What's new

What do you do immediately following a shave when you've CUT yourself and bleeding?

What do you guys do after you've cut yourself and your bleeding?

I rinse the wound with cold water, sometimes put witch hazel on it, then I apply baby rash ointment or neosproin (if i have any)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Styptic. Weeper or cut styptic typically stops the bleeding.
If it wont stop I'll put the trusty TP on it.

If it STILL wont stop bleeding...well that's never happened, but I guess a bandaid

For me, if it happens early in the shave, I rinse the cut and spot treat with alum, then continue, hitting the cut each pass with alum. By the time I'm done the alum has usually done a decent job of stanching the flow.

If it's during the shave, I put a little lather on top of it and then rinse off with cold water before my next pass. If still bleeding at the end of the shave, cold water rinse. If it's a weeper at the end of my shave and cold water rinse, I rub the alum block over it. Anything more than that gets the styptic pencil.

If it's during the shave, I put a little lather on top of it and then rinse off with cold water before my next pass. If still bleeding at the end of the shave, cold water rinse. If it's a weeper at the end of my shave and cold water rinse, I rub the alum block over it. Anything more than that gets the styptic pencil.

+1. I haven't yet got a cut so bad that it can't wait till end of the shave.

+1 for this. Also, I have learned that if nick or weeper is not too severe, to let it bleed while I finish shaving. This starts the clotting action and makes post-shaving treatment more effective.

Styptic. Weeper or cut styptic typically stops the bleeding.
If it wont stop I'll put the trusty TP on it.

If it STILL wont stop bleeding...well that's never happened, but I guess a bandaid

+1

Usually it stops by the time I'm done shaving. If not, sometimes I have to put a little pressure on it with TP. I have an Alum block on the way from RazoRock, but no styptic pencil, but pressure usually does it. Either way, my last step is to put some Tea Tree oil (not pure, with carrier oils; Walgreens carries a brand labeled as "skin and Scalp treatment, and it's excellent for this purpose) on it. It helps soothe and heal, but it also keeps the blood from drying on your scalp and looking unsightly. If it's still bleeding just a tiny bit, the oil keeps the blood above the skin, and when it dries it just wipes off clean leaving no scab, just a nice shiny pink spot that usually heals completely by the next shave.

Tea Tree Oil Skin and Scalp Treatment at Walgreens, like three dollars, worth at least three times that much.

Last edited:
My alum block usually gets the job done, but when I really mess up, I use Proraso Gel - it's a great, relatively unknown product.

This works too but it makes me feel a little woozy.

Hahaha

If it's a cut I like to get some alum on there and let it air dry to see if the bleeding stops. If it doesn't stop, I normally just try to pinch it closed for a couple minutes to let it seal up.
For weepers I take some alum and concentrate on that area after I finish shaving. Then I just continue with my normal post-shave routine.

I continue as normal with my shaving routine. I don't even try to avoid shaving over that spot on subsequent passes. Sometimes it bleeds through the lather, but that's OK with me.

Sometimes it's stopped bleeding by the final cold-water rinse. Other times, it waits to stop until my all-over alum block rub. If it's still bleeding by the time I'm completely done with my routine, then I dab it with the styptic pencil.

I think there's only been one time that it kept bleeding after the styptic, and that's when I sliced open a raised mole I didn't know I had on my neck. I just dabbed it with toilet paper every so often for a while.

alum block, then styptic pencil then the poraso glue stuff if still bleeding. usally not by then. I use a product called Murad razor rescue after the alum block on my face

I had to resort to the old TP method yesterday didnt have a steptic handy when i lowered a bump i have just under my nose that was a good one or bad depends on how you handle the sight of blood. At least with the fresh blade and all the soap it was a sharp clean cut.

Top Bottom