What's new

Bitters

Tonight I'm trying: hendricks, heavy dose of peychauds, splash of ginger syrup, celery soda on the rocks. The bitters really mellow out the Hendricks. Refreshing.

I have Peychauds and Agnostura and like both. I most commonly use them in soda water. It's lovely. It can settle a stomach too.

I drink two cocktails a night - both bourbon old-fashioneds. My go-to bitters are Fee Brothers (now labeled "Aromatic Bitters" but formerly labeled "Agnostora Bitters" - yes, I've been using them for that long - and if they are a different formulation I can't tell the difference). They are wonderful and, to me, very reminiscent of the flavor of a white gumdrop candy that I enjoyed as a child. They make wonderful old-fanshioned cocktails.

Chris

If you can find them, Bitter Truth bitters are terrific. My two favorites are the Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter Bitters and the lemon bitters.

The Jerry Thomas' bitters are warm with cardamom, clove, and... works great in rum and whiskey drinks. I can say that much with certainty.

The lemon bitters give a subtle brightness to the Martini and Gin & Tonic. It is not like sucking on a lemon in any way.

I'd love to try their tonic bitters, but no one seems to have them in my area.

actually i was thinkin today,how much bourbon(or rye whiskey)do you actually use for an old fashioned alot of the recipes ive looked at it seems like you dont really use that much bourbon.or is that why "old fashioned" glasses look smaller then regular glasses

I use the recommended suggested sugar, bitters, and an orange slice (yes I know true old fashions don't) but the bourbon I do too taste depending on which I use. I still prefer Makers Mark and Gentleman Jack.

actually i was thinkin today,how much bourbon(or rye whiskey)do you actually use for an old fashioned alot of the recipes ive looked at it seems like you dont really use that much bourbon.or is that why "old fashioned" glasses look smaller then regular glasses

most recipes are probably 1.5 to 2 ounces. But if you've got a big glass, why not make a double?

Most bartending recipes are easily scalable to make more than one (or a double) -- which is why you often hear about 2 parts this, 1 part that, etc. instead of oz amounts.

Asking for a standard recipe for an Old Fashioned, Martini or other traditional drinks will get you as many recipes as people offering them. But here's a start (shamelessly stolen from Esquire):

1 sugar cube
3 dashes Angostura bitters
club soda
2 ounces rye whisky

Glass Type: old-fashioned glass

Place the sugar cube (or 1/2 teaspoon loose sugar) in an Old-Fashioned glass. Wet it down with 3 dashes of Angostura bitters and a short splash of water or club soda. Crush the sugar with a wooden muddler, spoon, lipstick, cartridge case, whatever. Rotate the glass so that the sugar grains and bitters give it a lining. Add a large ice cube. Pour in the rye. Stir and serve.

Notice there's no fruit. That's a thread all on its own. (And I think there's another thread about Old Fashioned and Manhattan recipes.)
Edit: HERE it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom