What's new

The Right Brush

Ok, I am new to this hobby and not new to wet shaving if that makes sense.
I purchased my first Gillette in 1964 just forgot to buy a brush. Well now I
have a razor that really works well for me and feel no need to buy another
except for the experience. Brushes are a different story, I have 4 and not
one of them satisfies me as much as my razor does. That doesn't make them
bad, I just feel the need to find the holy grail. So with that said all my brushes,
2 WD's, Semogue 830, and a cheap synthetic, just don't cut it. I have read
extensively and it seems like all the high end brushes can have issues as well
so the question is what high end brush do I go for to see if throwing $$ at the
problem will solve the problem???? I am sure that I have left out some considerations
so please enlighten me. Thanks

Could you tell us what it is that you like and don't like about your current brushes individually? That would really help us to help you.

Could you tell us what it is that you like and don't like about your current brushes individually? That would really help us to help you.
The WD silvertip is set at about 48 and I would say it is still a bit on the floppy side and it doesn't really
release very well. Not that great for face lathering and with that said it is not a brush that is terrible. It
just doesn't float my boat without takin on water.
The 2nd WD is a High Mtn also set at about 48 and it is not really to floppy. I doesn't release that great and it
is a bit scratchy.
The Semogue 830 is also usable but only really good for one pass. It is ok for face lathering but not great.
The synthetic is a body shop brush and it is just not usable unless I didn't have anything else.
Thanks

Very tough; are you a consistent face-latherer? I ask because I bowl lather exclusively, so any hints I might have to off should be seen through that lens.

I am really happy with my WD silvertip, 22 x 50, I guess. Soft and not too floppy for me. It collects great amounts of soap from the puck, builds up great lather in my heard bowl, and applies it well, as I scrub it in.

I have a boar brush I used for 10+ years before I came back to DE shaving; it had more body, for sure, but didn't scratch; I was face lathering then. So maybe try a good boar brush?

Sounds like you want something with more backbone and good flow through. You also dont want something with to scratchy of tips. Sounds to me that a less expensive option would be a TGN finest. The do have a touch of scritch but it does soften some over time. Dont get me wrong the scritch is not harsh. Another option would be a shavemac Finest or even a 3 band DO1. Good luck in your quest!

I reload my Semogue 620 for pass #2. Just a few swirls and no big deal. Do you need to create enough lather on initial loading for 2-3 passes?

Top Bottom