looks worse when it's in the lather.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Gents if this thread turns too far into locker room humor it will go to the Barbershop. Or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom