What's new

Proraso Red Sandalwood.

This is got to be the worse scented cream I have...
My first delivery in wet-shaving was a Merkur Classic long Handle , Escali Brush , and TOBS Sandalwood....

When I opened the TOBS , I was in heaven...the scent was great and it lasted the whole day..it blew me away

So 3-4 months later ,I decided to get Proraso Red because I like thier product and I like sandalwood ....

Boy was I mistaken!! This is no way near TOBS and not only that , the smell was terrible...

This will be in the back of my rotation , for sure......:angry:

Anyone else has comments?

Mike

Is it because it was not as strong scent as TOBS? I am not much for strong scents. Proraso red is what I want to try next.

Only having tried the Proraso Red, I can not judge it against other Sandalwood soaps. I quite like the scent of Proraso and it is at the top of my rotation. YMMV

In my short time wet-shaving I've discovered that the sandalwood scent varies greatly across all the different soaps/creams available. It could be in your case the TOBS scent was your first experience and a pleasant one at that. For me Edwin Jagger Sandalwood soap was my first exposure to sandalwood, subsequently I've tried a couple different sandalwood soaps and cream including Proraso and none of them seem to be as appealing as EJ even though shave-wise they perform better. TOBS is on my list of soaps to try next, looking forward to it.

This is got to be the worse scented cream I have...
My first delivery in wet-shaving was a Merkur Classic long Handle , Escali Brush , and TOBS Sandalwood....

When I opened the TOBS , I was in heaven...the scent was great and it lasted the whole day..it blew me away

So 3-4 months later ,I decided to get Proraso Red because I like thier product and I like sandalwood ....

Boy was I mistaken!! This is no way near TOBS and not only that , the smell was terrible...

This will be in the back of my rotation , for sure......:angry:

Anyone else has comments?

Mike

Did you actually use it, or just smell it? I'm not trying to crack wise; I ask because I bought some in the red tub and when I opened it, I too was quite put off. But upon lathering, it changed in to something quite nice.

Did you actually use it, or just smell it? I'm not trying to crack wise; I ask because I bought some in the red tub and when I opened it, I too was quite put off. But upon lathering, it changed in to something quite nice.

I did use it a few times....It did shave well...but I guess I set the bar too high with sandalwood soaps by getting TOBS first...
The scent wasn't even close...its just another good scentless soap...

I consider this just another "Ivory" type soap along with my:
C.O.Bigelow
Proraso Green
Arko
Real Shaving Co
Nivea
& now Proraso Red

The scented soaps I do have is....
Sterling Ozark Mountain
TOBS
& coming in today...Soap Commander brand

Its nice to once in a while have a scented soap to change things up

Mike

Hey Chris...I thought you sounded familiar...Still enjoying the Whipped Dog...:thumbup:

Last edited:
I've tried proraso red, and while I wasn't a big fan, I definitely wouldn't call it scentless. I thought it had a pretty pronounced smell. It just didn't have the same depth as many other sandalwood examples.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Sandalwood fragrance in Proraso Red is very different from most UK Sandalwood soaps and creams. That said I find the Sandalwood scent in Proraso to be the most authentic and faithful Sandalwood I've ever smelled, even if I'm not a huge fan of Sandalwood - but this is another matter. In terms of performance I think the Red is very good, but I don't like it as much as my beloved Ever-Green.

This is certainly the first time I ever heard anyone call Arko scentless.... :)

I have and have used both TOBS and Proraso sandalwood and I agree they are very different. That said, I find Proraso is the only one (I have several sandalwood soaps / cremes) that has a scent that lasts beyond the shave. I like both scents although they are different, but Proraso actually has sandalwood in it while TOBS does not and that makes me thing Proraso would be the more accurate sandalwood. I think TOBS works better as a shaving creme though although I do tend to use a lot of it per shave.

Brian

I did use it a few times....It did shave well...but I guess I set the bar too high with sandalwood soaps by getting TOBS first...

C.O.Bigelow
Proraso Green
Arko
Real Shaving Co
Nivea
& now Proraso Red

Sterling Ozark Mountain
TOBS

Mike

Hey Chris...I thought you sounded familiar...Still enjoying the Whipped Dog...:thumbup:

C.O.Bigelow
Proraso Green
Arko
Real Shaving Co
Nivea
& now Proraso Red

Sterling Ozark Mountain
TOBS

Mike

Glad it's working for you, Mike!

I'm a Proraso Red user. It's in my rotation and gets used regularly. I've had several sandalwood fragranced products (still have to try TOBS sandalwood) and Proraso is one of my favourite. I like the earthy scent and the excellent performance of the soap. It's not my favourite in its scent category, but looking at the big picture, it's a top product, IMHO.

I've been holding off on trying TOBS Sandalwood...but this thread has me tempted...

The Sandalwood fragrance in Proraso Red is very different from most UK Sandalwood soaps and creams. That said I find the Sandalwood scent in Proraso to be the most authentic and faithful Sandalwood I've ever smelled, even if I'm not a huge fan of Sandalwood - but this is another matter. In terms of performance I think the Red is very good, but I don't like it as much as my beloved Ever-Green.

This.

I actually have real Sandalwood EO from India which I use occasionally. It's a scent I love. The Proraso Red has some of that in it, but with an earthier "wet leaf" scent which I really like. I also bought the TOBS Sandalwood and gave it away almost immediately. Of the two, the Proraso is much more like real sandalwood, but that's no reason for you to like it. If you enjoy the other scent more, that's perfectly justifiable.

I agree: I think the fragrance is pretty bad. However, I think Tabac is noticeably worse. JMO. However, both create superb lather.

I agree. I think the performance is excellent, but I find the scent just horrible. I'll happily use the cream, based on its overall quality, but I certainly don't miss that smell after the shave...

I don't know why people get so worked up over scents sometimes? I love the Red, and to me anyway the scent is so subtle and it goes away right after you shave anyway. When scent matters (to me), it's the after shave.

"eye" of the beholder, I guess. Proraso sandalwood is one of my favorites, and I'm put off by the patchouli in TOBS! You can all your Proraso to me :)

Oh and try Art of Shaving - at least a sample from the store if you don't want to commit to $25 a tub.

I would admit, It took me about half a can before I was able to get used to the scent. Now, I don't mind it at all. Gotta love the performance of Proraso products.

I use Proraso Red and I love the scent and performance. To me, the scent is woody and earthy. Pro Red is a great fall scented cream.

I use Proraso Red and I love the scent and performance. To me, the scent is woody and earthy. Pro Red is a great fall scented cream.
That's why they make chocolate and vanilla, Ford and Chevy, Red and Green (and White!)... To me, it smells like cheap perfume. OTOH, I love the smell of Cella, and some people are reviled by it. One of the ultimate YMMV's.

So far I've tried only Parker Sandalwood and Proraso Red Tube.The second is closer to my heart. My next purchase will be TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream for comparision to previous products.

Top Bottom