What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Hi Marco,

While the pomade that opened my eyes was actually Brylcream (because it's locally available & fairly cheap), I was inspired to try pomades by the movie O Brother Where Art Though. I still haven't tried Dapper Dan, but it's on my short list.

On a side note, I had my first Barbershop visit ever on Tuesday. I've been cutting my own hair for years, before that my mom was my stylist. I enjoyed the experience quite a bit, it was a little tough on the wallet though. I went to a local favorite called Heimie's Haberdashery, cool place.

Ive been using dapper Dan for probably close to a year now and like it a lot. I use the original so it's not a super strong hold but it does well. Nice scent and its water based so it washes out too easy. Like don't get caught in a light rain easy.

So my fav mix is royal crown with a bit of Murray's. Works really well for me. Just recently ran out of royal crown so went looking in the cabinet and found a tub of dax red. I'd forgotten how great this stuff is. Not overly thick so you don't need to break it down with royal crown, and has excellent hold.

So, gentlemen, I have an interesting topic/issue/possible concern to pose to the board. Since late last year I have had to regularly deal with reoccurring bouts of contact dermatitis (an allergic reaction due to coming in contact with a substance that aggravates the skin). This was initially and still is quite a concern as I've not previously had any allergic reactions. Well, while I've not been able to make the time for a patch test at the Dermatologist, I have been experimenting by removing certain products from my lineup to try and narrow the field. Now, how this relates to you fine gentlemen is that at present time one of the last remaining culprits may very well be my petroleum based pomades. Thus, my inquiry, has anyone else happened upon an actual allergic reaction to a certain pomade?

So my fav mix is royal crown with a bit of Murray's. Works really well for me. Just recently ran out of royal crown so went looking in the cabinet and found a tub of dax red. I'd forgotten how great this stuff is. Not overly thick so you don't need to break it down with royal crown, and has excellent hold.

Have you tried using "a little dab" of Brylcreem to break down the Murray's? I have recently been doing this and it works really well. You have the hold of strong pomade but the flexibility and softness from the Brylcreem. Plus it adds a good shine, if you like that.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
So, gentlemen, I have an interesting topic/issue/possible concern to pose to the board. Since late last year I have had to regularly deal with reoccurring bouts of contact dermatitis (an allergic reaction due to coming in contact with a substance that aggravates the skin). This was initially and still is quite a concern as I've not previously had any allergic reactions. Well, while I've not been able to make the time for a patch test at the Dermatologist, I have been experimenting by removing certain products from my lineup to try and narrow the field. Now, how this relates to you fine gentlemen is that at present time one of the last remaining culprits may very well be my petroleum based pomades. Thus, my inquiry, has anyone else happened upon an actual allergic reaction to a certain pomade?

Sir, have you ever tried petroleum-free oil based pomades? Or, alternatively, water based pomades? However, the first thing I'll do in your shoes would be a complete check-up with a dermatologist to identify what exactly causes your dermatitis and, after that, proceed with small samples of pomades to test.

Last edited:

Nope. If it is the pomade, it should be easy to figure out as the reaction would easily be visible at the hairline.

Well, for some reason my O'Douds Based Pomade couldn't be delivered. This is disappointing. I sent O'Douds an email telling them what happened. Hopefully we can work something out as painlessly as possible.

Sir, have you ever tried petroleum-free oil based pomades? Or, alternatively, water based pomades? However, the first thing I'll do in your shoes would be a complete check-up with a dermatologist to identify what exactly causes your dermatitis and, after that, proceed with small samples of pomades to test.

Yes, I'm actually not new pomades. I've been using water based pomades since mid-late last year, and around October started to introduce petroleum/oil based pomades. My petroleum/oil based range from Reuzel "Green", King Brown, Royal Crown "Hair Dressing", Classic Pomades "Silver", and several more. At this point I believe I have it narrowed down to either being a mouthwash I began using at that time or the Petroleum/Oil based pomades. As far as I can tell I've had no reactions to the water based, but am not certain as to the component if any in the petroleum/oil that may be causing the reaction. I've inspected the contents, and depending on the pomade they can vary quite a bit. The most notable difference that has caught my attention is the use or lack of microcrystalline wax in some of the pomades.

