What's new

Shavemac ?

I am seriously considering a Shavemac 2band and was wondering what
the pros and cons of purchasing from Shavemac or the likes of Rudy Vey?
What are the resale implications in case I don't like the brush? Thanks

Resale implications? Well, if you don't like it, you'll probably be able to sell it pretty quick on the BST. Keep any packaging. That helps items move faster and command higher prices.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have had two Shavemacs and two Rudy Veys with Shavemac knots. The advantage is that Rudy can make you a custom brush to your specifications. At Shavemac you are "limited" but do they have a brush creator, so it is a fairly large selection. I have since sold both Shavemacs, but kept the Rudy Veys with shavemac knots.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I love my 2 Band. Good scrub, soft tips, and I've used it about 25 times now and it hasn't shed a single hair. Never bought from Rudy Vey before but the pics of his work are great. Either way the Shavemac 2 Band knots are wonderful.

I don't have the two band but I recently got a 3-band direct from Shavemac. The website and brush configuration page is well laid out and easy to use. They were quick in building the brush and 2 days after ordering it they shipped it out. Even the German post and USPS came through with only 11 days in transit. Great all around experience.
For the brush itself, no doubt it is a top shelf brush; in the 16 or so shaves and lathers it has shed a total of 8 hairs, 7 in the first two lathers and one since.

I can't say enough good about Shavemac brushes, I have a DO1 3 band 23x46 and for me almost too scrubby and heard that 2bands are even firmer.

Get opinions from Rudy and Bernd, they've been doing brushes for a long time. With Rudy you get a custom brush.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I now feel comfortable going
in either direction. I feel good about that, double the choice.

I have had two Shavemacs and two Rudy Veys with Shavemac knots. The advantage is that Rudy can make you a custom brush to your specifications. At Shavemac you are "limited" but do they have a brush creator, so it is a fairly large selection. I have since sold both Shavemacs, but kept the Rudy Veys with shavemac knots.

+1 Rudy would also be a bit quicker with things! Good luck and they are great brushes. You do know that Shavemac has introduced a new 2-Band hair called Silvertip 2-Band.

+1 Rudy would also be a bit quicker with things! Good luck and they are great brushes. You do know that Shavemac has introduced a new 2-Band hair called Silvertip 2-Band.
Has anyone tried the silvertip 2 band? This muddys the water a bit. Choices when you can't demo are a real pain.

I am seriously considering a Shavemac 2band and was wondering what
the pros and cons of purchasing from Shavemac or the likes of Rudy Vey?
What are the resale implications in case I don't like the brush? Thanks

Just for clarification: Are you inquiring about the Shavemac silvertip DO1-2 band, or the new, regular silvertip 2 band? I can comment on the new regular silvertip 2 band, since I have one, from Shavemac website. I also have a Shavemac regular silvertip 3 band from Rudy Vey, as well as a Shavemac Finest from RV. I had (since sold) a Shavemac silvertip DO1-3 band. I have not owned the DO1-2 band, but I've heard it's the firmest of the bunch. If it's got more backbone than the DO1-3 band, it would be too much for me (YMMV).

To your point about 2 band: the new regular 2 band is great! It's got the best of both worlds - soft tips (absolutely zero scritch), with good backbone. But you're going to pay for it, for sure. Is it worth it? That's an individual assessment. Out of the three that I own, I actually prefer the Rudy Vey Finest grade the most. And it's the best value, IMO.

Pros and Cons regarding Shavemac website or RV: it just depends on whether you want a custom handle. If so, RV is great.

Resale implications: You'll be able to sell it quickly.

$SM3a.jpg

new regular silvertip 2 band/Finest/regular silvertip

I had a Shavemac Silvertip, 24mm increased to a more denser knot years ago when Bernd made one for me on special order and to this day, the brush has performed perfectly with every type of cream or soap I've used it with. The brush's lifespan will probably exceed mine.

