What's new

Polishing the handle of a NDC superspeed.

Apologies if this is in wrong place but I could find a restoration forum for De's. I acquired a near mint NDC Superspeed this morning and being a little OCD I'm looking to polish up the knurling on the handle. Could anyone tell me what material the handle is so I can get the correct polish? I have seen a few brands on different threads but being in the UK we don't have them. I have brasso and also a plate you use in the sink with washing crystals or baking soda. Are these safe to use. I think the problem may be the depth and fineness of the knurling.

TIA

Paul.

Don't use Brasso, it will remove the plating. Simichrome is good, and I believe you can also easily find Turtle Wax Metal Polish, etc ...

But if you say it is near mint it shouldn't need much. A gentle scrub with an old toothbrush and some dish soap would probably get the job done.

+1 for this. Also, to you question, the base metal for the handle is solid brass and the plating is nickel.

Don't use Brasso, it will remove the plating. Simichrome is good, and I believe you can also easily find Turtle Wax Metal Polish, etc ...

But if you say it is near mint it shouldn't need much. A gentle scrub with an old toothbrush and some dish soap would probably get the job done.

In the past I have used a wet soft toothbrush with a pea sized blob of Maas or simichrome loaded on it. Lightly scrub the knurling with the brush. Do not over do it. Just a few good scrubs across all areas, then use copious amounts of warm water and scrub off the polish with the same toothbrush. More scrubbing required here to get the polish off. Then use a microfiber to dry off and buff the razor. This usually works well for me.

Last edited:
I got some 'peek' polish in the supermarket. States it's safe for all metals. I'll just give it a little polish later.

Before you use anything try just using Dawn detergent , scrubbing bubbles , simple green , etc.

From my personal experience, I would not recommend Scrubbing Bubbles on Nickel, Gold or generally sensitive finishes as it may cause bleaching effects from long exposure to the chemicals. It has not been a problem for me on thick Polished Chrome finishes.

Used a little peek polish on a toothbrush. Light scrubbing, lots of rinsing and polish up with a dry cloth. It's now mint and my OCD has eased.

Top Bottom