Nope. If it is the pomade, it should be easy to figure out as the reaction would easily be visible at the hairline.

I wish it were that easy, but contact dermatitis doesn't actually even have to appear remotely near the affected area or immediately. I've been advised by the dermatologist that an outbreak of this sort can actually appear on my back or legs, and be due to something I used on my face a week prior. I've had to do extensive research at this point, being that I've never encountered this before. This is actually the equivalent of a dermatologist's nightmare, due to my having no previous allergic reactions of any kind to trace back to.

I've uploaded this previously, but this a glance at my current pomade lineup.
$20150302_211145.jpg

I wish it were that easy, but contact dermatitis doesn't actually even have to appear remotely near the affected area or immediately. I've been advised by the dermatologist that an outbreak of this sort can actually appear on my back or legs, and be due to something I used on my face a week prior. I've had to do extensive research at this point, being that I've never encountered this before. This is actually the equivalent of a dermatologist's nightmare, due to my having no previous allergic reactions of any kind to trace back to.

That would certainly make things difficult. Probably even harder considering the amount of pomades you've got.

Have you tried using "a little dab" of Brylcreem to break down the Murray's? I have recently been doing this and it works really well. You have the hold of strong pomade but the flexibility and softness from the Brylcreem. Plus it adds a good shine, if you like that.
Will definitely have to give that one a try. Probably work just as good if not even better. Expecting a tub of bona fide superior in a few days though so pretty excited to give that stuff a try.

Well, my O'Doud's The Based Pomade came in yesterday and I picked it up today. It has a very woodsy/herbal scent. I like it. I haven't used it yet, and probably won't until tomorrow. I'll degrease my hair today (I had Black and White in) and then give it a fresh go with the Based. I'll keep you guys posted.

Here is the ingredient list: water, hydrogenated castor oil, jojoba oil, beeswax, candlelilla wax, shea butter, essential oil, borax, and soy lecithin.

There is a lot of stuff in this pomade. Wow. It's had good results so far, so maybe O'Doud's and the Pomp are onto something. We shall see.

Nice romantic opening post but I have my doubts: If the Italian barber was in New York or elsewhere in USA he would likely be using a pomade. But in Europe during the 30's he would more likely be using Brilliantine invented in 1900 by Pinaud for which the new Pomade was a competitor. In fact Brilliantine was more of a hair tonic and conditioner whereas Pomade was and still is a method of holding hair in place and nothing more. A renaissance yes but not everything which is new is better. Pashana Original Brilliantine (Jack Dean in USA); Tres Flores (Pinaud) Brilliantine (USA); or try Yardley English Lavender Brilliantine Pomade.

Last edited:
Well my love for water based pomades got the better of me. I ordered the barber sized tub of Suavecito (regular hold) last night. It's equivalent to 8 jars of product. For good measure I might snag a small tin of the Reuzel Red (piglet size). The tin looks awesome although I have a feeling the hold will be much stronger than I need.

On another note, did you guys see that rumble59 makes water based schmeire now too? Jar instead of their tins however. Not sure if this is new or not, but figured I would share.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433109791.562384.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433109905.424296.jpg

O'doud's Based Pomade Update: First use was pretty good. It is pretty waxy and you can roll the product into a ball. It breaks down easily on the hands and rubs in smoothly. Combing it is easy and doesn't tug. The scent is long lasting and kind of strong. It reminds me of Lockhart's Medium. A downside for me is that I don't like strong scents. But the scent is still enjoyable. The hold was firm and pretty much stayed the same after I got home work as it was styled when I was getting ready for work.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Well my love for water based pomades got the better of me. I ordered the barber sized tub of Suavecito (regular hold) last night. It's equivalent to 8 jars of product. For good measure I might snag a small tin of the Reuzel Red (piglet size). The tin looks awesome although I have a feeling the hold will be much stronger than I need.

On another note, did you guys see that rumble59 makes water based schmeire now too? Jar instead of their tins however. Not sure if this is new or not, but figured I would share.
View attachment 575652
View attachment 575653

The water based pomades from Schmiere Rumble 59 are not a latest lovelty, but something that has been around for a while now. Honestly, I don't see too much talk about them, while the oil based pomades get a lot more attention.

Top Bottom