What's new

Feathers won’t kill you, they can be great

Yes. The only razor I won't use them in is my old style Gillette (old design before they had thin blades) which is crazy aggressive with modern blades. But that is more of a collector and not a frequent shaver.

Pass, I'm not paying $36 for 100 and have to shave tomorrow when I can get BBS out of something else for a 1/3 of the price while not taking my face off.

To me, this is the main reason not to use Feather blades. OK, they are sharp. But what exactly does that mean?

I have shaved with fifty different blades thus far this year. All of which have been sufficiently sharp to shave my face with.

If manufactures did not make razor blades that were sufficiently sharp enough to shave with, who would buy them?

There are plenty of excellent DE blades on the market and 98% of them can be bought for $20 or less per-hundred. That is half the price of Feather blades.

Gillette Perma-Sharp are only $9.50 per-hundred and give excellent shaves.

Because of the Gillette PPI factory being in Russia, prices are not stable as they have been in the past, where most quality Gillette DE blades were priced between $10 and $15 per-hundred.

I am fine with Feather blades, I just don't see anything exceptional about them. As specially at their inflated prices?

Personally, I find a significant difference between the Feather and everything else, especially when used in an aggressive razor.
The difference is most noticeable when I get to the thicker beard areas. For me it's the mustache and chin, the hair is too wirey there. When I shave the Feather, it just takes it all off very easily in a few strokes, whereas on the rest I get a tugging and difficulty feeling, which is not very pleasant.
As for the price. At the right time, they can be picked up from the right place, at a price of 44$ for 200 pieces, that is, 22$ for 100. This price is similar to all other blades of rather questionable quality, due to the new locations of the factories where they are made.

As for the price. At the right time, they can be picked up from the right place, at a price of 44$ for 200 pieces, that is, 22$ for 100. This price is similar to all other blades of rather questionable quality, due to the new locations of the factories where they are made.

I have picked up some before for around $27/hundred.

Checking yesterday, they were at $49/hundred on Amazon.

proxy.php

In comparison, the best price seems to be these blades. Amazon has them for 3¢ each in quantities of 1,000.

Gisafai 1000 Count Double Edge Razor Blade Men's Safety Razor Blades Stainless Steel Platinum Coated Blades for Men a Smooth and Clean Shave

How good are they? Haven't a clue? The price even beats the Dorco's.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Feathers are my blade of choice. I do lean towards milder razors, but not always. I somehow manage not to disfigure myself when I shave with a Feather in an aggressive razor. I find it strange that folks are afraid of them. Razor blades are supposed to be sharp. Poor technique or a lapse in attention will result in a nick regardless of the blade your using. The price hounds also confound me. Even if you're a one and done you might save three bucks a month. I don't mean to make light of anyone's financial situation, many of us pinch pennies, but come on now that $36 bucks a year isn't what's breaking the bank. YMMV.

I have picked up some before for around $27/hundred.

Checking yesterday, they were at $49/hundred on Amazon.

proxy.php

In comparison, the best price seems to be these blades. Amazon has them for 3¢ each in quantities of 1,000.

Gisafai 1000 Count Double Edge Razor Blade Men's Safety Razor Blades Stainless Steel Platinum Coated Blades for Men a Smooth and Clean Shave

How good are they? Haven't a clue? The price even beats the Dorco's.
By right time I mean Black Friday and by right place rasoigoodfellas. The aforementioned price, roped a month ago.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Feathers are pretty consistently a horrible choice for beginners. With more frequency than I prefer a new shaver will post a picture of his bloody face after using a Feather - before his technique has settled in.

Personally, I think they're fine blades. I've never had a weeper from a Feather - although I readily admit I am more careful when I use them. I get two good shaves from a Feather, occasionally three with a good one. The price and poor longevity keep them off my "use all the time" list. Mercifully, a PolSilver SI is sharp enough for my beard.

And I still insist it's a poor choice for beginners.

Feather is the sharpest and has the most consistent quality. If the purpose is to cut then obviously sharpest thing is best thing.
The best sharp thing holder is the one that one that makes the sharp thing safest and easiest to use.
Feathers ASD2 is truly amazing, but so is Tatara. Mild razor and sharp blade is best combo. Imho.

Attachments

• 20230421_223026.jpg
    20230421_223026.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I LOVE Feathers in my Merkur Progress, but don't enjoy them in my other DE's.

In my case the Progress puts the most bend into the blade of my razors and results in more of a scything cut...maybe.

They're also able to log 1-2 more shaves in my Progress vs the other DE's as well.

A shaggy dog story about Feathers.

Feathers were pretty much all I used for many years. The past 18 months I have been branching out, trying to find other (cheaper) blades I can get along with and use in more aggressive razors.

However, the past couple of weeks I have been suffering discomfort and a build up of irritation on my left-hand jawline, whilst struggling to get it really clean. I put this down to a changing beard (lots of grey coming in rapidly now) and sloppy technique. Yet no matter how much care I took, I seemed unable to avoid gradually creating further irritation in that area, which unfortunately sports some flat-growing hairs that cannot be reduced much by just WTG/XTG passes.

