What's new

Razor Recommendation?

Evening Gents,

Looking for a razor recommendation. As it is, I use a PTFE coated Gem SE blade with a 1912 Damaskeene (I really enjoy the Damaskeene but for some reason my blades don't go past 3 shaves comfortably). I've read that these particular blades actually get better by the fourth or fifth shave (any comments on this?) so I'm gonna stick with the one I have right now.

With the angle I'm using (which produces a very comfortable shave), I need about four passes to get a DFS. I'd rather cut that down with either a better blade or a (slightly) more aggressive razor. I know the 1912 is considered a FANTASTIC RAZOR, and I absolutely agree. I'm just looking to try something else that I can possibly throw into my rotation. Any suggestions?

As always, THANKS!

Have you considered an Injector? A Schick Type E or G would be a very good razor, and the blades last a really long time.

I use the Gem stainless PTFE blades. I find that if I am not very careful regarding pressure/angle for the first two shaves I pay for it with some irritation. By the third shave they are smoother, although not any closer. This morning I got a BBS shave with three passes from a blade on its sixth shave in a Gem Damaskeene.

Of course, YMMV, and it certainly is worth trying the carbon steel blades to see if they might work better for you.

If you want to try a more agressive SE, consider an Ever Ready 1924 (commonly called a "shovelhead"), or a Gem Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC).

As others have mentiond, the Schick injectors are also worth looking into.

--Bob

Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
+4 on trying injectors; You can't go wrong. Order some Schick Injector blades to go with one.
Your Gem PTFE blade should last for more than a few shaves, don't give up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll keep at it with the PTFE blades and I'll definitely look into the injector type E. Injectors feel perhaps a bit too modern for me, in terms of shape, but I'm definitely gonna try one out (along with a ever ready shovelhead). The search never ends!

what would you pay for very good to excellent, no case?? $15-20 reasonable? (with blades)
Hmm, I think others might be better placed to answer that. I'm not really a collector, just a shaver. I'd have a look at the BST and eBay to gauge prices. As for blades, you're really looking at the Schick blades made in China ("Chicks") or Personna injector blades (unless you want to use vintage ones). The Personnas are what I use and got 30 from Connaught for $15ish (even though in the UK, Royal Mail is efficient and inexpensive, taking 5 business days for an order to arrive), but shop around. That was the best deal for a Canadian. If you're in the US, there are no doubt better deals.

Good suggestions all. My favorite is the E but all the injectors will give you a great shave. As to price-- depends on the razor and what one is willing to bid. I collect and use so I'm ready to go nuts if there's a model/case/blades/papers that I want, but you should be able to find a good one that's inexpensive. For modern blades I like the "Chicks." But I mostly use vintage. So get yerself one and some blades and get hooked!

Anybody have any opinions on the new Mongoose SE that's just come out? Wouldn't mind getting my hands one one of those so I can try the Kai or Feather shavette blades...

Try the carbon steel Gem blades many brands one manufacturer as I understand. US made by ASR. I like the carbon steel better than the SS, but you don't get as many shaves and you have to wipe the blade dry.

Also try corking the SS blade when new might help with the first couple of shaves.

Top Bottom