What's new

tried Williams mug soap

At first i had trouble making it lather in a bowl, So i palm lathered it and developed a manageable lather. The lather dries quickly i had to Re visit the puck also. But it did work my skin does feel soft. It's not my first choice. But i try to buy everything locally. I wouldn't not buy it hopefully ill stumble on a stick of Arco somewhere.

At first i had trouble making it lather in a bowl, So i palm lathered it and developed a manageable lather. The lather dries quickly i had to Re visit the puck also. But it did work my skin does feel soft. It's not my first choice. But i try to buy everything locally. I wouldn't not buy it hopefully ill stumble on a stick of Arco somewhere.

I do not know your location, but some Turkish markets carry Arko.

Happy Shaves!

I will tip you off on this matter. The secret to getting a good lather with the Williams is to soak the puck in hot water for at least 10 minutes before using it. It will make the soap soft and ready for the brush. You will be able to load the brush easily. After it's loaded go right to face lathering it. It will work well after that. An old time shaver taught me this some time ago.

John H.

I'll give it a try seems like that would use up an awful lot of soap if I soaked it every time every time I shaved

Williams was my go-to soap for a long time. I'm currently using VDH deluxe, until my Cella etc. come in.

I pulled out the Williams puck and fired it up yesterday, just for kicks. I was able to get a good lather, but I was disappointed in how quickly it dried out on my face, so I had to reapply several times even on the same pass. OTOH it was very slick and I like the "old fashioned" fragrance.

I'll keep it around for sentimental reasons.

I agree with many of the comments regarding Williams. I too, many times have to re-lather about halfway through. The technique I use is simply to thoroughly wet the brush and not add any additional water. This gives me a very thick lather. I've also used the technique of putting hot water in the mug with the puck, draining most of it out and making a lather. Both work well, although I generally use the first method.
I have tried tons of shave lathering products, and Williams is always the one I come back to. Re-lathering only takes seconds and has never been bothersome. I love the fact it works well, has a pleasant aroma and is inexpensive. A buck a puck vs. 10 bucks a puck, I'll re-lather.

I've been wanting to try williams ever since I first heard of it, but to get it where I live I have to fork out at least 20 bucks. Kinda defeats the purpose for a cheap soap.

+1 for this. Williams likes a good soak in a hot tub. Then it will be your friend.

I will tip you off on this matter. The secret to getting a good lather with the Williams is to soak the puck in hot water for at least 10 minutes before using it. It will make the soap soft and ready for the brush. You will be able to load the brush easily. After it's loaded go right to face lathering it. It will work well after that. An old time shaver taught me this some time ago.

John H.

I have never had an issue with Williams. I just use a lot of water. And I always get a nice cushion-y shave. Love the stuff. And on my Sunday shave I decided to make super lather and added a squirt of Nivea Sensitive. WOW that was a great shave... the two make a great combo

I can relate with those who say it dries too fast. But I don't agree with that premise. Cover the top of the soap with hot water for 10 minutes. Then you have to spend some time learning how much of your water it requires and how much product to use. It's not going to be a specific recipe that everyone can use but once you find the right proportions then you will be smiling and the lather will remain. Like Arko the bang for the buck is really high but it will take some experimenting to find the right amounts. The ability to get a good lather with Williams means that at many locations in North America you can find a soap that is cheap and works.

Top Bottom