Just for clarification: Are you inquiring about the Shavemac silvertip DO1-2 band, or the new, regular silvertip 2 band? I can comment on the new regular silvertip 2 band, since I have one, from Shavemac website. I also have a Shavemac regular silvertip 3 band from Rudy Vey, as well as a Shavemac Finest from RV. I had (since sold) a Shavemac silvertip DO1-3 band. I have not owned the DO1-2 band, but I've heard it's the firmest of the bunch. If it's got more backbone than the DO1-3 band, it would be too much for me (YMMV).

To your point about 2 band: the new regular 2 band is great! It's got the best of both worlds - soft tips (absolutely zero scritch), with good backbone. But you're going to pay for it, for sure. Is it worth it? That's an individual assessment. Out of the three that I own, I actually prefer the Rudy Vey Finest grade the most. And it's the best value, IMO.

Pros and Cons regarding Shavemac website or RV: it just depends on whether you want a custom handle. If so, RV is great.

Resale implications: You'll be able to sell it quickly.

View attachment 510529

new regular silvertip 2 band/Finest/regular silvertip
Ok I see on the shavemac site the regular silvertip, the do1 silvertip and the two band silvertip. I do not
see a regular 2 band. I assume the regular 2 band would be the regular silvertip. I am going to get in touch
with Rudy and see if he can help me understand. The problem I really have is that I never seem to make the
right choice the first time and I guess that is all part of the journey. Thanks for the info and most of all the positive
info re: shavemac.

Ok I see on the shavemac site the regular silvertip, the do1 silvertip and the two band silvertip. I do not
see a regular 2 band. I assume the regular 2 band would be the regular silvertip. I am going to get in touch
with Rudy and see if he can help me understand. The problem I really have is that I never seem to make the
right choice the first time and I guess that is all part of the journey. Thanks for the info and most of all the positive

By the way I really like the Butterscotch.

OK, I see where the confusion lies on the Shavemac website. I'll bet that you clicked on "CONFIGURATOR" then clicked "Select Your Favorite Shaving Brush" - don't use that one. Instead, click on "SPECIALS", then click "Experts Selections". You'll then see all the options for handles, color, knot shape, hair quality, knot size, loft.

The hair quality is listed as: Pure Badger/Finest Badger/Silvertip/Silvertip 2-Band/Silvertip D01/Silvertip DO1 2-Band.

The new "Silvertip 2-Band" is the one that I have. The "Silvertip" and "Silvertip DO1" are 3 band. Yeh, confusing. And you'll have to solicit, or look through reviews for the DO1 2-band, but from what I glean, it's rather firm.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

OK, I see where the confusion lies on the Shavemac website. I'll bet that you clicked on "CONFIGURATOR" then clicked "Select Your Favorite Shaving Brush" - don't use that one. Instead, click on "SPECIALS", then click "Experts Selections". You'll then see all the options for handles, color, knot shape, hair quality, knot size, loft.

The hair quality is listed as: Pure Badger/Finest Badger/Silvertip/Silvertip 2-Band/Silvertip D01/Silvertip DO1 2-Band.

The new "Silvertip 2-Band" is the one that I have. The "Silvertip" and "Silvertip DO1" are 3 band. Yeh, confusing. And you'll have to solicit, or look through reviews for the DO1 2-band, but from what I glean, it's rather firm.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks this really helps and thanks to alaskazimm also. One more question, for face lathering
which knot is preferred, the bulb or the fan? thanks

Thanks this really helps and thanks to alaskazimm also. One more question, for face lathering
I have a vintage brush I would like to restore with a Shavemac knot, and intended for face lathering. Personally I will go for the flat shaped knot but it is a matter of personal preference.

There's no right or wrong answer. It's strictly a matter of personal preference. I like my Shavemac Finest fan, AND my Thater 3 band and 2 band silvertips in bulb for face lathering. What do you already have? Maybe mix it up if you only have one style.

Another consideration that I have not seen mentioned is the potential problems with communication (language). You will have less trouble with Rudy Vey. I have good results with Rudy. Tried many times to communicate with Bernd and never did get what I wanted on three brushes.

FWIW, good luck.
Vic

Top Bottom