What's new

St. Johns West Indian Lime Aftershave - Review

$image.jpg

After completing some edits of hilarious auto corrects by my iPhone, here is my full review of St. Johns West Indian Lime Aftershave

Disclaimer: Forgive me, as this is my first formal review. My terminology and grading might not be on par with previous reviews here.

SOTN:

I figure what better way to test a lime aftershave than by going all out lime...

Pre-shave ritual:
hot water brush soak
Warm shower using St Johns Lime bath soap.
Towel off and apply Musgo Real Lime Oil glycerine soap to beard

Shaving Hardware/Software:
Muhle R41 (2013) razor
Astra SP (2) blade
Vulfix Old Original pure badger brush
Edwin Jagger lathering bowl
Geo. F. Trumper Limes shaving cream

Shave technique:
3 passes on face (w,x,a)
3 passes on neck (w,a,a)

Result:
BBS

Aftershave:
St. Johns West Indian Lime aftershave

Price: $42 CAD/4oz.

Scent: Dominant of freshly cut limes with other citrus tones (oranges?). The scent of limes was pure-like but had an additional herbal side to it. A very fresh smelling aftershave that blended well with my pre-shave gear and cream.

Effectiveness: the high alcohol has good astringent properties. A bracing aftershave. Fights razor burn well.

Moisturizing: Hydrates skin well. No drying on my skin at all.

Cooling: I don't feel hardly any cooling effect. I feel somewhat of a medium warmth.

Alcohol Burn: I would rate this as very high, but I like that. I used VIBR last night and this topped it, hands down.

Presentation: Classy, hand woven glass bottle with gold topper cap and stamped label.

Lasting scent: 1 1/2 hours after my shave and still going strong. I expect maybe 3-4 hours, but will advise if different. (UPDATE: 3 hours in and sill fragrant... Hard to expect more than this in an aftershave)

Overall rating based on the above...

Price: 6
Scent: 10
Efficiency: 10
Hydration: 8
Cooling: 1
Burn: Full blown 10
Presentation: 10
Longevity : 9

PROS: Great scent(s), awesome burn, excellent performer, acceptable longevity in an aftershave (not a cologne)
CONS: High price tag

Overall Rating: 8.... The high price had me a bit unsettled and puts a ding in my rating, however it's performance and scents curbs this for me, making this an excellent aftershave. I would buy this again and I do highly recommend it to lime lovers who like a good burn. I've been indulging in this fragrance the entire time I wrote this review and plan to for the next little while.

I hope this was useful/helpful. Again, it is my first in depth review so thanks for hearing me out!

Cheers!

UPDATE: 3 hours in and still a lingering scent. At this point, my expectation and satisfaction to my review has been met, especially with regards to being just an aftershave. This isn't a cologn after all.

Last edited:
I realize they are time consuming, but thoughtful, creative, and well balanced reviews really make the Aftershaves forum shine. Keep them coming guys.

Thank you so much for this! Really - I've been right on the edge of ordering, even have an account set up with them (and the w.i. lime in my 'cart'), I just haven't been able to pull the trigger, till now. Really, a great and helpful review sir.

-s

Seems to me this aftershave deserves much more hype. For those who like to "feel the bern (burn)", this offering has to be around the top of your list. It rivals Cat O Nine Tails and others for that on fire feel. And the lime is natural and one of the longest lasting citrus scents I've tried. I love to pair it with Virgin Island Water to tone down the sweetness of the coconut. If you enjoy the burn, you really should try it; if you don't, you really shouldn't!

Great review!

A three hour stay for a lime aftershave sounds great! Will probably put this on my "get" list and give it a try.

You guys are dangerous. I just bought an 8oz jug based on this thread. Because 4oz wasn't enough...

Well, I must admit I posted in the wrong place. My post ( third one up) was actually about Geo F Trumper Indian lime aftershave splash. Man, does it "bring the sting". It actually deserves its own thread for the sting and it's lasting power!

Top Bottom