What's new

Feather vs. Permasharp

I have been comparing them for a while to decide which one to buy in bulk. I have liked them both, both blades give me a full BBS. I have been using them in a FaTip Piccollo with Proraso Green. This is what I have experienced:

Feather pros:
- Very sharp.
- Lasts for 10+ shaves.
- No irritations, redness or razorburns (even people claim this I did not experience it).
- Despite a lot of people avoid them and spread horror stories about it, I couldn't believe it at all. This razor gets blaimed for something it isn't. So I find this blade pretty forgiving.

Feather cons:
- Expensive compared to PermaSharp.
- Can be a little bit rough.

Permasharp pros:
- Very sharp.
- Super smooth.
- Lasts for 8 shaves.
- No irritations, redness or razorburns.
- Cheaper compared to Feather.
- BBS with two passes.

Permasharp cons:
- None.

Just in case anyone wondered from where I'll get my PermaSharps this is the cheapest store I could find:
http://www.bestshave.net/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&products_id=103

For me perma sharp wins.
I think feathers are sharper and very confortable but i get a BBS from PS with less work.
PS are cheaper.
Both are confortable, both irritation free.
With feather is easier to cut yourself IMHO.

Both excellent blades but i prefer Perma sharp.

You just woke me up. I haven't used a Perma-Sharp in some time. That will be my next blade - they are wonderful. Thanks!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm now wishing I had bought 100 Perma Sharp Supers instead of 100 Feather. They really are a fantastic blade.

I have three shaves on a Feather blade and it hasnt smoothed out yet.

Permasharp fan.
These are excellent blades! Great combination of super sharp and smooth along with being forgiving. Right up there with Feather blades in sharpness, but last for 5-6 three pass shaves for me unlike Feather Blades where I can only get 2 shaves out of them.

Same. Feather is super sharp for exactly one beard and head shave, Permasharp two or three.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I bought a tuck of Perma Sharp to try. My first blade was wicked sharp but not smooth. I felt like it was rough as an old Ulster County back road. Did not smooth out and after three days, I binned blade one. I will try it again but PS is not for me at the moment. One blade does not qualify as a good trial so I will go at it again. Feather only goes 3 runs for me but they are a gold standard blade. Gillette 7OC Yellow are Feather sharp and lasts me 4 to 5 shaves per blade and they are less costlier than Feather.

First shave with blade 2 of my tuck of PSs. The shave was sublime. Rough for a stroke or two then was nice. Slim set on 3 then 4 it mowed down my facial lawn with ease. Perhaps I knew what to perceive? I was clearly amazed. As I said before, one blade a trial does not make.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As I said before, one blade a trial does not make.

Noted, and I would probably agree if it wasn't for how much longer that takes to get results :p

I have over a dozen blades queued up to try out, and I'm getting between 10 and 20 shaves with them. One went to 32. If I do a one blade trial for each, that's 24-26 weeks for results if I assume a fortnight each. A two blade trial would take a year. I'll stick to one blade, I can always change my mind later ;)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm now wishing I had bought 100 Perma Sharp Supers instead of 100 Feather. They really are a fantastic blade.

I have three shaves on a Feather blade and it hasnt smoothed out yet.
I'm experimenting with corking my first blade, a lot of feather blade owners like the blade but do not enjoy the 1st shave so they tend to cork. Some have tried it on Derbys and they like it so I have a few blades that the first shave is not the best and i will cork them.Results unknown yet. Here is a link that is full of opinions and humor- made me laugh anyways.Corking blades

Had my second shave with the second blade of Perma Sharp. Another beauty of a shave. Smooth, sharp and mowed down my stubbs like a hot knife through butter. May have to buy some more at Pasteur. I had my Slim on 4 with no issues. Folks on here love this blade and I can see why. It seems a tad sharper than 7OCLOCK Yellow Russians and seem to be sharper on the second day more so than the Yellows. Feather is a great blade. These are less expensive and may have longevity too. If it is still sharp on day three and four, it beats Feather at least on this mans facha. So far I have tried all the Russian blades except Sputnik, Astra SS and Gillette Platinum. I did use the latter several years ago and want to try these again.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm experimenting with corking my first blade, a lot of feather blade owners like the blade but do not enjoy the 1st shave so they tend to cork. Some have tried it on Derbys and they like it so I have a few blades that the first shave is not the best and i will cork them.Results unknown yet. Here is a link that is full of opinions and humor- made me laugh anyways.Corking blades

The first shave with a Feather was always my best, but they fell off quickly after that. I've never used one past 5 and should have stopped at 4.

Top Bottom