What's new

Dip Pens? kinda stumbled onto this one.

Hey guys, looking to tap your vast kegs of knowledge again. after getting a large box of ink samples from Goulet yesterday, I was at a loss for testing them all out without having to ink up a pen 16 times. SWMBO said that her dad had something that might help. she came back with this: $20141011_210041.jpgnow I know that FP inks are not ideal for use with a dip pen, that much i have picked up by osmosis around here. but all in all it did a pretty good job of getting the ink on the page. any info you guys have about this one? anything special about it or just a standard run of the mill etc... also, I'm not sure if it was dropped nib down or something as the very tip is turned up a bit. its really even but kinda scratchy. I think I'm mainly talking to you James, as from what I have seen around here you have had the best knowledge of these things. here are some images of the tip. these are the best I could do what a celly:
$20141011_210021.jpg$20141011_210015.jpg$20141011_210005.jpg
thanks for you help guys. you have made this new hobby tons of fun for me. especially someone mostly ashamed of his hand writing. I'm already seeing improvements!

Take care all.

dip nibs are not tipped like FPs... they will be scratchy until you tech yourself a very light touch, even the weight of the pen is to much, takes a bit getting used to but if you can get it they are nice to write with.

as for what that nib is, tough to say, that shape is a common one, so if there is no markings, i wouldn't be able to tell the difference

does it flex ?

dip nibs are not tipped like FPs... they will be scratchy until you tech yourself a very light touch, even the weight of the pen is to much, takes a bit getting used to but if you can get it they are nice to write with.

as for what that nib is, tough to say, that shape is a common one, so if there is no markings, i wouldn't be able to tell the difference

does it flex ?
I want one now. :)
Hey guys, looking to tap your vast kegs of knowledge again. after getting a large box of ink samples from Goulet yesterday, I was at a loss for testing them all out without having to ink up a pen 16 times. SWMBO said that her dad had something that might help. she came back with this:View attachment 506585now I know that FP inks are not ideal for use with a dip pen, that much i have picked up by osmosis around here. but all in all it did a pretty good job of getting the ink on the page. any info you guys have about this one? anything special about it or just a standard run of the mill etc... also, I'm not sure if it was dropped nib down or something as the very tip is turned up a bit. its really even but kinda scratchy. I think I'm mainly talking to you James, as from what I have seen around here you have had the best knowledge of these things. here are some images of the tip. these are the best I could do what a celly:
View attachment 506589View attachment 506590View attachment 506591
thanks for you help guys. you have made this new hobby tons of fun for me. especially someone mostly ashamed of his hand writing. I'm already seeing improvements!

Take care all.

does it flex ?

Yes, quite a bit more than my pens, although those are just cheap Chinese pens. the dip pen flexes quite a bit actually, but definitely not under its own weight, I have to push down a bit. after reading what you said about markings, I looked a little closer. right at the base of the nib where it meets the holder it says "513 E.F.". I'm guessing the "E.F." means Extra Fine, but I haven't a clue what the number stands for. as for the holder, there are no markings on it that I can see, but it is very well crafted and feels wonderful in the hand. I hope some day I can find a FP with a section that feels this good to hold. just write for my hands. Here are some better pictures of the markings:

$20141011_223657.jpg$20141011_223717.jpg

Last edited:
I have used dip pens to sample inks in the past as well, but you're correct they don't hold regular FP ink very well. However, just to test a color, they do a great job. Now, regarding your dip pen nib, it does appear to have a turned up point. I have one that is even more turned up than yours. It helps reduce the "scratchiness" that you described.

James is right, they're all a bit scratchy because they aren't tipped, but my nib with the tip turned up is a little less scratchy. Can you pull the nib out of the holder? It appears to have some numbers on the end. I'm wondering if the name of the nib manufacturer will also be on the end that is pushed into the nib holder.

Sorry to break in on the thread but I do have some dip pens and a search for "dip pen inks" drew a blank. So I'd like a little more information on that subject if that's possible.

Sorry to break in on the thread but I do have some dip pens and a search for "dip pen inks" drew a blank. So I'd like a little more information on that subject if that's possible.
No worries, I'm interested in that too. The only thing I know is that India ink is commonly used with dip pens, but that's all I got. I know they have to be more viscous so as to stay on the nib longer than standard FP inks. A couple threads down Syngent has a review of some McCaffreys dip ink I believe. That should give you some info. I think instead of googling "dip pen ink" ( which seems reasonable) you might try "India ink". That officially constitutes my knowledge of dip pens and their inks.

. Can you pull the nib out of the holder? It appears to have some numbers on the end. I'm wondering if the name of the nib manufacturer will also be on the end that is pushed into the nib holder.
i have tried, but with no success. The numbers are 513 followed by EF, which I'm guessing is EXTRA FINE. Looking into the hole that is left it looks pretty corroded, so that may be it. This doesn't belong to me, so I would hat to ruin it just to satisfy my curiosity. I may go a little further IF I did own it, but alas, I do not.

Looks like a Hunt 513 EF to me, it even has the slight upturn on the tip. Try soaking both the holder and nib in soapy warm water to loosen it up

Top Bottom