What's new

Bad Reaction to Proraso Anti-Irritation Pre-Shave Cream (Proraso White Pre-Shave)

I seem to have had a reaction to Proraso's "Sensitive" Pre-Shave Cream with the Oatmeal and Green Tea. I used it for the first time around 3 pm on Saturday. I noticed Saturday night that my head was really itchy while trying to sleep. I woke up Sunday and had a lot of irritation, particularly on the back of my head after just washing my head and face and splashing on some Pinuad Vanilla (no shave). Irritation was still there this morning, so I had my wife take a look and she said there were visible red blotches on my scalp.

The only thing I can think of that would have caused it was the Proroaso White Pre-Shave (details below). Anyone else have a similar experience?

I started DE shaving both face and head back in June, and had a really good run for almost a month of low irritation, no nicks, good shaves, and my skin seemed to be looking better too. My prep consisted of shower, apply Taconic pre-shave oil, build uber-lather using Gillette Canned Gel (I was just trying to get rid of the last of it), Col. Conk Amber soap, and some store brand liquid glycerine. Shave was 3 passes, WTG, XTG, GTX, reapplying PSO between passes, then follow up with Witch Hazel and Pinaud Clubman Original. About a week and a half ago, I started noticing some acne on the back of my head. I realized the only variable that seemed different was that I had changed out my Gillette shave gel for some other brand (don't remember which). So I threw it away, and gave it a few days, but it didn't feel any better and my skin actually began to feel oily as well. I decided to change out the PSO for the Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream that I picked up earlier in the month. Doesn't seem to agree with my skin.

My skins is also sensitive to the Proraso products. I have found the Taylor of Old Bond Street Jerymn Luxuary Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin is a nice alternative.

Sometimes I get an irritated neck that is a rash, after a shave. Usually the next day. My skin is sensitive, and I attribute it to a contaminate I came into contact with after the shave. I just use witch hazel and keep it dry. Sometimes I apply Gold Bond.

Had exactly the same issue with the white pre shave. Strangely enough I'm fine with the white oatmeal and green tea shaving soap. The pre shave stuff does seem quite mentholated to me so maybe that's the source of the issue.

I am fine with the white Proraso soap and cream as well as PRE shave cream, however I have bad skin reaction to white aftershave. One might think your skin should tolerate the whole white range without exception.., strange.

My skins is also sensitive to the Proraso products. I have found the Taylor of Old Bond Street Jerymn Luxuary Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin is a nice alternative.

Interestingly, the Jermyn Street cream gave me a rash. The Jermyn Street aftershave works fine for me though.

Bottom line; even if a product is labeled as for sensitive skin, that is not a guarantee it won't give you irritation.

Many products that others complain about (e.g. products containing citrus oils, or Arko, Palmolive, and De Vergulde Hand soaps) work absolutely fine for me though, so I don't consider my skin to be sensitive.

Top Bottom