What's new

Fools Pass?

Okay, so I tried a fools pass today. I saw a guy do it on youtube a couple of months back and its been nagging at me to give it a go. I was slightly worried about nose-reallignment (as a member called it) but it worked and worked well. I was using a modest Becker 5/8 from the stable and I got a great shave. Surprisingly easy to pull off. Not something I'll do every shave but got a great result. Does anyone else use this technique and if so, do you have any tips....apart from don't sneeze:lol:

I do it if the razor is sharp enough and if I feel like doing it. I always wear shoes when I shave, in case I should drop the razor. Before the fool's pass, I make sure that my shoes are dry and that the footing is secure (I always kick the bathroom rug to the side), and that there's no water or lather on the floor. Then, I lean over the sink and hold both ends of the blade. Last time, I tried a bit of a guillotine stroke. Very exciting.

I have thought about what would happen if there were an earthquake during the fool's pass. It wouldn't be pretty.

Now you've got me worried about the earthquake thing. We have them so often here in NZ that we hardly notice them anymore. A 5+ on the richter (had one a day or so ago) would definitely affect the shaving experience. lol

I do it if the razor is sharp enough and if I feel like doing it. I always wear shoes when I shave, in case I should drop the razor. Before the fool's pass, I make sure that my shoes are dry and that the footing is secure (I always kick the bathroom rug to the side), and that there's no water or lather on the floor. Then, I lean over the sink and hold both ends of the blade. Last time, I tried a bit of a guillotine stroke. Very exciting.

I have thought about what would happen if there were an earthquake during the fool's pass. It wouldn't be pretty.

I do it when I go against the grain which is most shaves. The razor has to be good and sharp, and take my time. I was nervous the first time, but the more I do it the more normal it is.

I've been doing the fool's pass since I first started using a straight razor and never had a problem because I always used very little pressure and kept both hands on the blade at all times. The only time I ever remember cutting any part of my nose was once on a downstroke WTG, when I shouldn't have had the razor that high in the first place. The cut was really small and unnoticeable the next day

Okay I'm had to try it, yah I'm a lemming. My mustache must be made like a spike strip. Hairnmust grown straight down. The blade just wants to stop right up. It isn't that my blade isn't sharp, it was a newly honed one from Heesoo.

I'll do it to get more practice time in. I straighten out the scales and hold it, like a kami, with one hand while the other stretches a little. It's not that hard, I find, with a straight when you take many short light strokes.

Every shave, every day.

. . . my nose is not what it once was; that's a good thing. lol

Last edited:
Once in a while when I want to give a middle finger to the fates and pretend I live without fear.

In other words, about twice a year.

Okay I'm had to try it, yah I'm a lemming. My mustache must be made like a spike strip. Hairnmust grown straight down. The blade just wants to stop right up. It isn't that my blade isn't sharp, it was a newly honed one from Heesoo.

It gets easier with practice. Keep the spine of the razor on your lip as you use two hands on the blade. This guy makes it look easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r24ar_SfSGVo

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Now you've got me worried about the earthquake thing. We have them so often here in NZ that we hardly notice them anymore. A 5+ on the richter (had one a day or so ago) would definitely affect the shaving experience. lol
I have been mid shave when a strong quake hit a few years ago. No worries, just stop when you first fell it and start again when the quake stops.

Only a fellow Kiwi would give that kind of advice. I was in Wellington at a conference when that last big one hit the capital. This Irish girl dove under a table while the building was shaking and she was crying and saying "oh my god oh my god" while the rest of us were standing around waiting for the quake to stop and carrying on our conversations. Sometimes I think we're a bit too laid back eh?

I have been mid shave when a strong quake hit a few years ago. No worries, just stop when you first fell it and start again when the quake stops.

I live in Los Angeles, USA, and we have earthquakes all the time, too. I have been living here for 12 years and they have only ever been strong enough to wake me up or make a few picture frames move while not even making them fall off the wall or table. Nowadays, I look forward to the next small earthquake because it's a nice little rush

Yeah, I have that same situation. What I find works well is an upward pass at about 30 or 40 degrees from the vertical; in other words, not straight up but up from the edge of the mustache area toward the center of the face. That will take most of the hair and then a straight- up fools' pass is easy.

I find the fools' pass really tests both the razor and the lather. The edge really does need to be quite keen, and the slicker the lather the better.

Brian

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Only a fellow Kiwi would give that kind of advice. I was in Wellington at a conference when that last big one hit the capital. This Irish girl dove under a table while the building was shaking and she was crying and saying "oh my god oh my god" while the rest of us were standing around waiting for the quake to stop and carrying on our conversations. Sometimes I think we're a bit too laid back eh?
Yes we can be a bit laid back for sure but as I live in Wellington which is on a faultline earthquakes are just something you get use to.
There was many aftershocks here after the last sizable quake, so I went into my morning shaves thinking of what if (stop looking at Geonet is a good move).
Still used the straight daily as life just rolls on.

Last edited:
Awesome. I go to LA for a couple of weeks most years. Just got back from my last trip in July and have already booked my tickets for August next year. Girlfriend likes....no......loves....no.....is obsessed with Disneyland so we go all the time. Last time was a month and I swear if I saw Mickey Mouse one more time I'd have cracked for sure. I've never felt a quake overseas yet but I heard that LA gets a decent amount of them. I try to get a bit of time out in Santa Monica and Venice Beach but we always end up in Annaheim for the bulk of the time. Do you have any tips on where I should look if I wanted to pick up some straights or shaving related gear on my next trip?

I live in Los Angeles, USA, and we have earthquakes all the time, too. I have been living here for 12 years and they have only ever been strong enough to wake me up or make a few picture frames move while not even making them fall off the wall or table. Nowadays, I look forward to the next small earthquake because it's a nice little rush

Top Bottom