What's new

Can anyone recommend a good seller of vintage razors?

When I returned to DE shaving the beginning of the year, all I knew was that I wanted to shave with the razor I had started with as a yoot, a Gillette adjustable 195. I looked around and found that these are now called Fatboys and cost the earth.

Hmm. More research, including hundreds of completed Ebay auctions. Lots of research here on B&B. I learned that I didn't need a case; user, not a collector. I learned that I should get as close to a pristine razor as I could afford, as I didn't want a replate. I set an absolute maximum, high enough to get a quality razor, but still within a normal retired-guy budget.

I lost out on lots of auctions. I find the entire auction process a boring pain, especially being sniped at the last moment. I just don't care enough to devote the time and attention needed. I looked at the Buy It Now Fatboys, and I found just what I wanted. Sparkling clean, good seller reviews. Too expensive, but he entertained reasonable offers, and we came to an agreement, five bucks over my maximum, ten free blades, free shipping.

I use it every shave. Fabulous shaver. Even the same quarter as my original 195.

Research, I guess, is my one-word answer.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
A shill is a plant by the seller who bids multiple times to raise the price .. EBay has a feature that allows you to see the bids - check the list on some completed auctions. On razors that were bid way high, ask yourself why a guy who has 10 bids on EBay has 50% of them with that exact seller on one high priced razor. Techs for $40+? Razor after razor. EBay has no apparent interest in stopping it, as they reap the fees off inflated prices.

As I said, seems, not proof.

I have made some good purchases on ebay from f_dizzle. He (she?) honestly describes the offering, starts with a low entry price, ships promptly and packages well. This is a vendor whose offerings I frequently check. The only problem I have is that the auctions often close at midnight --Left Coast -- and I live in Connecticut. I missed a nice English flat bed, fat handle Tech recently because of this.

B&B member Techichi sold me a Contract Tech in usable shape for a good price on eBay. I was going to have it cerakoted anyway, but his description was right on. I'd recommend Don. If he's selling something that you are interested in, I wouldn't think twice. Good luck.

Ebaywise:

CFM: The ferrari dealer. When you want the best, and you're willing to pay. I used him for my prize razor. I'm happy. Some of the ad is a little cheesy... ***"don't buy from anyone but us! If you do, it will lead to empty dreams and broken promises!!!". Riiight. I bought from another ebay seller, the next morning I awoke beaten in a ditch. Spare me.

pokemonman (or something). I've purchased many NEWs from him, more so than anyone. Always a good experience. Odd combination. Pokemon cards. Awesome razors. I opt for "razors".

fdizzle: bought my first DE there (1940s Tech). Good every time as well. Mirror bottom, black background, hideous white glass vase featuring "for her pleasure" nubs. And a razor.

In fact, there was only one bad experience I've had and it wasn't from anyone who knew a razor...though they do now courtesy of me and the ebay dispute team. :D

Last edited:
Ebay is not too bad and generally slightly more expensive than bst but you do get a lot more pictures on single product, it may or may not tell you more abt the condition of the product.

I would also try to post a WTB here. The thing about adjustables is they have more parts and as such there are more things to bend, break, misalign, etc. Ebay and slims are a dicey proposition at best

Thanks to all who replied, I received a PM from a forum member and purchased a Slim. Looking forward to hitting up BST when I'm eligible

Post a want to buy in the B/S/T here. In believe you have to have 50 posts to do that, so you're close.

This is hilarious. I can wait for the BST, but what sparks your interest?

I'm a HUGE fan of the Gillette News (LC is better IMO, but SC is no slouch). Put one or both on your list, no doubt.

A shill is a plant by the seller who bids multiple times to raise the price .. EBay has a feature that allows you to see the bids - check the list on some completed auctions. On razors that were bid way high, ask yourself why a guy who has 10 bids on EBay has 50% of them with that exact seller on one high priced razor. Techs for $40+? Razor after razor. EBay has no apparent interest in stopping it, as they reap the fees off inflated prices.

As I said, seems, not proof.

In high school a buddy did this for me when I wanted to sell a motorcycle on ebay. We both felt nasty about it, so I gave the winning bidder a break (about 10% off the price to clear my conscience).

Still, it happens all the time.

Top Bottom