What's new

A little Help

JMJ -

I wanted to know what other thought about my little issue, so here it is:

I have a Merkur Long handle (my first razor) and I load it with a Personna Med Prep and get a DFS with little or no irritation for 5 shaves.

I loaded an old Gillette tech with a Personna Med Prep and got a decent shave with a bit of irritation. Now, I have used this razor before and gotten the same results.

Now what I'm thinking is that it's just my blade angle. The top part of the head is smaller on my tech than on my merkur.

Any thoughts?

YBIC
Mike

I don't know those razors, so I couldn't say for sure, but it sounds like you're saying the Tech has more exposed blade than the Merkur? Pics would help, but most likely you just need to adjust the way you angle the razor with the Tech. Every razor has its own unique optimum angle, and part of the zen of shaving is patiently focusing on your technique with each razor until you find that optimum angle.

Good luck and happy shaving!

As weird as it sounds, same blade in different razor doesn't always equal same results. I have certain blades that are awesome in one razor but give me irritation in another razor. Spend time with each razor understanding different weight and angles, and play around with a sample pack.

I have the same issue. A "mild" tech or SS irritates my neck like crazy while more "aggressive" razors do not cause the problem. This is even with the same number of passes and no touch up with the mild razors.

JMJ -

I wanted to know what other thought about my little issue, so here it is:

I have a Merkur Long handle (my first razor) and I load it with a Personna Med Prep and get a DFS with little or no irritation for 5 shaves.

I loaded an old Gillette tech with a Personna Med Prep and got a decent shave with a bit of irritation. Now, I have used this razor before and gotten the same results.

Now what I'm thinking is that it's just my blade angle. The top part of the head is smaller on my tech than on my merkur.

Any thoughts?

YBIC
Mike
How many time's have you done this experiment?

JMJ -

Here are two pictures of my razors with a blade in it. I'm sure I don't need to say it but...Merkur long handle is on the left and tech is on the right.

YBIC
Mike

Attachments

• $IMG_2196.jpg
    $IMG_2196.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 37
  • $IMG_2197.jpg
    $IMG_2197.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 36
As others have noted. Each razor type has its own characteristics. Part of the fun here is learning these differences.

JMJ -

Yes, I am trying. I really like the feel of the tech in my hands. And its really cool to think that I am using something so old to shave.

YBIC
Mike

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
As weird as it sounds, same blade in different razor doesn't always equal same results. I have certain blades that are awesome in one razor but give me irritation in another razor. Spend time with each razor understanding different weight and angles, and play around with a sample pack.

+1 and part of the fun. narrowing it down may take weeks or months. Its all good, and what I think we all enjoy with our wet-shaving experience.

+2

Top Bottom