So, yesterday instead of lathering that area for my ATG pass, I decided to rely on residual slickness and get right up next to the mirror so I could see what was going on. Sure enough, I saw some hairs were snagging on the blade and then pulling the skin taught for several millimetres, before the mounting pressure finally made a cut. No wonder there was persistent follicle irritation that wouldn't go away!

Today, I loaded a Feather in the razor.

What a difference! The Feather scythed through those wiry suckers like a hot knife through butter. Not only that, but I ended up with one of the closest DE shaves I have had in a while - close to BBS. One weeper, which is unusual for me, but it has probably been a year since I last shaved with a Feather so I wasn't respecting it as much as I should have!

It's going to take a while for that build up of irritation to settle, but this is the first time in a couple of weeks that I have been able to get the jaw area marble smooth with a DE and not felt like I was making the situation worse. I am pretty confident that if I stick to the Feathers, those angry follicles will gradually settle down.

So, I guess I am back on the Feathers...and have several hundred other blades I might not use after all!

🪶🪶🪶FEATHER🪶🪶🪶

When you absolutely, positively have to annhilate troublesome whiskers, accept no substitues!

Feathers are great. I was apprehensive about them at first, based on reputation. But after trying them, I found them to be very sharp, but smooth and efficient. I only like milder razors, and they work perfectly in them. They are for sure awesome in Techs, but as to which razor they were made for..... that would be the Feather AS-D2, and they reign supreme. The combination of a super sharp blade and a mild razor, really helps get optimal usage out of them. My record with a Feather blade is 131 shaves.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Feathers are great. I was apprehensive about them at first, based on reputation. But after trying them, I found them to be very sharp, but smooth and efficient. I only like milder razors, and they work perfectly in them. They are for sure awesome in Techs, but as to which razor they were made for..... that would be the Feather AS-D2, and they reign supreme. The combination of a super sharp blade and a mild razor, really helps get optimal usage out of them. My record with a Feather blade is 131 shaves.
Let’s see that peach fuzz beard of yours …:)

My first DE was a Feather and it came with Feather blades. This was back when I was still blind shaving in the shower with whatever soap or body wash I had. I'd just lather it in my hands and then apply to face and shaved by feel. This was like 14? years ago now, maybe more. I have since sunk (slithered?) down the rabbit hole into various soaps/blades/razors/brushes.

Feathers remain at/near the top of my blade preference. They have been consistent over the years unlike some other brands I have enjoyed then less so the next pack of tucks. I buy Feather's in 200ct sleeves from barber supply shops usually in the mid/high $40s to low $50s.

Feather, Nacet, Kai and Personna Labs are my known performers. Astra SP's were in there till the India swap. Need to use them more to decide where they fall but so far no complaints, maybe less longevity but need to review my notes and log.

Feathers are great. My record with a Feather blade is 131 shaves.

I use 6, 12, and 20 sided dice to keep track of my blades. The 20s are for AC and GEM blades. 12s are for known blades that typically last more than a week and I start w/ a 6 sided dice for new blades and swap to a 12 if it holds up that long. Black Beauties which I enjoy are one and done.

Because of price I would think FEATHER is brand people would counterfeit frequently. JMHO

Beware if a deal is too good.

I have not been able to find them cheaper than $0.23 a blade. Maybe if I ordered a few thousand but for regular orders that’s the best I can find.

I dunno, to me a blade is a blade, so this thread has inspired me to dig out a Feather (which I may have tried once or twice in the past) and give one a go. I generally go 5-6 shaves on a blade so that will be my target.

Addressing the theme of the thread:

I fear no blade, though I have a couple of unopened tucks of Kai blades, which give me pause knowing they increase blade exposure. 😄😄😄

Maybe I'll try one of those next (after the Feather).

I bought Feathers. I shaved my "No Shave November" beard with it and it was awesome. I had so much fun with it. I am still using the same blade. I lost count, but I think I am on shave 4 or 5 with it. I have a little bit of tugging, but not sure if that was a shaving cream issue or a blade issue.

I'm new to this. In my old DE razor, I didn't really count my shaves with a razor. I would throw it out when I felt that it wasn't really shaving well or I had thick growth. It was more of a gut feeling than an art or science. I wouldn't be surprised if I used a blade 15 times before throwing it out.

To get to the point, what am I looking for with these Feathers? How do I know I used it to its expiration? My last shave I did three passes, but it didn't seem as close as my shave before, but it was still a very close shave.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I bought Feathers. I shaved my "No Shave November" beard with it and it was awesome. I had so much fun with it. I am still using the same blade. I lost count, but I think I am on shave 4 or 5 with it. I have a little bit of tugging, but not sure if that was a shaving cream issue or a blade issue.

I'm new to this. In my old DE razor, I didn't really count my shaves with a razor. I would throw it out when I felt that it wasn't really shaving well or I had thick growth. It was more of a gut feeling than an art or science. I wouldn't be surprised if I used a blade 15 times before throwing it out.

To get to the point, what am I looking for with these Feathers? How do I know I used it to its expiration? My last shave I did three passes, but it didn't seem as close as my shave before, but it was still a very close shave.
‘You’re here’, says Boo Boo.
1703178588747.gif

Top Bottom