What's new

Suggestions For A Clean Feeling/Non Powdery Splash

I'm mostly a Clubman user, but have a bottle of Fine American Blend in the rotation. I'm not a big fan of the Blend's menthol, but I really love getting a clean/non powdery feeling every once in awhile on my skin.
Can anyone suggest any other aftershaves that give the same "clean feeling"? Would an Old Spice or Aqua Velva do the trick?

Skin Bracer, Florida water, Pinaud Lime Sec.
I tried Florida Water for the first time today. It was "stingy", but not razor burn stingy. (sting-ee, not stin-gee)
Pleasant aroma, clean feeling.

Speick or Myrsol Aqua Balsamica.

AV is the least powdery of the drug store splashes followed closely by Nivea splash. English Leather and Stetson are not very powdery also. Old Spice fits pretty well into this category.

Last edited:
Check out the Stirling products homepage. Great natural products at low cost. Scents are fantastic and have longevity. My fav is Black Pepper Lime. Non powdery.

+1 on the 4711. I've never used their aftershave; I use the cologne as a splash after perhaps half my shaves. Clean scent, citrus at first, then quickly toning down to something a little spicier/woodier. In no way powdery.

I do have to admit that I dislike almost every aftershave out there, including Old Spice, Aqua Velva, all the popular ones. So many have an overriding artificial, fresh-out-of the lab scent. But, hey, I'm a grown-up, I can wear what I want.

Many thanks on some really interesting suggestions! When I wrote the original post I wasn't sure how to properly phrase the "clean/non powdery" part. Apparently you good gents understood me...and that should concern most of you!
When Aqua Velva Musk came up, I thought that sounded familiar. When the boys went off to school four years ago(!!! Holy Crap...that long ago???) I sent them off with a tub of Proraso Green, a new brush, a bottle of Aqua Velva and some fresh cartridges. Each following Christmas Santa would put a fresh supply in their stockings. When the oldest came home in April (for good, it seems) following his three year stint, he brought home all of Santa's gifts, unopened. I immediately swiped his Proraso for my own use. This morning I went out to the garage to scrounge through his cartons of crap, and lo, there were Santa's three bottles of Aqua Velva, including Musk.
Yoink! Mine now, Bub.
Nice, clean and non powdery. I'll keep in mind all the other products mentioned, but for the next little while when I need something different and straight forward, well I'll be swimming in Aqua Velva.
And who says you don't get anything from a college education?:thumbup:

Bruce...you may also want to try Aqua Velva Ice SPORT, which has a very clean, fresh scent and is very nice to the skin. It's one of the few aftershaves my wife loves on me (although she also loves Old Spice, thank goodness). I think if your I up a bottle of AV Ice Sport you'll love it.

Another great shave, finished off with 4711 cologne as a splash. This stuff is just outstanding. Love the pure echt-kolonische-wasser scent. It fades fairly quickly, so it doesn't interfere. I sometimes use J. M. Farina or Cella Colonia, both also classic colognes, but they last longer.

Top Bottom