What's new

Sandalwood scents

I am receiving a bottle of Geo F. Trumper sandalwood cologne today, and I'm really excited to try it out. Sandalwood has become my favorite of the big, basic scents (I'm sure there's a word for it, but I'm talking about those scents that have been around forever and form the base notes in more complex scents, like lavender, patchouli, rose, etc.), and I'm wondering what other products I should try that aren't necessarily full-on sandalwood, but which use it as a base note. I'm talking soaps, creams, aftershaves, EdT, EdC, etc.

Enqy, next time you're in the mall, here are some you can test out...
AOS store for their sandalwood, which has eucalyptus.
Nieman's to test out Creed Santal, which is fairly straight sandalwood
Nordstrom's carries Chanel Bleu which has some sandalwood in the bottom
L'Occitane's Baux is an excellent combo of cedar with some other woods.
Otherwise, Harris' Marlborough is a 'woodsy' combo scent with a full range of products.
Enjoy!

Cartier Declaration d'un Soir-Rose, pepper, and sandalwood

HM by Hanae Mori-Lemon, rose, sandalwood

Chanel Egoiste-Spicy, floral, woody, and amber etc...Haven't tried but sounds nice.

Caswell-Massey has a very nice, dry. non-sweet sandalwood edt. Do NOT try their sandalwood soap based in reputation. They do not have an aftershave splash; may have an aftershave balm but I have not tried that. TOBS' sandalwood line is nice (edt, aftershave, cream and soap); it would satisfy your desire for a scent that has other things mixed in. D.R. Harris has a sandalwood aftershave splash which is similar to but stronger and heavier than the TOBS; and D.R. just came out with a matching shave soap and perhaps a cream.

Deforestation in pukka sandalwood forests (really) has made the authentic essential ingredient very difficult to obtain, so today's sandalwood is very different from 1950's sandalwood. Not a favorite, personally, so no recommendations.

You may have already tried some of these. I'm suggesting a few from different ends of the spectrum but bearing in mind you mentioned Sandalwood and other classic fragrance notes too, though I'm keeping in mind Sandalwood is the important one, I'd recommend:

Aramis (classic)

Aramis Devin

Ralph Lauren Polo Sport - this is my wildcard!

Issey Miyake L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme

Versace Blue Jeans - Sandalwood is in here amongst other notes

Ralph Lauren Polo Black - again, Sandalwood present with other notes

And while we've mentioned Chanel... Bleu de Chanel eau de parfum worth trying, but...

Chanel Egoiste-Spicy, floral, woody, and amber etc...Haven't tried but sounds nice.

It's really worth a try. Another vote from me. I've not long purchased a bottle and it was worth every penny. As I put on the 'appreciation thread' for it the other day, it is a joy to smell through the various stages.

Last edited:
Chanel Egoist is a must try and a another favorite of mine is Le Labo Santal 33. The La Labo is more of a pure sandalwood while it is the base along with rose for Egoist.

Thanks for all the responses guys! The Trumper arrived today and my immediate impression was that it was not as masculine or musky as I had expected. But as it settles with my body's chemistry it is starting to become more appealing to me. Nonetheless, I think I would appreciate a bit more muskiness and less sweetness. I'm curious about the Egoist, and very intrigued by the D. R. Harris Sandalwood. I have the Marlborough shaving soap and absolutely LOVE the smell of it. I might have to get the Marlborough aftershave as well (is there an EdT?). However, as I am on a Sandalwood kick right now, I think I'll satisfy that itch before I seriously consider buying another Marlborough product (my purchase plans/fantasies span many years; I'm a patient man). The way you describe the DRH Sandalwood as being heavy and strong makes it sound like the front-runner. I'm also curious about the Le Labo. I guess I should plan a trip to my least favorite place on earth (the Westfield shopping center here in SF; it has an almost exclusively high-end collection of shops including five floors of Nordstrom, so I'm sure I'll find what I want, but navigating the place and negotiating peaceably with the tourists and pushy salespeople is absolutely, unnervingly obnoxious), before the holiday shopping gets into full swing next month... Ugh! I just got a chill up my spine!

C&E Sandalwood is my favorite. It is strong and soapy, which I like. I don't like "dirty" sandalwood, which I feel like a lot of them are.

Sandalwood is also my favorite having an association with a hippy chick styled woman of my youth. Consider getting the Santal from Profumum. Better than Creed imo. Of course, you should also try and secure some of the pure oil which can still be had if you are willing to pay for it and have it shipped from India.

I wore the Trumper again today, this time with a light smattering of the Veg, and I have to say, that combo is AMAZING! It's like the two scents were made for eachother. The Veg picks up on the floral notes of the Trumper, and the sandalwood deepens the complexity of the Veg. SWMBO absolutely loved it, so I really couldn't care less how other people feel about it.

Deforestation in pukka sandalwood forests (really) has made the authentic essential ingredient very difficult to obtain, so today's sandalwood is very different from 1950's sandalwood. Not a favorite, personally, so no recommendations.

Yap. If I can recall right, the most popular one is Polisantol. Smells fine, however not so deep and complex as the real one.

There are Australian and Paraguayan sandalwoods, though.

I've tried a few sandalwood based frags. So far, my winner is AOS Sandalwood EDT. I actually really liked the Elizabeth Arden Sandalwood for men. Huge hit of lavender up front, then settles into cruise mode with sandalwood. My wife prefers AOS, so Arden had to go.

C&E Sandalwood is my favorite. It is strong and soapy, which I like. I don't like "dirty" sandalwood, which I feel like a lot of them are.

It is definitely a soapy scent. I like it. Have you tried the C&E Indian Sandalwood range yet? I find it to be similar to the previous formulation, though it is a bit different. Personally I think the cream has the noticeable differences in scent compared to the last formulation; it's certainly less strong than the previous Sandalwood they did. The aftershave balm is very nice as is the hair and body wash.

Try this....
$image.jpg

I picked up a bottle of Geo. f. Trumper Sandalwood cologne and I'm wearing it today. I really like it as a frag. Now in term of shaving soap, there's a Canadian Artisan under the name of Henri et Victoria makes a nice Sandalwood scent. In terms of post shave have D.R.H's splash and TOBs aftershave gel. I'm set for now.

Top Bottom