What's new

The Whiskey Wedge

Granted it takes up some space in the glass but this is kind of cool.

$33893_2.jpg

Cold whiskey is good. Watered down whiskey is not. The Whiskey Wedge helps you achieve the former while avoiding the latter. The trick is in the special silicone mold. You simply pour water into the included double old fashioned glass, insert the mold, and freeze. Thanks to the ice's wedge shape, it melts far more slowly than a typical cube thanks to the limited surface area in contact with the drink, meaning your whiskey gets nice and chilled but keeps its integrity to the last drop. ($15)

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/the-whiskey-wedge-by-corkcicle.asp

Fancy presentation, but seems impractical. For starters, now you have an ice cold GLASS, which is uncomfortable to hold and will get condensation on it. Seems like you could just have a chilled glass and get the same effect. The point of ice is that it WILL melt, adding some water. If you don't want much dilution don't add so much ice. If you leave your drink lying around the ice will melt, and this thing is a BIG chunk of ice, so you will have really dilute whisky after 20 minutes no matter what you do. A small regular ice cube will have the same total surface area as this "wedge", impart the same chilling effect, but not add so much water, IMHO.

I do like the ice ball, might have to score some molds for it.

I don't put ice in my whisky. But if you guys like ice balls, search wintersmiths. Molds will give you ugly ice that is soft in the middle and will melt fast. Either make your own crystal clear blocks and cut out pieces, or use the wintersmiths mold.

The ice balls are cool, but the molds are typically impractical and expensive. I prefer the bigger cube molds when I'm icing a cocktail. I do not use it for whiskey, but it's a good option for those who do ice their booze. I prefer whiskey stones. They cool the drink just enough to make it noticeable, but not dull the palate and don't add any water. I prefer just a few drops into a neat drink, so ice spoils it for me.

This wedge is pretty neat, but I'd be afraid of it breaking loose and becoming a problem.

neat visual presentation, but:

Why would I want my whiskey so cold I can't taste it? I could just leave the whole bottle in the freezer if I wanted that.

A frozen glass is a total pain to hold.

After my hand has warmed the glass, won't the ice come loose and flop down my shirt?

One cannot appreciate the craftsmanship
that goes into a whisky if said drink is
too cold to discern the nuances.

Top Bottom