What's new

Omega Pro 48

So, I have been using this brush for two weeks now and I feel like I should say something about it - maybe new users, or potential buyers will find it useful.

I have bought this brush as Proraso Professional SB. It has a chromed ABS handle. First thing you will notice is the enormous size of this thing - How the hell I am gonna use this? Don't freak out, keep reading. First off, handle is actually really comfortable and doesn't slip. Second - you will find big hairs are advantage. Once I got my brush out of the box, I also noticed hairs are stiff, so much I thought I will get irritation on my neck from lathering alone. Whatever you hear about boar brush smell - it's not true. It had weird smell to it, but it wasn't stink. It was some musky scent that is not uncomfortable at all, neither it's strong enough for you to even smell it untill you bring the brush to your nose. When I got it, I soaked it in warm water (up to, but not soaking the knot) and left it for few minutes. Than I took a bowl and lathered in it with Nivea cream. After shaking the brush and removing excess water it looks almost sad-hairs stuck to each other and it looked like a wet mouse. Start lathering. Eventually it fills up with so much lather you will end up wondering why the hell isn't this thing working - there is no lather in bowl, it just keeps on filling the brush. Once you gently squeeze it, amount of lather it held made me say "Royale!" out loud. It was stiff though, and still had that scent mixed with cream smell.

Two weeks later, brush became extraordinarily soft. Still, hairs have just the right amount of stiffness, reffered to as backbone, so the brush is easy to control and lather gets right where you want it to be. Just don't use excessive pressure on it, that way it fans out and than you have a mess. Also, on my brush hairs have already started to split and because of that brush hold more lather and is much softer on top. Eventually almost all hairs will split for truly 100% potential.

Handle just draws fingerprints. It has a cheapy feel when you knock on it, but overall it's sturdy enough. Knot and hairs are flawless once it breaks in. Mine had some hairs sticking out, and some hairs fell off in lather. It doesn't happen now and it works perfectly. One note though - it dries slowly. I run it across towel gently few times, and store it on makeshift holder upside down, to keep hairs together and prevent knot from getting much water. This will affect how much years you will get out of it. While we are at it... excessive pressure on brush eventually starts breaking hairs - not good. Using any harsh chemicals destroys it. Try storing it out of the cabinet so air can dry it thoroughly. Don't use fan or any kind of forced drying. This brush dries slowly but once you get the hang of it you will have a nice dry brush for next morning shave.

Verdict? Fabulous brush. Takes time but than you get wonderful lather and feeling. Size is too big for some but it's just right when you get used to it - nice grip on face and no lather on fingers. Scent completely goes away after two weeks of regular use.

Also a bonus : Italian master barbers use it in their shops. And I checked it, it's true, not just a marketing gimmick. I haven't used many brushes but this one does exactly what it should be doing, and some more experienced people than me are swapping badgers for it. I give it 9/10, just because perfection isn't achievable.

Last edited:
It's my everyday favorite brush. I have a spare one in my closet in case they stop making them

I just received a 48 a couple of days ago. So I'm still in the "breaking in" stage, but I can see lots of potential. I agree with the momentary freak out about the size. However, it seems to work very well with my TOBS Avocado shaving cream.

Another fan here. It just seems to generate more lather with the same amount of cream.
And despite its size, you can still face-lather with it if you wish by putting the base of the handle in your palm and holding the base of the knot with your fingertips.

SWMBO also likes it for her legs!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The guys at Antica Barbieria Colla use the 48 also. Very renowned master barbers. Amazing brushes especially for the price. I would personally rank a well broken in boat right on par with the best made Silvertip badger brushes around.

Another fan here. It just seems to generate more lather with the same amount of cream.
And despite its size, you can still face-lather with it if you wish by putting the base of the handle in your palm and holding the base of the knot with your fingertips.

SWMBO also likes it for her legs!
The big loft let that happen. That is as per my experience with brushes.

I have a 49 which has the same dimensions as the 48, just an unplated handle. I agree with just about everything that has been said except for the smell. The stink from my brush was unbareable for the first week or so. Fine now and a great brush. Strangely I also have a Omega travel brush with no smell at all.

If you don't like that handle (I don't), the Omega 98 brush is for you.

proxy.php

If you don't like that handle (I don't), the Omega 98 brush is for you.

proxy.php

My girlfriend and I both own one of this brush, which is a favorite of ours. She loves the handle and size of the bristles, as do I. After she used mine she had to pick one up for herself.

been using one of these for a couple of months now, its a monster but works great with hard soaps or creams,its got to be one of the bst budget buy shaving brushes around.

Top Bottom