What's new

Newbie SE shaving

Hey Guys, my names Zac and i'm from Australia.

I recently got sick of shaving with disposable razors and thought i'd give wet shaving a go. I found a cheapish GEM single edge 1912 safety razor online so figured i'd start there. After i bought it and it arrived, i tried to find some information about it and how to use it. Made me a little scared haha, quite a few people didn't seem to like them. And most people seemed pretty scared to use it for the first time.
$razor234-gem1912-1914-vg.jpg
This isn't mine, but it's the exact same as mine. I've had it for a week and have been waiting for some blades to come from connaught shaving. I got sick of waiting and found some at a local chemist. Not sure if they are the right ones though. They're made by GEM come in a five pack, but say "Handy blades for scraping paint, removing labels and other industrial purposes" Anyway, they seemed to work fine.

So i had my first shave today and it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be. Upper lip was pretty hard, but other than that it was really easy. Didn't even cut myself! Not the smoothest but i'm sure i'll get there.

Anyway, glad to meet you all! thanks for all the information you've posted that's helped me!

Hey Guys, my names Zac and i'm from Australia.

I recently got sick of shaving with disposable razors and thought i'd give wet shaving a go. I found a cheapish GEM single edge 1912 safety razor online so figured i'd start there. After i bought it and it arrived, i tried to find some information about it and how to use it. Made me a little scared haha, quite a few people didn't seem to like them. And most people seemed pretty scared to use it for the first time.
View attachment 510447
This isn't mine, but it's the exact same as mine. I've had it for a week and have been waiting for some blades to come from connaught shaving. I got sick of waiting and found some at a local chemist. Not sure if they are the right ones though. They're made by GEM come in a five pack, but say "Handy blades for scraping paint, removing labels and other industrial purposes" Anyway, they seemed to work fine.

So i had my first shave today and it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be. Upper lip was pretty hard, but other than that it was really easy. Didn't even cut myself! Not the smoothest but i'm sure i'll get there.

Anyway, glad to meet you all! thanks for all the information you've posted that's helped me!

Be careful with those blades, they're meant for industrial use and not for shaving .

Welcome to the B & B forum Zac! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Welcome mate. It will be interesting to see the comparison when the blades you ordered arrive compared to the ones you got from the chemist.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Yeah, i thought they were probably the wrong blades. But they shaved fine. A little more irritation than a disposable for me, but nothing too bad. I think that's probably more to do with my technique than the blades though. I only really did two wtg passes and it was close enough. After reading a few more guides on lather i've realised what i was using probably wasn't close to a lather haha. So i'll have another go tomorrow!

Top Bottom