What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Both Groom & Clean and Brylcreem (in a tube) have Water as the first ingredient.

In fact their first three ingredients are fairly similar
Brylcreem: Water , Mineral Oil , Beeswax
Groom & Clean: Water , Mineral Oil, PEG 20 Hydrogenated Lanolin

The biggest difference being the hydroginated lanolin and the Beeswax between them. The rest of the chemicals in each and the fact that Groom & Clean hydroginates the lanolin is why they act so differently but at the core they are fairly similar products. Neither acting like a true modern water based pomade to me though.

Well, I tried Layrite despite the scent and after application I don't smell it. So, it's a keeper. Does Layrite Super Shine provide significantly more shine than Super Hold?

Super Shine is more of a creamy product then the super hold. For me when I use Layrite, I use Superhold as the base for the nice hold, then top it off with supershine for a high hold high shine finish.

Super Shine when used on it's own will produce a very high shine with good hold.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hey Marco, do you have anything to say about Linetti? I know it's a traditional Italian brand and figured you would know better than anyone else.

That was what my Grandfather (ad most Italian men of his age) used! I recall him always having soft, super shiny hair for his Slickback and the lotion had a nice fragrance of Lavender. Some older Italian men still use it, but I've personally never tested it myself.

That was what my Grandfather (ad most Italian men of his age) used! I recall him always having soft, super shiny hair for his Slickback and the lotion had a nice fragrance of Lavender. Some older Italian men still use it, but I've personally never tested it myself.
I saw some on Italian Barber and thought about getting some. They also have the liquid brilliantine for sale too. Maybe you could get some and tell us how it is?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I saw some on Italian Barber and thought about getting some. They also have the liquid brilliantine for sale too. Maybe you could get some and tell us how it is?

Yep, why not. I could use it as a cover upon my heavier pomades for a high gloss finish. Let me see if I can find it at a good price somewhere here in Rome.

Anybody heard of Gabel's Pomade? I discovered it on Shoebox Shave Shop today. Evidently it's an old American brand that's been around for over 80 years and was popular in West Coast barbershops. They have a Brillantine Pomade and a Lemon Pomade.

Last edited:
Is there someone who had tried King Brown and Railcar Supreme or Standard hold ? I would like to know which one has less shine.

Just started using pomades. So far my favorite is the Suavcito. It seems to hold my hair in place the best. Do you gentlemen have short or long hair cuts. My bangs and top of my head are long while the sides and back are razor cut (1/4 inch). What do you find holds your hair in place the best?

I am not sure if it is fate or if this site is just bad for my wallet. Just as I was frustrated with my unruly hair I stumbled on this thread. I never thought I would use a pomade but after read the whole thread I decided to give it a try.

Since this is a test I did not want to page the huge shipping charges and bought what I could find in Korea online. I pick up Layright Super Shine and Dax Hight and Tight Awesome Shine. I want to try both types of pomade. While I was at it I picked up a Kent handmade comb too.

Attachments

• $IMG_1486.jpg
    $IMG_1486.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 87
Good rule of thumb is that the heavier the hold, the less shine there is. The other things to look for are matte and clay finish.
Yeah, i know that, but till there are some product with less shine. I can't really find any clay and matte finish products. All i can find is the Teddy boy matte, which i'll buy when Rebelgent have it in stock. I guess i'll get the Railcar strong hold than

Yeah, i know that, but till there are some product with less shine. I can't really find any clay and matte finish products. All i can find is the Teddy boy matte, which i'll buy when Rebelgent have it in stock. I guess i'll get the Railcar strong hold than

Have you looked into the Uppercut Matt Clay?

Uppercut or Woodys or Star Wax or American Crew or Axe or Old Spice or Bees Knees or Dapper Dan or Tancho, or Lucky 13, all have clay/matte (sometimes called fiber) holds. I'm sure there are plenty more under pastes or creams that will act similar to pomades.

Last edited:
I am not sure if it is fate or if this site is just bad for my wallet. Just as I was frustrated with my unruly hair I stumbled on this thread. I never thought I would use a pomade but after read the whole thread I decided to give it a try.

Since this is a test I did not want to page the huge shipping charges and bought what I could find in Korea online. I pick up Layright Super Shine and Dax Hight and Tight Awesome Shine. I want to try both types of pomade. While I was at it I picked up a Kent handmade comb too.

I saw that comb and had to go order one!!

Uppercut or Woodys or Star Wax or American Crew or Axe or Old Spice or Bees Knees or Dapper Dan or Tancho, or Lucky 13, all have clay/matte (sometimes called fiber) holds. I'm sure there are plenty more under pastes or creams that will act similar to pomades.
Oooh, so fiber is clay/matte :O I didn't know that. Thanks for the info

Top Bottom