What's new

Looking for Fishing Gear

My sort of grandson (age 9), wants to learn how to fish. We both need gear. I gave mine away, ages ago. We're not ready for fly fishing. We live in Western Washington. I need recommendations for moderately priced startup gear, and places to fish, near Redmond.

I don't know the area well enough to give you fishing spot recommendations BUT I can tell you if you have a Bass Pro Shop close by, they have good deals sometimes.
also, as painful as it is to say this, I haven't found a place that can beat WalMart prices. After driving across my area multiple times in search of anything made domestically, I finally caved to a $20 rod and reel combo at Bass Pro

I would go to the local sporting goods store which you can find by doing a Google search on "Redmond, WA sporting goods". Then ask them what tackle to buy and where to fish.

I surf fish on the opposite coast so not much help on location or fresh water. But, if I were to go fresh water fishing again I'd look into combos from Shakespeare, Daiwa, Shimano, or Quantum. I have/had rods and reels from these companies and they have always been good to me. Shakespeare makes the Ugly Stick I believe, they aren't that bad. Stick with Spinner combos IMHO. Bait casters are a little harder to master. Tackle wise, you should have poppers for surface, cranks and buzz, and soft bait like plastic worms. Also don't forget floats (if using bait), weights, hooks, and Jig head hooks for the worms (remember to rig them Texas Style). Also most Berkly Gulp works wonders in salt water, think the fresh water works well too. I don't have a Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas by me, but I do have a Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods and they have all that stuff. Don't forget your local tackle shop can be a wealth of knowledge on spots and what works well in what lakes.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Pierce I've got a tackle box full of fishing gear (sinkers, hooks, spinners, rattlers, other lures) that rarely gets used.
PM me an address and I'll send some fishing goodies your way

I'm a big fan of Shimano and Daiwa spinning reels and Abu Garcia C3 baitcasters--Ugly Stiks for the rods---none are terribly expensive but they just plain work.

The Zebco 33 combo is tough to beat for the beginner as said before.

Top Bottom