What's new

Antique store find: GEM micromatic and push button

I found a GEM Micromatic and a Push Button at an antique store. Both seem to be in great condition. I cleaned them both and would like to give them a try.

I just happened to have a pack of GEM blue star single edge blades laying around since forever.

Does anyone use either if these and care to share their insight with these razors. Also, are these blades ok to use?

Thanks!

Nice score. Show us some pics. These should work well for you. Wander on over to the single edge forum for more information and user feedback.

Thanks! I will snap some picks tonight and repost. Btw, the Push Button model cam in its original plastic case with GEM blades and dispenser.

I have a push button ( Grey & Silver ) it's lighter than my G-Bar but it's a very nice model and will provide
a close shave. The Gem Blue Blades are my preferred blade.

These are really nice razors and I should use them more. They were ahead of their time.

I have a push button ( Grey & Silver ) it's lighter than my G-Bar but it's a very nice model and will provide
a close shave. The Gem Blue Blades are my preferred blade.

These are really nice razors and I should use them more. They were ahead of their time.

The Push Button that i bought has a black plastic handle with gold head.

The Micromatic looks like a chrome, open comb

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use both, the Blue star are a good blade but they rust (made of carbon) so make sure you dry them after each shave. I prefer the Personna Stainless Steel (Ted Pella) blades (they don't rust).

However, they both are great shavers. The Push Button is milder than the Micromatic.

I use both, the Blue star are a good blade but they rust (made of carbon) so make sure you dry them after each shave. I prefer the Personna Stainless Steel (Ted Pella) blades (they don't rust).

However, they both are great shavers. The Push Button is milder than the Micromatic.

Thanks! I was kinda thinking that the Push might be milder on account of not being open comb. I have read about the Blue Star's rusting. Some recommend drying. Others recommend a little baby oil

The micromatic looks like its from the future, lol

Also, I can't seem to find the persona stainless' locally whereas I have noticed the Blue Stars in stores. I suppose there's always an online source.

Thanks!

Here are the pics from the GEM Micromatic and Push Button.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 74
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 73
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 73
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 73
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 73
The push button was definitely smoother thus far. I took that for granted and tore my face off (razor burn). Typically I use a Mercur HD. That said, i did get a BBS! But I paid for it with some pain

I meant to say that the smoothness of the push button caused me to let my guard down with the Micromatic. And THAT tore my face off. No cuts, but rad razor burn

Top Bottom