What's new

Walther PPK .380

Its not bad. You are not getting a great deal, but probably slightly better than the average for what you could find it for online. Depending on how old it is of course. Great gun as well.

Brand new you can get them around $575-$600, so it depends on how light the use was. It's not the deal of the century but sounds fair. You could get your money back if you decided to resell it fairly easy. I also think it's a great gun.

I have a PPK/s in 380 and a PP in 32. Great guns. Newer offerings are made from lighter materials if you want to conceal carry.

I have a PPK/s in 380 and a PP in 32. Great guns. Newer offerings are made from lighter materials if you want to conceal carry.

I have an Hungarian SMC-380 thats pretty much a PPK with an alloy frame. They even made guns for Walther at one time. It's a great lightweight carry piece, and lets me have a traditional pistol without giving up too much to the newer super fantastic plastic pocket models.

The Bersa Thunder .380 is a really nice PPK copy that can be had under $300 from just about anywhere. My brushed nickle one was right at $300.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 163
I've known two gents who've had Walther PPKs, one was a cop (mid 1980's) and he swore by his. Another owner was more recent, had a S&W built PPK and it was a jam-o-matic. It was an early example, and apparently S&W recalled a bunch of the early ones and the newer examples are better.

I've known a few folks who have that Bersa and they all like it a lot. It's not a PPK clone, mechanics are different and it's not as nice in the finish department as a Walther. It's alloy framed so it's lighter to carry, and much lighter on the wallet when you buy it.

If you want "the James Bond gun" then get a Walther. If you want the best bang for the buck get the Bersa.

I got my SMC-380 for cheap and like it a lot as a easy carry gun, but it's not much fun to shoot at the range...the Bersa I tried was more shootable from a comfort standpoint, less perceived recoil and didn't bite the hand as much. I'd say it was downright pleasant compared to my PPK copy.

I've known two gents who've had Walther PPKs, one was a cop (mid 1980's) and he swore by his. Another owner was more recent, had a S&W built PPK and it was a jam-o-matic. It was an early example, and apparently S&W recalled a bunch of the early ones and the newer examples are better.

I've known a few folks who have that Bersa and they all like it a lot. It's not a PPK clone, mechanics are different and it's not as nice in the finish department as a Walther. It's alloy framed so it's lighter to carry, and much lighter on the wallet when you buy it.

If you want "the James Bond gun" then get a Walther. If you want the best bang for the buck get the Bersa.

I got my SMC-380 for cheap and like it a lot as a easy carry gun, but it's not much fun to shoot at the range...the Bersa I tried was more shootable from a comfort standpoint, less perceived recoil and didn't bite the hand as much. I'd say it was downright pleasant compared to my PPK copy.
At the time I purchased my Bersa, I started out looking for a Walther. This was about two years ago and I kept seeing owner reviews talking about the occasional FTE with the PPK. I also kept coming across rave reviews about the Bersa, I already had one of their HC 9mm pistols and (still) have never had an issue with it. So long story short, I couldn't justify the extra $250.00 just to say I finally had James Bonds gun. I'm very accurate with all my guns, but that .380 feels like an extension of my arm when shooting. Very comfortable, and very fun. The Walther could be even more so, I certainly didn't intend to hi-jack the thread, but if you get the chance to do a shooting comparison I'd take it.

It's not really about having James Bond's gun. My wife saw a PPK on consignment at the range and liked the the shape and size, she didn't know it was 007's weapon of choice. I've showed her the Bersa, it's just going to take some fiddling with the system to get it to California.

... Newer offerings are made from lighter materials if you want to conceal carry.
+1. The PPK is a legend, but it's seriously out of date, if you want to CC. I have a Kel-tec P3AT (the original polymer .380 and still the smallest and lightest) and a Ruger LCP. My LCP was the first gen and inferior to the KT in terms of sight and trigger action. Newer versions have improved in that area and are comparable to the KT. Fit, finish and ergonomics of the LCP are superior to the KT, but I still prefer the KT because it is a tiny bit smaller and lighter, and for me, minimal size and weight are paramount considerations for a CCW weapon. YMMV.

No, the James Bond thing was seriously my reason for always wanting the Walther. I wouldn't presume anyone else has the same mental hang ups as myself. :laugh:

No, the James Bond thing was seriously my reason for always wanting the Walther. I wouldn't presume anyone else has the same mental hang ups as myself. :laugh:

Oh don't worry, for me it's about James Bond too, but my wife couldn't care less.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
she didn't know it was 007's weapon of choice.

Au contraire, a Beretta 418 in .25 acp was Bond's weapon of choice. The PPK in .32 acp was forced on him by M.

Nope, you're the only one that thinks that way. Bond had nothing to do with it when I got a Walther TPH. :lol:

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom