What's new

I have AD I Think

Ok Guys,

I have been into DE wet shaving for about two months now and have several DE razors ( Merkur 38C/34C, F3 Gillette Fatboy, V1 Gillette Tech, Schick Eversharp G, D2 Gillette SS, several soaps, creams and AS's but now I see I am drawn to GEM SE razors and am wondering if these are good shavers and will help feed my AD and if not what would be and I have found out that I like unique and vintage.

Also is there some meds I can get to offset my RAD/AD/MAD :thumbup:

These are the ones I'm looking at:

Gem Featherweight

Gem Pushbutton ?

Ever-Ready 1914 ?

Last edited:
The 1912's are very nice shavers. They are all fairly abundant, and inexpensive. Try them all. No meds. Just try what you like. If you stick around here, you will get talked into an injector razor. The Schick E and G series are aggressive, the I series are somewhat mild. These shave well.

The 1912's are very nice shavers. They are all fairly abundant, and inexpensive. Try them all. No meds. Just try what you like. If you stick around here, you will get talked into an injector razor. The Schick E and G series are aggressive, the I series are somewhat mild. These shave well.

I actually have a Schick Injector Eversharp G but have not used it yet, blades coming

Ok Guys,

Also is there some meds I can get to offset my AD/MAD :thumbup:

These are the ones I'm looking at:

Gem Featherweight

Gem Pushbutton ?

Ever-Ready 1914 ?

Asking about a cure for RAD in this forum is about like asking the guy sitting next to you in a bar how to cut down on your drinking.:001_smile

All the razors you mention are capable of excellent shaves. The Gem Featherweight and Pushbutton are generally regarded as mild shavers (think Gillette Tech), while the Ever Ready 1914 is significantly more agressive.

The 1912 is a good first SE. The Gem and Ever Ready (and Star and Treet, for that matter) are pratically identical.

And of course there are also the Schick injectors.

It really doesn't matter which one you start with, you know you're going to get them all.:thumbup1:

--Bob

These are the one's I'm looking at, resistance is futile I will be asimalated :w00t:

$Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 6.29.35 PM.jpg$Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 6.30.35 PM.jpg$Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 6.31.45 PM.jpg

A Shovelhead and a Featherweight . The two I have. Haven't gotten around to using them yet. They were in a "lot of razors" buy on eBay. The other is NOS, and I am leaving it alone.
They are inexpensive and easy to get on eBay. Go for them.

Last edited:
Well took the plunge and got this, should have it by next week and it's my first SE shaver, hope it looks as good in person as the pics.

Also what is a good blade to drop in the baby, I see where www.tryablade.com has GEM blades but not sure as they have several to choose from.

$Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 10.43.57 AM.png$Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 10.44.03 AM.png$Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 10.44.06 AM.png

Last edited:
A Shovelhead and a Featherweight . The two I have. Haven't gotten around to using them yet. They were in a "lot of razors" buy on eBay. The other is NOS, and I am leaving it alone.
They are inexpensive and easy to get on eBay. Go for them.
The top one is an ER 1914, not the 1924 :)

panther308, you should be able to pick up a 10 pack of blades in a pharmacy. CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens usually carry them, not sure what chains you have down in Texas.

The Ever Ready 1914 is one of my favorite SE's. However, I would suggest getting comfortable with your 1912 before trying it, as it is considerably more agressive than the 1912.

When you see what it looks like with a blade in it, you may have second thoughts.

$1914a.JPG

Serious blade exposure! :thumbup1:

--Bob

The Ever Ready 1914 is one of my favorite SE's. However, I would suggest getting comfortable with your 1912 before trying it, as it is considerably more agressive than the 1912.

When you see what it looks like with a blade in it, you may have second thoughts.

View attachment 502137

Serious blade exposure! :thumbup1:

--Bob

I think the design is what fascinated me that's why I picked them up, still don't have any blades for them but I don't have them in hand yet. I'm guessing I can pick up single edge blades locally ? or is their a good brand to use, I see where www.tryablade.com has a sample pack if that would be a good idea or should I stick to one particular brand, I did notice there are not many choices compared to DE blades.

Your only real decision with SE blades is whether to use stainless steel or carbon steel blades. Nearly all blades are made by American Safety Razor Co., including the "house brand" blades sold by CVS and Rite Aid drug stores. I have heard that Walgreen's carries Gem Stainless blades, but that is not true in my neck of the woods (Southern CA).

Some consider the carbon steel blades to be smoother, but they must be removed from the razor and dried after each shave. I use the Gem Stainless blades myself.

In the INFO POST sticky at the top of this forum you will find a link to an extensive discussion of blades.

A cautionary note: you can find single edge blades in hardware stores, Home Depot, etc. that look identical and fit in your razors perfectly. However, these are NOT made for shaving, they are for paint scrapers, box cutters, etc. What they will do to your face is not pretty, so don't try to use them.

--Bob

Last edited:
Your only real decision with SE blades is whether to use stainless steel or carbon steel blades. Nearly all blades are made by American Safety Razor Co., including the "house brand" blades sold by CVS and Rite Aid drug stores. I have heard that Walgreen's carries Gem Stainless blades, but that is not true in my neck of the woods (Southern CA).

Some consider the carbon steel blades to be smoother, but they must be removed from the razor and dried after each shave. I use the Gem Stainless blades myself.

In the INFO POST sticky at the top of this forum you will find a link to an extensive discussion of blades.

A cautionary note: you can find single edge blades in hardware stores, Home Depot, etc. that look identical and fit in your razors perfectly. However, these are NOT made for shaving, they are for paint scrapers, box cutters, etc. What they will do to your face is not pretty, so don't try to use them.

--Bob

Thanks for the info, my plan was to never use the one's from the hardware store although I have a lot of those in my tool box, I thought I would add about 2-3 each from tryablade when I order some other blades and I kind of thought about the carbon one's rusting and I don't want to pull the blade all the time even though I kinda do that now with my DE razors, I'm alittle OCD and shaving have become almost a ritual for me now I lay out everything almost like a surgeon :001_rolle

Top Bottom