What's new

Frankenfatty lives!

I would like to say, that this razor has been down a long hard road. It started out as a very abused and broken Gillette Fat Boy. A door was broken, deep pits, all over, and a very hard life.
This is where I come into the story. I had a Fat Boy that looked decent, but needed a handle, the old one was the victim of a poor dis-assembly, and the main handle was dented badly. IMATABOR, and very kind member generously donated his parts razor to me, so I could have a working razor.
I sent the two razors to Capt Murphy, for the body transplant. All went well. That is when Capt Murphy and I got the Idea for a rebuild of the parts, that were left over. This is when the idea of Frankenfatty came along. I wanted to do a Pass-around with this razor, even after many have said Frankenfatty might get lost. I have faith in peoples honesty here.
The parts would not work together, when Capt Murphy tried to assemble them.
He sent the razor back to me, and I had many machinists look at the problem. The long rod that operates the doors needed to be lengthened. One Machine shop in Houston TX donated time to machine the rod, so it would work.
I polished as much as possible, for me, did a home Nickel plating job, and sent it back to Capt Murphy.
I wish I could have done a better job of plating, but I am not Chris, at Razorplate.com. Besides, the metal was very deeply pitted.

In a very short time, Frankenfatty will be the focus of a pass-around. Capt Murphy will post this when he feels Frankenfatty is ready.

IMATABOR, please provide any photos of Frankenfatty, that you have, and your story about his beginning life.

I will include my only picture that I can find of Frankenfatty, after the plating, polishing, and machining of the rod.

Once again, thank you IMATABOR, and CAPT MURPHY, for what you have done.

With all the man hours and machine work done to FrankenFatty, many very nice Fat Boys could have been purchased.

$Scott pics 013.jpg$P9070465.jpg

Last edited:
This was one of my first razors. I bought it at a yard sale for $2. I was so excited that I didn't even look at it. Well got home and noticed that the doors didn't open. I soaked it for several days and nothing. I finally looked at it and it was bent all out of shape.
I actually posted about this razor and I posted these pictures:
$safety.jpg
$peg.jpg
$doors (1).jpg
After posting these I ended up posting this last October:
No real love. Just don't know when to move on.
Okay I'm calling it, time of death 2:07 .
Into the parts drawer.
This poor soul was tucked away till a few months ago Scott asked if he could buy it for some crazy idea he had. Well being a sucker for a redemption story I gladly gave it away so that it may have hope of a better life.

I'm excited to see how it turns out. I just hopes it doesn't seek out revenge on its creators.

Very nice write-up here, Sir. It has been my pleasure to assist you on this project! Bringing these back from the dead seems to be my forte lately! I too want to thank IMATABOR for his generosity, without him, we would not have the goods for such a unique pass-around For those viewing, here is the page in the fatboy thread that shows the work Mr. Dalton mentioned above..it goes on for a few posts.

I have been steadily working on the frankenfatty and it is going well! Here are the pieces as I received them:
$100_2806.jpg$100_2807.jpg
As you can all see, the door rod is in two pieces with a small piece of metal in the center to provide the additional length that was required. Whoever did the machining did some excellent work!

This was one of my first razors. I bought it at a yard sale for $2. I was so excited that I didn't even look at it. Well got home and noticed that the doors didn't open. I soaked it for several days and nothing. I finally looked at it and it was bent all out of shape.
I actually posted about this razor and I posted these pictures:
View attachment 498624
View attachment 498625
View attachment 498627
After posting these I ended up posting this last October:

This poor soul was tucked away till a few months ago Scott asked if he could buy it for some crazy idea he had. Well being a sucker for a redemption story I gladly gave it away so that it may have hope of a better life.

I'm excited to see how it turns out. I just hopes it doesn't seek out revenge on its creators.

Wow, I had no clue it was that bad before! That safety bar plate looked like a curly fry!

Hey capt, I hadn't been following your Fatboy thread but just spent some time looking it over. Very cool what you are doing. It was also fun reading about your work on this Frankenfatty.

Dalton, glad to see you got a great "Fatboy" out of the deal and giving back is a class act.

Last edited:
Hey capt, I hadn't been following your Fatboy thread but just spent some time looking it over. Very cool what you are doing. It was also fun reading about your work on this Frankenfatty.

Dalton, glad to see you got a great Fatboy out of the deal and giving back is a class act.
Thank you, Sir. I am glad that you enjoyed the thread! I think you are going to be surprised with frankenfatty's turnout!

After making some careful measurements to conform to tolerances and such, here is the lengthened door rod:
$100_2808.jpg

Now, after some collaboration with Mr. Dalton, we decided to deep-six the crimp style retainer cap and utilize an alternate retainer. The crimped retainer cap was distorted and looked awful installed on the razor, plus, the new retainer is consistent with the whole Frankenstein theme! This is what I decided to use:
$100_2893.jpg
It is a 6-32 acorn nut that has been nickel plated:thumbup: I will have to use the brass stock in the photo to make a threaded post, much like the one I made for one of the members in my fatboy thread. Here is another closer photo, I apologize for the light conditions:
$100_2894.jpg

Last edited:
Frankenfatty does live!
$100_2902.jpg$100_2903.jpg$100_2904.jpg$100_2905.jpg$100_2906.jpg

I have some more adjustments to make before I start the pass-around but this is what he looks like! Enjoy everyone!

It's looking it's best, probably in many years. I am looking forward to SHAVING with it. As beat up as it was, it didn't look like it was good for anything but to donate a couple of parts. Now it is looking like a razor. Good job.

Top Bottom