What's new

Shaving Blind

Hey everybody,
So I've only recently started shaving with a straight razor, coming from a DE, and it has been going absolutely great... only that when I'm shaving the sides I feel like I might as well just close my eyes. I seem to have a hard time getting a good view in the mirror which has resulted in a few nicks on my ear. I've been switching hands when I change sides but I just end up struggling to get a peep at how close my blade is to my ear. I'm hoping that my sense of size for the blade will get better but until then any tips? small side mirror? a guide dog? anything at all.

I know what you mean. I get everything in position then slowly bring the blade to my face. Once I make contact, I can use that feel to guide me. It only seems to happen right up by the sideburns.

Yep, sort of like driving a car. I can't see the corners of the car but I can pretty much sense where they are. It will come to you.

Mike

It can definitely get tricky around the ears. This is the way I do it. Turn sideways so that your shoulder is facing the mirror, and move your head down so that your chin is near you collarbone. You will still be blocking one eye, but should be able to get a good look with the opposite.

I know what you are talking about. My Father didn't shave with a straight--only a DE and yet even with that it can occasionally be difficult to visualize where the blade is. He used the term "Shaving by Braille."

Rely less on the mirror and more on feel. People who shave there heads are shaving everything behind the ears and back of head blind. You just learn to feel where the razor is. Just go slow when you are lost and feel your way through the stroke.

Thanks everybody for the advice :) I'm hoping that by the time I get the "feel" my ear doesn't look too mangled haha
Do any of you think a rounded toe would be a bit easier on the ear then a pointed tip? I never really though much about it until I started looking a snagging a second straight...

Thanks everybody for the advice :) I'm hoping that by the time I get the "feel" my ear doesn't look too mangled haha
Do any of you think a rounded toe would be a bit easier on the ear then a pointed tip? I never really though much about it until I started looking a snagging a second straight...

Khory,
When shaving near your ear, it not only helps to go very slowly as you move in, but take the outer edge of your ear and pull it towards the back of your head. This will stretch the skin making it easier to get to and slightly move the lobe out of the way. If you are able to pull your ear all the way to the back of your head revealing a horrible face underneath your public one, then you're in either a Jim Carry or Wes Craven film and should stop shaving immediately.

Round tip or square makes less of a difference as you get better, but in the beginning, round tips are easier. Except around the ear where the tip protrudes past the cutting surface making it hard to in close to the ear. For the rest of the face, it's safer. It's a tradeoff I suppose.

I find that different size razors allow me to see around my ears differently. Perhaps a wider or more narrow razor would help?

There is a bit of a leap of faith on some parts of my face too. Early on, sometimes the landing was gentle, other times not so much.

I had this problem with my first couple of shaves. After applying some aftershave, I noticed that I managed to knick my earlobe with the straight. It's funny how a sharp blade can take a bite out of flesh without your realizing it. Like the 'parking a new car' analogy, you get used to the general size and feel of the razor (at least that's been my experience). Best of luck.

Top Bottom